Is onboard ‘masking’ a thing of the past?

dcsam

None required at all on our recent cruise on Vista.  You saw a handful of people who were wearing, but very few. We packed a couple just in case we were somewhere out and about before and after cruise that may have requested them. But did not see any of that either. 

• Like 1

We just returned from 2 weeks in the south of Spain, France and Italy, including a lovely 9 day cruise on X, and the only mask wearing we saw was one family staying on the same deck as us.  None of the crew, tour drivers and guides, or any of the locals were wearing masks.

Based on this recent cruise, I would say masks are a thing of the past.

That family either had a medical issue or were a bit fanatical as they rarely left their cabin and took all their meals in the cabin. 

Edited by WayneLaR

Very few seen on current Vista cruise. In March on Marina, Covid was rampant aboard ship and the crew went to 100% mandatory masks. We, along with many others, started masking up ourselves. We bring them whether we wear them or not.

• Like 2

On Marina now. Board yesterday.  I saw very few masks.  It is quite a change from my 2022 cruises when many people wore masks.  I did wear a mask on the plane.  Even there most people didn’t wear masks.  People are living like the pandemic is over.  We even shared a table for lunch. That didn’t happen on previous cruises.  I brought masks and hope not to need them.

In Europe (I am Swiss and live in Switzerland) masks are history now even in hospitals (of course they are worn during surgery as usual!).   I would be astonished to the point of cancelling any cruise or transport that required me to wear a mask.  Covid is with us to stay - just like influenza - and we have to get on with our lives.  Until about a month ago I did carry a mask in my handbag but when I realised I hadn't put it on for months I chucked it.   

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

In Europe (I am Swiss and live in Switzerland) masks are history now even in hospitals (of course they are worn during surgery as usual!).   I would be astonished to the point of cancelling any cruise or transport that required me to wear a mask.   

It's the same in Denmark. I work in a hospital, and masks are "over."

18 minutes ago, ExpatBride said:

It's the same in Denmark. I work in a hospital, and masks are "over."

We just returned from the Nautica cruising Dubai to Barcelona.  The masking situation changed over the course of the cruise.  At the beginning very few passengers and virtually no staff wore masks. About 2/3 of the way through the cruise all staff started wearing masks and so did many passengers.  They also removed any ability for passengers to get their own food (i.e. morning croissants near the coffee machines).  There must have been an outbreak of some sort.  A fellow passenger said they heard it was a stomach virus.  That would explain the “no touch” food policy but not the masks as norovirus is spread by touch and not by air.  This does point out that the mask situation can be fluid.