Live Rookies experience Viking Homelands June 20 to July 4

cruisewiscrrq

9 minutes ago, cruisewiscrrq said:

In answer to Onesixtytoone. No, like typical guy I only read instructions as a last resort. Was depending on CC and should have gone to the source.  Live and learn by at 74 this one has not sunk in yet. 

The Port Talks are very useful. They are broadcast live on the stateroom TV so you don't have to go to the theater. They are also available on reply abut an hour or two after the presentation. Also, the tour director will be more than happy to answer any questions about any of the excursions beforehand.

Where is your next cruise?

3 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Did you attend the Port Talk where they describe the details of the tour?

This bothers me just a little about Viking. You shouldn't have to wait until the day before your tour (when it's too late to change arrangements) to hear the details of your tour. On another cruise line I travel with, they give you ALL the details before you book an excursion: distance of bus ride, number of stairs, distance to walk, washroom availability, food availability, etc., etc. You are then able to make an informed decision about the tour. Attached is an example of what is readily available: 

Screenshot 2023-06-30 160350.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

The Port Talks are very useful. They are broadcast live on the stateroom TV so you don't have to go to the theater. They are also available on reply abut an hour or two after the presentation. Also, the tour director will be more than happy to answer any questions about any of the excursions beforehand.

Why wait until you board the ship?  Why not email Viking and ask your questions when you are in the planning phase?

On our recent Viking Jupiter cruise, 600 folks went to Berlin for the day. My sister went and had a great time with her optional Viking tour once in Berlin. I went to Rostock  which was an also included  exclusion. it was a lovely walking tour with a guide from Wales who has lived in Germany for 30 years. Very informative.  We had 16 folks in our tour.

Gdansk was amazing . It was much more than I expected .Had one of the best guides of the whole cruise. 

I  see you have booked another cruise while onboard. We did too and got the same perks. 

Thank you for your informative trip report. 

21 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Why wait until you board the ship?  Why not email Viking and ask your questions when you are in the planning phase?

In line with waiting until the port talk the day before your excursion, why should you have to call Viking to get information that they could quite easily put on the website with the excursion description. It could potentially save them MANY phone calls and emails and/or unhappy people on the day of the tour.

• Like 5

On 6/30/2023 at 2:52 PM, cruisewiscrrq said:

Well we took Berlin on your own tour.  First a few comments about this tour from the planning stages.  I never got an accurate description of the tour.  I knew it was approximately two and a half hour train ride each way. That left something like 6+ hours in Berlin.  So I booked a private tour.  When we got there I found out there was an hour long bus tour of the highlights.  Only stop was at Brandenburg Gate.   We took this tour but it ended near TV Tower not back at train station so we never connected with our guide.  Money wasted!  We were then on our own until 3:40 PM.  We had reservations for the dome at the Reishstag dome.  So up Ave. of Lindens towards Brandenburg Gate.  Stopped for lunch a a cute German restaurant.  Enjoyed Wiener schnitzel and a German Pilsner.  Took audio tour of dome.  No cost but you must have reservations and your passport for identification.  Significant security.  Very impressive structure and great views but Berlin in my view not a beautiful city.  Back to bus pickup location near TV Tower in pretty little park. Then short bus ride back to train.  Viking kept us hydrated and fed both ways.  Mary skipped this tour and probably wise move as we missed our tour with driver.  Four the three of us very nice long day.  Just wish I could have known in advance what all was included in Viking on your one tour.

On our Jupiter last week, 600 guests took one of the train tours. We did yours, and after drop-off followed a Rick Steves walking tour that was very important to us. A few others opted out of the hour+ on the bus, and did their own thing the whole time (after of course making sure they knew where to meet for the bus back to the train).

Glad your day turned out ok but wish you had been able to connect with your private tour person! Did your guide point out, near Brandenburg gate, the British Embassy directly across from the EU building? I was sorry we had no opportunity to buy souvenirs at Checkpoint Charlie.

The welcome back from crew and staff at the ship’s dock was so powerful. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 4:40 PM, cruisewiscrrq said:

In answer to Onesixtytoone. No, like typical guy I only read instructions as a last resort. Was depending on CC and should have gone to the source.  Live and learn by at 74 this one has not sunk in yet. 

I have high hopes for you! So very glad your wife was able to participate in so much.

Two big disappointments so far, the ski resort thing and the missing of your private guide in Berlin. I’m almost afraid to read Gdańsk!

On 6/30/2023 at 4:57 PM, OneSixtyToOne said:

Sometimes one doesn’t know one has a question, until it’s too late!

On Jupiter, it took (they said) three hours before the taped broadcast showed up on TV. That was time enough for us. We didn’t miss ANY of the 9:15 pm entertainment. Why are there so few little cocktail tables in that venue?

On 6/30/2023 at 4:37 PM, cruisewiscrrq said:

Day 9- Gdansk. This was a big pleasant surprise today.  We booked a private tour through Tours by Locals.  Isabella was a great guide.  Good English, funny, informative, prompt, and adaptable to my wife’s reduced mobility.  Went first to Malbock Castle. One hour drive from Gdansk.  Very impressive castle that has been almost completely restored.  Exception is little to no furniture.  Largest brick castle in the world. Only down side was cobblestones and stairs for Mary.  We got to great chapter room which was very representative of rest of castle and she was had to wait there as other three toured rest of castle for a little over an hour.  For those of you considering private vs ship tour this is a good comparison. Viking offered same excursion ( castle and old town Gdansk) for $200/pp including lunch on 40+ bus). Our private tour was $135. We bought our own lunch at a restaurant in old town that was perfect with outdoor seating on main tourist street. Asked guide to stop at a Starbucks as one person collects mugs.  Took us to independent bookstore as Mary wanted to buy children’s books.  Tour of Gdansk included St. Mary’s church, green and gold gates, street between the gates, and detailed history lesson of Poland.  I have been impressed with Vikings optional tours but will admit that I usually do private and would consider doing more when we book with Viking again.  Which I did today to take advantage of $25 deposit, $200 OBC, $500 reduction in price, and final payment at 6 mo.  So all in all great day.  Sea day tomorrow 

Yay! Except for Mary having to wait for you.

The cobblestones everywhere really can be brutal.

My son is going to Gdańsk for the first time, on business, next week. I told him it’s very popular!

On 6/26/2023 at 7:26 AM, worldtraveler1234 said:

Thank you for your blog. We are boarding the Jupiter in Stockholm 7/2 for the Homelands cruise. This will be our seventh ocean cruise. It sounds like you will return to Viking again!

I hope you’re enjoying Jupiter as much as we did, the cruise before yours.

On 6/30/2023 at 4:06 PM, burnabyjean said:

This bothers me just a little about Viking. You shouldn't have to wait until the day before your tour (when it's too late to change arrangements) to hear the details of your tour. On another cruise line I travel with, they give you ALL the details before you book an excursion: distance of bus ride, number of stairs, distance to walk, washroom availability, food availability, etc., etc. You are then able to make an informed decision about the tour. Attached is an example of what is readily available: 

Screenshot 2023-06-30 160350.jpg

Great idea!

Please send an email to Viking explaining in a nice way your suggestion of having more details in written format on the excursions.  This would be great!

Instead of saying "Why can't you do this" perhaps make a positive suggestion to them and show the example you posted here.  I would chime in as well!   And don't wait for another cruise to do so.

Thank you!

• Like 3

On our recent Viking Jupiter cruise, 600 folks went to Berlin for the day. My sister went and had a great time with her optional Viking tour once in Berlin. I went to Rostock  which was an also included  exclusion. it was a lovely walking tour with a guide from Wales who has lived in Germany for 30 years. Very informative.  We had 16 folks in our tour.
Gdansk was amazing . It was much more than I expected .Had one of the best guides of the whole cruise. It was an optional tour of Two  Churches and organ concert. In this walking tour we had  21 folks. Had a hour of  free time to buy some Baltic Amber, and have a local  Gdansk beer and peroiges at an outdoor cafe on the pedestrian street .
 I  see you have booked another cruise while onboard. We did too and got the same perks. 
Thank you for your informative trip report.

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Great idea!

Please send an email to Viking explaining in a nice way your suggestion of having more details in written format on the excursions.  This would be great!

Instead of saying "Why can't you do this" perhaps make a positive suggestion to them and show the example you posted here.  I would chime in as well!   And don't wait for another cruise to do so.

Thank you!

Done! I just sent an email to tellus@vikingcruises.com. Now we wait to see if anything changes 🙂 .

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, burnabyjean said:

Done! I just sent an email to tellus@vikingcruises.com. Now we wait to see if anything changes 🙂 .

Please keep us posted here on CC. I would be interested in this cruise.

• Like 1

Well I have not fallen overboard but been very busy.  Sea day was great.  Slept in, Mamsens for waffles, booked future river cruise for fall of 24, lobster Thermidor for dinner, and good show in theater.  Got $400/pp off price, $25 deposit, $400 on board credit for this cruise which payed for most of purchases, and $150 on board credit for future cruise from our TA.  Never know this far out if health will stay good but with only $25 at risk why not.  One disappointment was could not book a September 2025 ocean cruise while onboard.  Not available yet.  Was told that you can not book ocean cruise while on river cruise as so few people that they do not have a travel person on board.

• Like 1