Please help with selecting between two options!

glg85

Hi everyone! First time posting here and would REALLY appreciate helping us to decide which cruise to take. Our options are:

1. Crown Princess >> 11 nights, with BALCONY (back right corner of the ship, aft-starboard side), does not include Glacier Bay, includes Hubbard.

2. Sapphire Princess > 14 nights, INTERIOR room, includes Glacier Bay and Hubbard I definitely prefer the itinerary on this one, but it is just WAY too expensive with the balcony and there are no unobstructed ocean views left. 

I've posted screenshots of the full itineraries below.

I have done lots of reading already and I know that people say select Alaska by the itinerary, and I understand that there is merit to that statement, but I think it's more important to select by the EXPERIENCE you want to get out of it, and that's where I'm having difficulty since we haven't cruised before really (well I have ages ago, my wife and son (5yo) have not) and haven't been to Alaska.

So it comes down to: Worse itinerary but the experience of being able to wake up and enjoy coffee/breakfast on your private balcony while enjoying the scenery, vs a better itinerary but spending as little time in our room as possible.

Thank you!

Option 1: Crown Princess (Balcony aft-starboard)

image.png.2a66216240aadc7cbf0a730e7c8c4fda.png

Option 2: Sapphire Princess (Interior room)

image.png.443bbac8bd4d27b3478fc0f9788b8465.png

Edited by glg85

I would choose the shorter route because it includes Sitka and won't subject you to all the commercialization of two port calls in both Ketchikan and Juneau.

Have you thought about not doing the B2B Sapphire itinerary and instead just flying up to Anchorage and joining the ship for a one-way southbound cruise?  Maybe you could afford the balcony on the SB cruise, and have some time to do a little exploring of Southcentral Alaska in the process.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Gardyloo said:

I would choose the shorter route because it includes Sitka and won't subject you to all the commercialization of two port calls in both Ketchikan and Juneau.

Have you thought about not doing the B2B Sapphire itinerary and instead just flying up to Anchorage and joining the ship for a one-way southbound cruise?  Maybe you could afford the balcony on the SB cruise, and have some time to do a little exploring of Southcentral Alaska in the process.  

Interesting take. Appreciate the thoughtful response! I did think about doing something like that but ultimately decided against anything land-based since my mom and m-i-l are coming with us and neither are the most mobile/adventurous and we will also be with our 5yo son who can’t do long hikes. I do like the idea of going to a less commercialized place. Damn until now most people I’ve talked with have been saying the 2wk cruise is better because of Glacier Bar and Sapphire has the indoor pool. More to think about! 😂 

Edited by glg85

5 hours ago, glg85 said:

Hi everyone! First time posting here and would REALLY appreciate helping us to decide which cruise to take. Our options are:

1. Crown Princess >> 11 nights, with BALCONY (back right corner of the ship, aft-starboard side), does not include Glacier Bay, includes Hubbard.

2. Sapphire Princess > 14 nights, INTERIOR room, includes Glacier Bay and Hubbard I definitely prefer the itinerary on this one, but it is just WAY too expensive with the balcony and there are no unobstructed ocean views left. 

I've posted screenshots of the full itineraries below.

I have done lots of reading already and I know that people say select Alaska by the itinerary, and I understand that there is merit to that statement, but I think it's more important to select by the EXPERIENCE you want to get out of it, and that's where I'm having difficulty since we haven't cruised before really (well I have ages ago, my wife and son (5yo) have not) and haven't been to Alaska.

So it comes down to: Worse itinerary but the experience of being able to wake up and enjoy coffee/breakfast on your private balcony while enjoying the scenery, vs a better itinerary but spending as little time in our room as possible.

Thank you!

Option 1: Crown Princess (Balcony aft-starboard)

Option 2: Sapphire Princess (Interior room)

In making your decision you need to weigh the pros & cons, here's some points to consider.

Ships - Sapphire is one of the 2 Princess ships built in Japan, which are of vastly superior quality than the Italian built ships. Sapphire is also a basic Grand Class, which has about 500 less passengers. The Crown is a super-Grand, where they added an extra deck of cabins to the same hull. We find the super-Grands to be much more crowded. Adding additional cabins was one of the first changes made by Carnival when they bought P&O.

Glaciers - Glacier Bay may not have the most impressive glaciers, but in well over a couple of dozen visits, I have never failed to see a glacier. You also have information provided by the Park Rangers. Hubbard Glacier is definitely impressive, but I have failed to get up to the glacier a number of times. If seeing a glacier is critical, Glacier Bay is a better option.

Prince William Sound/College Glacier - this is impressive scenic cruising and as a further benefit, you can book the Phillips 26-Glacier cruise while in Whittier. This is an excellent excursion and leaves from close to the ship.

Ports - The B2B visits the same ports, which can be a benefit, as you get to check out an alternative tour on the following week. However, you are only visiting the standard ports. The R/T visits the same ports and in addition Sitka & Icy Point Strait, both of which are much less visited than the others. You also get a full day in Victoria.

Cabin - When cruising to Alaska in June, we often book an inside cabin, as we don't have issues with the extended daylight when trying to sleep.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

In making your decision you need to weigh the pros & cons, here's some points to consider.

Ships - Sapphire is one of the 2 Princess ships built in Japan, which are of vastly superior quality than the Italian built ships. Sapphire is also a basic Grand Class, which has about 500 less passengers. The Crown is a super-Grand, where they added an extra deck of cabins to the same hull. We find the super-Grands to be much more crowded. Adding additional cabins was one of the first changes made by Carnival when they bought P&O.

Glaciers - Glacier Bay may not have the most impressive glaciers, but in well over a couple of dozen visits, I have never failed to see a glacier. You also have information provided by the Park Rangers. Hubbard Glacier is definitely impressive, but I have failed to get up to the glacier a number of times. If seeing a glacier is critical, Glacier Bay is a better option.

Prince William Sound/College Glacier - this is impressive scenic cruising and as a further benefit, you can book the Phillips 26-Glacier cruise while in Whittier. This is an excellent excursion and leaves from close to the ship.

Ports - The B2B visits the same ports, which can be a benefit, as you get to check out an alternative tour on the following week. However, you are only visiting the standard ports. The R/T visits the same ports and in addition Sitka & Icy Point Strait, both of which are much less visited than the others. You also get a full day in Victoria.

Cabin - When cruising to Alaska in June, we often book an inside cabin, as we don't have issues with the extended daylight when trying to sleep.

Thanks for the lengthy reply! I think you hit all the points. As a person that LOVES his sleep I’m not sure if the inside room is more of a blessing or a curse, as I am definitely going to sleep in more than I should! We are definitely leaning more heavily towards the Sapphire now. Sitka and ISP will have to wait for another time! Now to decide on the excursions… any recommendations ?! 😆 

Book the 14 day and keep checking to see if an ocean view opens up.  Even though it is past final payment, I would find it hard to believe there would not be at least a few cancellations..

1 minute ago, CCJack said:

Book the 14 day and keep checking to see if an ocean view opens up.  Even though it is past final payment, I would find it hard to believe there would not be at least a few cancellations..

If the oceanview is unobstructed and marginally more we would consider it, but I think the biggest difference maker would be the balcony, and that’s just too far out of reach budget-wise right now. 

2 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

Sapphire is a back to back.  Can you book it as two cruises with a balcony on one leg and ocean view on the other?

We could certainly ask. It's definitely possible to do it in separate bookings each way, but given the relatively steep discount on the 14-day I doubt it would be worth it. But I will ask!