Advice on Hawaii cruises

C4HCG

Just now, prmssk said:

If you get a chance, take a trip out to Koalua Ranch. It has been used to film portions of many movies and tv shows (including Hawaii Five-O, Lost, Jumanji, Jurassic World, Jurassic Park, Godzilla, etc.) and the scenery is breathtaking. 

Thank you, we will. My wife has watched Elvis films fron

hawai too

We’ve been staying at the Ilikai the last few years and love the studio Apts there. It is right beside the Hilton Hawaiian that you are looking at. The prices are more reasonable at the Ilikai. We book it through Waikiki Beach rentals and have had no issues at all. They have the largest balconies, huge heated pool and they are oceanview units. Check it out. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2023 at 4:04 PM, Cruise Junky said:

We’ve done it twice.  Both ways.  The two days in and out of Vancouver were coolish and windy.   

We’ve only done it one way once (YVR-HNL), but, for us, it was not very nice weather until day 4-5, 

8 hours ago, Mark_K said:

We’ve only done it one way once (YVR-HNL), but, for us, it was not very nice weather until day 4-5, 

Then you factor in the weather lately and anything can happen!  It was just easier and so much better for me to fly to Honolulu and home from Vancouver!  I have been to Hawaii many times; loved hiking in the NA Pali Cliffs, but never been by ship.  

50 minutes ago, CaribbeanBound said:

It's rather magical by ship to see the coasts of each island from the sea, especially if you have already explored the land.

I sat on the promenade as we approached Maui just after sunrise, a moment that has stayed with me, and it definitely was magical.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2023 at 8:50 AM, vickykay said:

Good morning.   We stayed at the Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort.  Loved it.  It’s actually not on Waikiki but on a small beach about a ten minute walk from the hotels on Waikiki Beach.  We had an Oceanview Club Room which included a terrific breakfast and Happy Hour ( enough for dinner).  It was pricy but we were celebrating our 50th anniversary.   Be sure to book a north shore tour.

Aloha. Happy Anniversary!

We are still hoping to book this cruise (awaiting TA confirming). Wondering about the first two days both in Honolulu and the midnight sail away on day 2. So the ship doesn’t move until then? And will they offer excursions on day 2? And sail away - we always have enjoyed the mid afternoon ones - do they do anything special at that time?

32 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

We are still hoping to book this cruise (awaiting TA confirming). Wondering about the first two days both in Honolulu and the midnight sail away on day 2. So the ship doesn’t move until then? And will they offer excursions on day 2? And sail away - we always have enjoyed the mid afternoon ones - do they do anything special at that time?

Yes, the ship didn't move until about midnight the second day on our cruise.  I don't recall anything special for sail away (and I'm not seeing anything when I scan the planners) but to be honest, I wasn't up that late with all the touring we did in O'ahu and the excursion plans for Maui the next day.

Once we checked in on day 1, we could come and go as we liked and the gangway stayed open through the night.  And then they did offer quite a few excursions on day 2.

33 minutes ago, prmssk said:

Yes, the ship didn't move until about midnight the second day on our cruise.  I don't recall anything special for sail away (and I'm not seeing anything when I scan the planners) but to be honest, I wasn't up that late with all the touring we did in O'ahu and the excursion plans for Maui the next day.

Once we checked in on day 1, we could come and go as we liked and the gangway stayed open through the night.  And then they did offer quite a few excursions on day 2.

Thank you, very helpful and much appreciated 

10 minutes ago, vickykay said:

We went to Pearl Harbor on our own the second day the ship was in 

port.  We booked the tickets as soon as opened.   

We want to go there too, an opportunity not to be missed.

5 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Seen that one, on our list of potentials. Thank you.

We stayed there in November after our Tahiti to Honolulu cruise.  We rented a car, went to the North shore.  Much more laid back.  Beautiful beaches there which were basically empty during the weekdays.  The Hyatt was a great Waikiki location right at the Dukes beach, not in the craziness of the shopping district.  Don't miss a vist to the Royal Hawaiian Hotel.

Edited by jbcallender
  • Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 8:57 AM, C4HCG said:

My wife has her eye on the hilton with the rainbow, seen it on Hawaii 5 0 I think! I need to start saving up looking at the prices!!!

We have made the decision and are trying to book but our useless TA only does booking amendments by email so awaiting actual confirmation.

🤞

On 6/23/2023 at 8:57 AM, C4HCG said:

My wife has her eye on the hilton with the rainbow, seen it on Hawaii 5 0 I think! I need to start saving up looking at the prices!!!

We have made the decision and are trying to book but our useless TA only does booking amendments by email so awaiting actual confirmation.

As mentioned, weather can not be predicted, but we just sailed from Honolulu to Vancouver this past May 2-11. (On another cruise line)

The  weather was quite good. The 5 sea days were warm enough to sit outside and enjoy the sun, and since the outdoor pool was heated we were able to swim everyday.

Sometimes a bit rocky but nothing I would complain about.

Before the cruise we stayed for 2 nights at the Royal Hawaiian. Loved it. It sits on a lush green property. It has a beautiful  pool area, great staff, and is walkable to shopping, restaurants and beach in Waikiki. ( found a deal for it at one of those big box stores😉)

• Like 1

We booked the Hilton Waikiki village - just because elvis stopped there 😂my wife is a big fan. Literally done it this afternoon as we only got confirmation of the cruise booking today

Edited by C4HCG

1 hour ago, Newcruiser2024 said:

Right, I remember Elvis going there in a movie. Enjoy! I love Hawaii. Have you been there before?

No, first time, wife very giddy. We wanted to do the pearl harbour trip day 2 booked up!

3 hours ago, Newcruiser2024 said:

We went to Pearl Harbor, and also to the north shore. I recommend the north shore. The east part of Oahu is beautiful, also. We didn't go to the pineapple plantation but I wish we had.

We plan to look at the excursions tomorrow