Bali port - walkable attractions?

CruiseeCrazee

I'm on a Celebrity cruise this autumn that stops overnight in Benoa (Bali). I don't have any interest in any of the shore excursions being offered, but I don't want to just not get off the ship in somewhere as special as Bali. I'd also rather not take my chances picking up a taxi at random from the port. Can anyone tell me if there's anything worth doing/seeing that's walkable from where the ship docks? For instance, a beach, or shopping, or attractions, or anything like that? 

Assuming you're going to Benoa, where most cruise lines stop, there's very little right near the port and even to get out of the port would take a walk of maybe 10 or 15 minutes or more.  And there's little in the port terminal.  This is based on our December 2019 visit to Bali.  We embarked there, and I didn't see any taxis waiting for anyone who wanted to use them.  But that was disembarkation/embarkation day, and things may have been slower than usual.  I do know that taxi drivers have to pay to get into the port, so I imagine not very many are willing to do that and just hang around to see if anyone needs them.   

What I would really, really recommend is to hire a driver before you go.  If you arrive in the afternoon and are there overnight, you'll have time to do some things not terribly close, but not terribly far, from the port.  If you're there a whole day, that's even better.  We used a driver to take us around the area of Ubud, which is culturally rich in scenery, culture, temples, etc.  He also took us to the port from Ubud where we overnighted, but that was only a few hours of the day.  He was great - personable, spoke good English (though his writing in emails pre-cruise wasn't perfect - but I totally understand that!) and his large vehicle was air conditioned and comfortable.  He can take you from one place on the island to another (airport, port, or tourist area) or you can hire him for a day (or two).  It may also be possible to have him pick you up and take you to a nice place for dinner somewhere, then pick you up and take you back to the port. Or there may be an evening performance of dance/drama (popular in Bali) also that is within easy reach of Benoa. You can pick something/somewhere you want to go, or ask him to suggest something.  Unless you're young, you may not want to go to the beaches that are west of Benoa.  But there is a famous temple out that way (Tanah Lot) which might be interesting.  And the beach of Sanur, other direction, is more sedate and nice to visit.  Anyway, the driver we used is Dewa ("day-wah") Gede and he has lived in Bali all his life.  I learned about him on the Ports of Call section of Cruise Critic, hired him, and now am recommending him.  Wonderful person, and a wonderful, low keyed but very informative person who provides a great way to see the beautiful island of Bali.  (And yes, I absolutely loved Bali.)  His email is dgrock1140 [at symbol] yahoo [dot] com.  I can give you other contact info if you want it. He is certainly not expensive at all, and very flexible, and only requires payment after he returns you to the ship.  You could probably spend a whole day with him and spend less than you would on one ship's excursion.  And you could see exactly what you'd want to see. I don't do many private excursions.  But in Bali, they're affordable, and they make great sense.  But I wouldn't count on taxis at the port....

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

There is absolutely nothing to see in Benoa - there are taxis available that you can take to Kuta for example - but I would recommend a private driver who can tailor a tour to suit your interests. Dewa, as mentioned in the previous post, is a very good choice - I used him several times during a longer stay.
Please note that Dewa is a very common name - many call their first born Dewa.

Definitely use a private guide. Hire one beforehand.   We also used Dewa.  Found him through this group.  He was excellent.  Lovely young man.  We had emailed back and forth discussing what I really wanted to see (Monkey Forest) and what he thought we would enjoy seeing. Fantastic 2 days.  

Edited by Mrs f.

On 6/19/2023 at 7:53 PM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Anyway, the driver we used is Dewa ("day-wah") Gede and he has lived in Bali all his life.  I learned about him on the Ports of Call section of Cruise Critic, hired him, and now am recommending him.  Wonderful person, and a wonderful, low keyed but very informative person who provides a great way to see the beautiful island of Bali.  (And yes, I absolutely loved Bali.)  His email is dgrock1140 [at symbol] yahoo [dot] com.  I can give you other contact info if you want it. He is certainly not expensive at all, and very flexible, and only requires payment after he returns you to the ship.  

I would love his whatsapp or other contact info. We are arriving 2 days prior to our January cruise and would love to make a private itinerary. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Bali Holiday Secrets is a Great Website for ideas on day trips & hiring drivers. I used them when I took a Land holiday there earlier this year & I can’t recommend them highly enough. There is so much to see there and the locals are still so happy to see tourists: they lost so much income when the island closed to tourists during the pandemic.

• 1 month later...

Getting a driver in Bali is the best way to see places of interest. Please don’t think it’s expensive to do so. They are extremely inexpensive, more obliging than taxi drivers, will look after you, know all the places you should see in your timeframe. And they really appreciate your business.

Going off at a tangent a little bit here but we'll be in Benoa next year for the best part of 3 days as it's a turnaround port on our world cruise. 

We're thinking of indulging in some pampering for our creaking old bodies whilst we're there ; can anyone recommend a reputable spa treatment/ massage in Denpasar at all?

Thanks.