National Geographic Parnership

Mary229

4 minutes ago, erdufylla said:

I don’t disagree with your general response, but I’m not sure which generation you keep referring to. Young Baby Boomers and older Gen Xers are the ones reaching typical retirement age right now, and I’m not sure sustainability has ever been an overwhelmingly typical rallying cry from either of those generations on the whole. The next generation down the ladder, Millennials (the oldest of whom are in their early 40s now), and the one after that, Gen Z (the oldest of whom are in their early 20s), tend to be much more invested in sustainability as a hallmark of their generations.

If I had to guess, I’d assume HAL is trying to target a 30-50yo demographic (younger Gen Xers and Millennials) with this sustainability approach, to lock in some loyalty with a younger audience that’s pre-retirement but might have some acquired wealth and will be retiring within the next 15-35 years.

I am a complete idiot. I am a retired Gen X (not a Gen Z). What bugs me is that I continue to make the exact same mistake over and over. Somehow I got Gen Z in my head and can't unlearn it. It should make sense since the 80's were a wild and crazy time and X marks that spot better than Z . Thank you for pointing out my error. I'll see if the mods can fix. 

• Like 1

No worries! It doesn’t help that the generation names can be so fluid at times. I’m an older Millennial, on that cusp with Gen X, and I know when I was a kid, we were often referred to as “Gen Z” or “Gen Next” or any multitude of names before the term “Millennial” was solidified. I just wasn’t sure which age group you were referring to. 🙂 

• Like 1

Great book about Naples - Between Saltwater and Holy Water.

It was a leading Mediterranean seaport for centuries - a truly international global commerce port at the crossroads of the east, west and North African trade routes, on into into Northern Europe. This  created  immense wealth due to its pivotal location by the sea, when water was the only way to move goods and cover long distances.  

This position was later overtaken by railroads in the mid 19th Century and Naples fell into a backwater, but with a historical and architectural legacy unmatched by few other cities. Maritime history of Naples, with also includes its maritime resources is part of the warp and woof of this city.

One can still feel a lot of "Italy" in Naples still, as the country has become more generic and overly impacted by tourism as found  in other famous Italian cites. Naples is not for the faint of hear,t on first impressions. So digging more into what keeps it alive today is a very worthy approach to take.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I am a complete idiot. I am a retired Gen X (not a Gen Z). What bugs me is that I continue to make the exact same mistake over and over. Somehow I got Gen Z in my head and can't unlearn it. It should make sense since the 80's were a wild and crazy time and X marks that spot better than Z . Thank you for pointing out my error. I'll see if the mods can fix. 

From my War Baby demographic arrogance and growing ennui, I just call the whole thing Gens XYZ because I lose track of them as much as they are surprised to learn I am still alive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

Great book about Naples - Between Saltwater and Holy Water.

It was a leading Mediterranean seaport for centuries - a truly international global commerce port at the crossroads of the east, west and North African trade routes, on into into Northern Europe. This  created  immense wealth due to its pivotal location by the sea, when water was the only way to move goods and cover long distances.  

This position was later overtaken by railroads in the mid 19th Century and Naples fell into a backwater, but with a historical and architectural legacy unmatched by few other cities. Maritime history of Naples, with also includes its maritime resources is part of the warp and woof of this city.

One can still feel a lot of "Italy" in Naples still, as the country has become more generic and overly impacted by tourism as found  in other famous Italian cites. Naples is not for the faint of hear,t on first impressions. So digging more into what keeps it alive today is a very worthy approach to take.

Yes, indeed. I recommended Naples to a youngster😂 yesterday.  Of course everyone at lunch was a scientist.  

• Like 3

Holland America wants to get Millennials because otherwise they aren’t going to be able to backfill the Baby Boomers that are not going to be able to cruise any more.  And for reference, your elder Millennials are turning 40.   Especially with people waiting until later in life to have children, there is a market for those without kids but who don’t want a party boat atmosphere.  Honestly why I like MSC in the states, because compared to Carnival and even Princess their cultural differences create a more relaxed big ship experience even outside of yacht club.  Yes they have a lot more kids, but they also have very good programming for the kids so that they aren’t likely to be running around all the time.

With  luck, the leader of  the National Geo Naples maritime tour will treat you to a few verses of Santa Lucia, Naples famous fisherman's  song about his little boat - Santa Lucia and the fisherman's wharf area in the heart of the city also called Santa Lucia.

Pavarotti lets you know how this is supposed to be sung, but I think it still comes readily from the lips of any true Neapolitan. We even got our public bus driver to sing it once, when we were stuck in traffic. 

• Like 2

This may make me consider a ship excursion. Anything that focuses on nature or science is going to peak my interest. I enjoy learning the history of an area with a competent guide but have a limited tolerance for cities and crowds so something that would balance the two interest would be great.

I haven't been on a ship excursion since my first cruise. I had a hiking excursion booked with my HIA freebie on our recent Norway cruise but it was canceled, so I did it by myself. But something lead by an expert in the field, I would consider that.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

This may make me consider a ship excursion. Anything that focuses on nature or science is going to peak my interest. I enjoy learning the history of an area with a competent guide but have a limited tolerance for cities and crowds so something that would balance the two interest would be great.

I haven't been on a ship excursion since my first cruise. I had a hiking excursion booked with my HIA freebie on our recent Norway cruise but it was canceled, so I did it by myself. But something lead by an expert in the field, I would consider that.

I doubt this is really going to be substantial changes in those excursions (with a few exceptions), just now some premium ones will have National Geographic branding.  Very much like the Princess partnership with Discovery.

6 minutes ago, mowogo said:

I doubt this is really going to be substantial changes in those excursions (with a few exceptions), just now some premium ones will have National Geographic branding.  Very much like the Princess partnership with Discovery.

I can hope🤞

• Like 1