National Geographic Parnership

Mary229

Kind of reminds me the Discovery tours on Princess.  Not sure I would get that excited.

HAL seems to have this fixation on having to partner with entities with name recognition for everything (BBC, Lincoln Center, BB King, etc) instead of doing quality things on their own 

Edited by ldtr

34 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Kind of reminds me the Discovery tours on Princess.  Not sure I would get that excited.

HAL seems to have this fixation on having to partner with entities with name recognition for everything (BBC, Lincoln Center, BB King, etc) instead of doing quality things on their own 

They did do their own package in Alaska, see recent thread.  There they have expertise and connections.  I agree it would be better to create their own.  However this indicates their dedication to the traveler’s program.  I a, thinking, except for the Caribbean, they are moving away from the entertainment at sea model. 

• Like 2

I recall a thread lamenting the tie-ins that HAL has had...

Lincoln Center, America's Test Kitchen, Chateau St. Michelle, BB Kings, Rolling Stone, Billboard, BBC Earth, et. al.  Not sure why anybody would get excited about another one...

2 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

I recall a thread lamenting the tie-ins that HAL has had...

Lincoln Center, America's Test Kitchen, Chateau St. Michelle, BB Kings, Rolling Stone, Billboard, BBC Earth, et. al.  Not sure why anybody would get excited about another one...

Add Le Cirque to your list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

Yes. They had some talented in house managers that could do great programs. They got rid of them in the 2018-2019 overhaul (some retired or passed). It's probably easier to have a 3rd party handle these but we did a "Food and Wine partner" tour in July that was worthless. (Although there are hits on some tours). I think maybe consistency would be better with more HAL control. But still looking forward to seeing what the next few years bring. 

• Like 1

HAL's former EXC In-Depth cruises on the Maasdam were their own, self created and excellent product.  Heading back in that direction again, albeit with a less immersive, is welcome.

Plus younger generations are more concerned about the environmental and cultural impacts of mass tourism, which HAL is at least showing some sensitivity to acknowledging. Overly-impacted ports are rapidly losing their appeal, and their welcome for all considered.

A first time HAL cruiser to Alaska was pressed to ask ...why are there so many Diamond shops in Alaska?  With Del Sol and Bamboo sheets soon to follow.

So this new direction and early partnership to try new things with National Geographic, is just  a helping hand at this point. Good way to introduce fleet wide continuity of product first, then tweak it later for what works best for HAL.

I think this is a sound marketing direction to take for this particular twixt and tween cruise line - not small enough to be premium luxury, not large enough to just sell generic onboard entertainments.

HAL is somewhere in-between --- retaining travel itself as a destination, and travel itself as an adventure. Best wishes, HAL. Thanks for seeking new ways to find your unique niche,  and not just playing catch-up to other's bigger is better cruise line models.

• Like 6

This is a bit different than other branded activities.  Entertainment packages can be replicated across the fleet regardless of destination .  Onshore activities require local expertise .  Currently they hire contractors for tours with the exception of Alaska and as noted earlier they have announced new improvements to that experience and those do draw on HAL’s own expertise.  

Please note National Geo has had partnerships with expedition cruises and specialty small line cruises for years and has “boots on the ground”. They also have programs used by university and other charter programs.  This is an extra cost program.  This is not the onboard enrichment program.  

• Like 2

I'm not quite sure what to make of this announcement. In theory, a partnership with Nat Geo doesn't sound like a bad thing but I am puzzled by their choice to roll out this program on their Mediterranean cruises. 

If there is one place where most cruise ship passengers are interested in history and historic sites, it would have to be the Med with its great classic cities like Rome, Athens, Naples, Florence, etc. The Nat Geo excursions, on the other hand, are more about nature, ecology, etc. I feel the approach would be better suited to places like Iceland and Greenland, or Alaska, or the South Pacific.

I have been in Naples about a gazillion times (a rough estimate 🤣) on both land visits and cruise stops, and I still have not exhausted all the many places and things to see there to the extent where I'd consider taking a shore excursion about a day in the life of a marine biologist!

There is so much history and art and culture there for the taking. Sadly, we seem to have entered an era where people would rather take food tours and feel that they learn more about a given country by a planned "meeting with locals" than by studying the achievements (and mistakes) of the past that so often give valuable insights to current events and situations.

I realize the above is my viewpoint, with which many probably will not agree. But really, it does seem odd to introduce this new program in this location. 

I will stay tuned.

@cruisemom42  that puzzled me also.  I assumed that being a trial run they likely selected the cheapest option in one of the largest markets giving it the greatest chance to succeed.  Greenland, Iceland, etc… tend to have rather expensive tour options due to distances, remoteness and a small population of local guides.

My university did use some NG guides on an alumni trip to the Med and yes, it was a natural history tour.  I was not able to participate but it sounded like a fun tour called Vineyards and volcanos. 

I hope this can evolve into is more overland excursions for long cruises, with or without NG.  One of my most memorable journeys was 4 days overland  to Iguazu Falls.

@Idtr. Though I have never participated in Princess European discovery tours the descriptions I have read sound like the typical whirlwind through Europe bus tours.  I think the NG tour is likely to be far more specialized

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mary229 said:

This may be an exciting new development.  HAL may be getting serious at its new mission as the traveler’s cruise line of choice

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/holland-america-line-introduces-national-201300253.html

Thanks for posting this. Great timing as it looks like our next HAL cruise this fall should "make the cut" (Oosterdam from Trieste) but don't see anything yet. Will be keeping watch closely though as this is right up hubby's alley.

• Like 3

I like it. 

As @Mary229 said, it's a commitment to the traveler with a spin on sustainability.

IMO. The sustainability aspect will likely appeal to all the Gen X's who are entering retirement age.  I think this is HAL's niche. Longer cruises with more in-depth discovery. Less about the ship and more about the ports. I would love to spend a day in the life of a marine biologist in Naples. 

The article stated it would launch on the Nieuw Statendam. I did a quick search for fall dates and the prices are attractive.

image.png.c2a222d4ad4efb6b323b8a8f78a2aa4c.png

PS: That repositioning cruise on the Nieuw Statendam already $35 a day (usually those discounts come closer to sailing). It's cheaper than staying home.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

discovery. Less about the ship and more about the ports

For me, if I wanted a resort experience, I would go to a resort, if I wanted the Las Vegas experience, I would go to Nevada.  We are a much more urban and tech focused people now, we have access to theater, concerts , restaurants year round and online. I think there was a day that many peoples’ only entertainment outings were the vacation.  Cruising is changing.  There are still lines for resorting, lines for family vacations but I am glad to see HAL attempting to serve as a semi-mass market experience into expedition cruising.  They are making a lot of right moves

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Mary229 said:

For me, if I wanted a resort experience, I would go to a resort, if I wanted the Las Vegas experience, I would go to Nevada.  We are a much more urban and tech focused people now, we have access to theater, concerts , restaurants year round and online. I think there was a day that many peoples’ only entertainment outings were the vacation.  Cruising is changing.  There are still lines for resorting, lines for family vacations but I am glad to see HAL attempting to serve as a semi-mass market experience into expedition cruising.  They are making a lot of right moves

I agree 100%. I think HAL is making some good moves that appeal to this retired Gen X. I'm still not convinced that occupancy is over 100% given the pricing offered, but that may come with time. 

With that, we still do like resort cruising on the big gals with super high energy so I am booked B2B on two 'resort' cruises this January. The cost was about 75% less than a resort so that was a nice bonus. There is a place in the market for that style of cruising also.

The other mainstream lines are better equipped to handle the 'bus runs' south for those looking for a resort. HAL's niche is longer cruises and no one can touch their very inexpensive pricing (comparatively) for semi-expedition cruising. 

I do like it. 

• Like 4

Man, for those interested in trying out this new National Geographic idea, this looks like an excellent itinerary at an attractive price point.

25 Nights on the Nieuw Statendam departing October 15th.

Inside: $1,600

Oceanview: $2,200

Balcony: $2,300

Suite: $4,200

These are entry level pricing (no HIA) but come with about $500 in OBC. 

I use $100 a night in a balcony as my base for attractive pricing and this one ticks off that box and I could spend a day with a marine biologist in Naples 🙂. Unfortunately we have a 3 week hiking adventure already planned, but I hope someone can take advantage of this offer. 

image.png.96cc21cd21882082aec7ec1d750a24e0.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I agree 100%. I think HAL is making some good moves that appeal to this retired Gen Z. I'm still not convinced that occupancy is over 100% given the pricing offered, but that may come with time. 

With that, we still do like resort cruising on the big gals with super high energy so I am booked B2B on two 'resort' cruises this January. The cost was about 75% less than a resort so that was a nice bonus. There is a place in the market for that style of cruising also.

The other mainstream lines are better equipped to handle the 'bus runs' south for those looking for a resort. HAL's niche is longer cruises and no one can touch their very inexpensive pricing (comparatively) for semi-expedition cruising. 

I do like it. 

With the growth of the resort ships, HAL has become a small ship operator with the newest ships still holding less than the Carnival Conquest. Because of this HAL has to sell the destinations more, and gets to take advantage of the trend of newer ships being too large for many ports.  By keeping the price point at the mass market cruise line point, they are able to provide a natural evolution for the CCL customer that may not be able to step up to Cunard or Seabourn.  

• Like 4

It sounds interesting but at what price point?  This way both HAL and Nat Geo have to make a profit along with the actual tour provider.  Looks like there will be more middlemen.

36 minutes ago, ldog said:

It sounds interesting but at what price point?  This way both HAL and Nat Geo have to make a profit along with the actual tour provider.  Looks like there will be more middlemen.

There are already middlemen for nearly all shore excursions ships offer. HAL doesn't want to be in the business of scouting the sites, hiring and training the guides, insuring the transportation, etc. They hire all that out. 

I'm sure these excursions won't come cheap, but sometimes you have to pay for the "good stuff" (if it's worth it to you). In the past I've easily paid $500-600 for a private guide and vehicle for myself for the day to get to some nearby place that's not included in regular tours....  Most of these experiences have been excellent.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The sustainability aspect will likely appeal to all the Gen Z's who are entering retirement age.

I don’t disagree with your general response, but I’m not sure which generation you keep referring to. Young Baby Boomers and older Gen Xers are the ones reaching typical retirement age right now, and I’m not sure sustainability has ever been an overwhelmingly typical rallying cry from either of those generations on the whole. The next generation down the ladder, Millennials (the oldest of whom are in their early 40s now), and the one after that, Gen Z (the oldest of whom are in their early 20s), tend to be much more invested in sustainability as a hallmark of their generations.

If I had to guess, I’d assume HAL is trying to target a 30-50yo demographic (younger Gen Xers and Millennials) with this sustainability approach, to lock in some loyalty with a younger audience that’s pre-retirement but might have some acquired wealth and will be retiring within the next 15-35 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1