Flights from the UK

Kiwi_cruiser

We are currently on holiday in Scotland to catch with with family and friends who we have not seen in 3/4 years (Since Covid).

I thought while we where in Scotland / UK we might do a cruise or two from England or from Europe!, but I am amazed at how crazy the price of the flights to Europe is 😲.

We even thought we might be able to fly to the USA or Canada to do a relocation cruise back to New Zealand, but the flight prices are crazy! like 530+ pounds per person to fly to Canada! 😲

Anyone know what's up with the price of flights in the UK?!

Also what websites do you use to find flights from the uk?, I know about Skyscanner but they are a pain!

Kayak or Skyscanner (even if a pain) for cheapest flights.
There are good prices to Europe again, Ryan Air or Easyjet are normally the lowest to Europe, longer International flights are still high, I monitor on Kayak/Skyscanner until the price is right.

530 pounds to the US or canada is a good deal.  Some airlines are less expensive than others,  Consider Norwegian or Iceland Air.

My airfare from Seattle to London are rarely below 1176 pound for Comfort Plus.  A lot of the fare is taxes and port fees.  Flying from/to a secondary airport might be a savings.

10 hours ago, Meander Ingwa said:

My airfare from Seattle to London are rarely below 1176 pound for Comfort Plus.  A lot of the fare is taxes and port fees.  Flying from/to a secondary airport might be a savings.

is that per person?

Eight months ago I booked two BC return flights from the UK to Canada. They cost £5k. Three weeks later, the airline was charging over £20k for the same flights.  I tracked them with Google flights and they have been up and down, varying between £7k and £20k. No consistency. Strange.

One way long haul tickets are always expensive.

You can sometimes find cheaper flights by accepting some inconvenience.  For flights to US and Canada look to go via Dublin, Amsterdam, Brussels, Paris or less popular hubs such as Stockholm etc.

Cheap flights to mainland Europe should be available, but we are now in main school holidays in Scotland so prices won't be as low as earlier or later in the year.

It can sometimes be cheaper to book a package and not use the accommodation.

Google flights would be my go to and I'd only book through the airline website, not via an agent thrown up by Skyscanner or other similar sites, especially if a transit is required.

I use Google Flights particularly in the US to see if flying to a secondary airport and driving to destination is more cost effective than flights to my target city.  I am considering a trip to Philadelphia area.  I hate that airport and its surrounds.  I have to balance the price and convenience ( or not) of Newark or Baltimore

when scouting fares always make sure you use the dates of your prospective travel.  Short date booking ( flying today tomorrow or next week) will often command a very high price