Cruise deferral offer?

jsglow

So a thought just occurred to me about a business strategy Carnival could employ in theory.  Remember the 'overbooking' problem over at RCCL?  Well to date that hasn't been a problem here at CCL. But what if they simply tried to entice booked passengers to reschedule their cruises for some future date with a locked in rate and some FCC so as to create 'available inventory' this summer when everything seems to be already sold out? Nobody is forced, mind you. Just asked.  

So let's say I had a $800pp Balcony booked on the July 8th 7 night Vista cruise that Carnival, if they could, would sell today at $2500pp.  But she's totally sold out so that's not possible. Well, they 'could' offer the holder of that cabin the option to reschedule, make it totally worth their while to do so, and probably make some nice money for the company in the process. Cabins are going for 'scalper' prices here in peak season.  I'd potentially think some cruisers might be open to that kind of phone call. I know I would be.

Thoughts?

1 minute ago, 787cruiser said:

im not entirely sure that's legal, its a bit different when you "overbook" and need to entice people off.

Perhaps you're correct but I can't really see a victim so why should such a legal hurdle exist? Oh wait, that never stopped the government before.

1 hour ago, jsglow said:

So a thought just occurred to me about a business strategy Carnival could employ in theory.  Remember the 'overbooking' problem over at RCCL?  Well to date that hasn't been a problem here at CCL. But what if they simply tried to entice booked passengers to reschedule their cruises for some future date with a locked in rate and some FCC so as to create 'available inventory' this summer when everything seems to be already sold out? Nobody is forced, mind you. Just asked.  

So let's say I had a $800pp Balcony booked on the July 8th 7 night Vista cruise that Carnival, if they could, would sell today at $2500pp.  But she's totally sold out so that's not possible. Well, they 'could' offer the holder of that cabin the option to reschedule, make it totally worth their while to do so, and probably make some nice money for the company in the process. Cabins are going for 'scalper' prices here in peak season.  I'd potentially think some cruisers might be open to that kind of phone call. I know I would be.

Thoughts?

I see Travel agencies jumping into that

Princess does this all the time when they overbook gty.  They call it a Move Over offer.  And sometimes a Move Down (to a lower category).   Move to another cruise and get the cost of the previous cruise back as OBC.  I think there are other details.  Nothing new.  EM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Princess does this all the time when they overbook gty.  They call it a Move Over offer.  And sometimes a Move Down (to a lower category).   Move to another cruise and get the cost of the previous cruise back as OBC.  I think there are other details.  Nothing new.  EM

No, there's a difference between overbooking and needing to get customers to rebook and what the OP is suggesting which is to effectively buy out a customers cheaper fare to then sell that same space for a higher price.

9 hours ago, jsglow said:

Thoughts?

They're effectively doing this now by giving people upgrade offers.

Example with made up numbers. You paid $400pp for your interior 2 years ago. We are now about 6 months until embarkation. The ship is now nearly full and the few interiors they have left are selling for $700pp. Carnival offers to upgrade you to a balcony for $300pp, so you get a balcony for $700pp (same price as the interior) and Carnival can sell your interior for $700.