Advice please on Price Difference Anomaly

Mauzac

Hoping for some wise words on this Board 🙂🙂

I'll try and be brief.  We are UK based, very close to being a Diamond member, have two cruises upcoming and the one in question we booked last December, it is a 2 week cruise due to embark in 43 days, V2.  We have paid our final bill.

We received a promotional email from our (well known UK based) TA.  Our upcoming cruise has a special offer on.  Upgrade V2 to V4 (not worried about that, we like the suite we have chosen)

However, the price difference is enormous.    If we were to book today we would be paying £3,562 ($4,530) less than what we did pay (for a 14 day cruise).  It would possibly be even more than that once the TA savings are factored in.  I contacted the TA who in turn contacted SB.  Whilst I do not expect any credit as far as refunds, I was expecting some OBC to soften the blow especially as we have a lot of SB excursions booked and paid for.and costing ££££.  The TA has come back to me, SB will not offer anything.  Zilch.  They say it is a special offer for customers booking now and there is nothing at all they can offer us.  

We are so disappointed about this, as we are loyal to SB, and we've recommended 4 family and friends to SB who have taken numerous cruises.  In the past we have actually had some price adjustments if this has happened before paying our final bill.  We have written to Guest Relations in US but our TA informs us it can be up to 28 days for any reply or even acknowledgement.

Has anyone had this sort of experience?  Any advice gratefully received.  

Signed Mr & Mrs Disappointed from UK 😂

Edited by Mauzac
Spelling mistake
  • Like 1

• Mauzac changed the title to Advice please on Price Difference Anomaly

It is annoying , but I can understand Seabourn,  If a cruise is still not full after final payments they will try to fill the remaining cabins but to reduce the price for everybody would be much too costly. I would not be surprised if they do not come back with an offer of on board credit but not for the full amount,

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dalliowner said:

It is annoying , but I can understand Seabourn,  If a cruise is still not full after final payments they will try to fill the remaining cabins but to reduce the price for everybody would be much too costly. I would not be surprised if they do not come back with an offer of on board credit but not for the full amount,

Thank you.  Totally agree.

To be honest, but keep this to yourself (and the rest of the CC Board 😂) we would have been happy with just a gesture, not the full amount obviously.. anything in OBC really to acknowledge our disappointment.  It was the categoric 'SB are not prepared to offer anything' that took us aback. 

It has made us rethink our loyalty to SB somewhat, to be honest 😕

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mauzac said:

Hoping for some wise words on this Board 🙂🙂

I'll try and be brief.  We are UK based, very close to being a Diamond member, have two cruises upcoming and the one in question we booked last December, it is a 2 week cruise due to embark in 43 days, V2.  We have paid our final bill.

We received a promotional email from our (well known UK based) TA.  Our upcoming cruise has a special offer on.  Upgrade V2 to V4 (not worried about that, we like the suite we have chosen)

However, the price difference is enormous.    If we were to book today we would be paying £3,562 ($4,530) less than what we did pay (for a 14 day cruise).  It would possibly be even more than that once the TA savings are factored in.  I contacted the TA who in turn contacted SB.  Whilst I do not expect any credit as far as refunds, I was expecting some OBC to soften the blow especially as we have a lot of SB excursions booked and paid for.and costing ££££.  The TA has come back to me, SB will not offer anything.  Zilch.  They say it is a special offer for customers booking now and there is nothing at all they can offer us.  

We are so disappointed about this, as we are loyal to SB, and we've recommended 4 family and friends to SB who have taken numerous cruises.  In the past we have actually had some price adjustments if this has happened before paying our final bill.  We have written to Guest Relations in US but our TA informs us it can be up to 28 days for any reply or even acknowledgement.

Has anyone had this sort of experience?  Any advice gratefully received.  

Signed Mr & Mrs Disappointed from UK 😂

That is really disappointing to hear.  I am just shy of diamond too and in the UK. I also have had very limited or no success in recent years in appealing to seabourn via my respected ta in the face of large price drops (but not as large as this).  It led, in 2018, to me cancelling a cruise and losing my deposit (clearly you are past this stage) and losing included flights, to save over £2000 each as they would offer nothing.  I rebooked the same cabin. 

• Like 1

Take it on the chin as you were obviously happy with the price and deal at the time you booked.

There will always be a cheaper price and sometimes a dearer price for the cruise that you booked.

Imagine if your cruise had gone up by three grand then you would be singing a different tune.

Supply and demand is the factor as in most of the hospitality areas.

You might even be lucky and get a little recompense.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Take it on the chin as you were obviously happy with the price and deal at the time you booked.

There will always be a cheaper price and sometimes a dearer price for the cruise that you booked.

Imagine if your cruise had gone up by three grand then you would be singing a different tune.

Supply and demand is the factor as in most of the hospitality areas.

You might even be lucky and get a little recompense.

Fingers crossed.

Very true and at the time we were happy (ish!) with the price.  I think if it had just been £1K or so we would've taken it on the chin... or if it had been a 65 day Voyage like we did last year.  It was just the massive price difference that did it!  

As you say, we might get lucky... if not perhaps we might be booking last minute (although that doesn't always work does it...)

3 hours ago, Mauzac said:

Very true and at the time we were happy (ish!) with the price.  I think if it had just been £1K or so we would've taken it on the chin... or if it had been a 65 day Voyage like we did last year.  It was just the massive price difference that did it!  

As you say, we might get lucky... if not perhaps we might be booking last minute (although that doesn't always work does it...)

Last minute = what's left

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Last minute = what's left

The "what's left" applies not only to your choice of cabin, but also to excursions and TKG bookings, not to mention that the cruise could get sold out if you wait too long. 

I understand the disappointment in not getting the best deal possible as well as the disappointment in not being offered at least token compensation, especially for a passenger who is almost at the Diamond level.  In no way, however, would that ever prevent me from further bookings if otherwise I was happy with the cruiseline, which you obviously are based on your numerous previous cruises.

The money is already spent, and you did so willingly.  Now enjoy your cruise, which I bet you will!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

The "what's left" applies not only to your choice of cabin, but also to excursions and TKG bookings, not to mention that the cruise could get sold out if you wait too long. 

I understand the disappointment in not getting the best deal possible as well as the disappointment in not being offered at least token compensation, especially for a passenger who is almost at the Diamond level.  In no way, however, would that ever prevent me from further bookings if otherwise I was happy with the cruiseline, which you obviously are based on your numerous previous cruises.

The money is already spent, and you did so willingly.  Now enjoy your cruise, which I bet you will!

Thank you, I am sure we will have a fab time!

I was just a tad aggrieved but if SB comes back to me with anything, I will update the thread 👍😃

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mauzac said:

Thank you, I am sure we will have a fab time!

I was just a tad aggrieved but if SB comes back to me with anything, I will update the thread 👍😃

Time is a healer,so is a damn good cruise.

• Like 1

As promised, I am updating!

We are both delighted to have been given some OBC along with an informative email about pricing structures and reassurances that we are valued as a customer, which was the main point for us (but the OBC is very nice too, thank you!)

Signed Mr & Mrs Very Satisfied from UK 😂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Mauzac said:

We are both delighted to have been given some OBC along with an informative email about pricing structures and reassurances that we are valued as a customer, which was the main point for us (but the OBC is very nice too, thank you!)

I knew that was coming.

Smile now 😁

2 hours ago, Mauzac said:

May I ask what brought about the change of heart as they had already refused the request through the travel agent please?  Did the TA ask again, more specifically for Obc, or did you appeal direct through the club/president etc 

Edited by galeforce9
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, galeforce9 said:

May I ask what brought about the change of heart as they had already refused the request through the travel agent please? 

Without wishing to big myself up 😂 I wrote a polite and heartfelt email to US SB expressing my disappointment, especially bearing in mind we have only ever sailed SB, so complete loyalty (and also 4 recommendations to friends, family and a neighbour who have taken numerous cruises because of us saying how wonderful SB is, plenty of repeat business there!  My best friend was Cunard all the way, now about to book her fourth SB cruise!)

Bottom line, I just wanted some sort of acknowledgement of our disappointment.  And the email was very nice from them.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Mauzac said:

Without wishing to big myself up 😂 I wrote a polite and heartfelt email to US SB expressing my disappointment, especially bearing in mind we have only ever sailed SB, so complete loyalty (and also 4 recommendations to friends, family and a neighbour who have taken numerous cruises because of us saying how wonderful SB is, plenty of repeat business there!  My best friend was Cunard all the way, now about to book her fourth SB cruise!)

Bottom line, I just wanted some sort of acknowledgement of our disappointment.  And the email was very nice from them.  

Glad you were listened to and your loyalty recognised.  You did well to get such a speedy response too!

• Like 1

Hi Mauzac 

I have experienced this in the past with Seabourn. Not so much Silversea or regent. We’ve had cruises booked at one fare and then later on the fare drops significantly. Fortunately, in our case, the fare drops have usually before final payment so you can cancel the cruise and rebook. We are in the process of booking on one of the expedition ships had incredible discounts. I spoke with my TA and Seaborn is being extremely aggressive with pricing right now on a lot of their upcoming cruises with 30-50% extra discounts but it goes nonrefundable immediately. He speculates that they are trying to fill the ships for financial reporting for carnival even at a loss to create revenue. I agree with you that because of your status they should at least do something nominal like some shipboard credit. I don’t think they should be required to give you the lower price simply because you got the advantage of choosing from a better cabin selection earlier on but a small amount of goodwill goes a long way. the last thing they want is you angry at them. I would think they might at least split the difference. I had amazing experience with silversea where because their air flight was canceled and our luggage was lost and didn’t make the ship they reimbursed $2300 for the clothes I had to buy for the cruise. I received that unexpectedly after sending a nice detailed note to their customer service. We have lots of loyalty to them because of that.  Good luck. 
kent

@Shipless in Seattle  Thanks for your post.  (love the name by the way!)

Yes, all good now, in that SB are providing us with a fairly hefty OBC and as you say, I wouldn't expect them (after final payment) to make up the difference, but I just did want some sort of recognition and they did that.  

We have quite a few SB excursions booked so I now have to get that taken from the OBC and my CC refunded (I've never done that before, but I understand it is possible)

What a great outcome from Silversea, these gestures matter when it comes to loyalty!  

5 hours ago, Mauzac said:

@Shipless in Seattle  Thanks for your post.  (love the name by the way!)

Yes, all good now, in that SB are providing us with a fairly hefty OBC and as you say, I wouldn't expect them (after final payment) to make up the difference, but I just did want some sort of recognition and they did that.  

We have quite a few SB excursions booked so I now have to get that taken from the OBC and my CC refunded (I've never done that before, but I understand it is possible)

What a great outcome from Silversea, these gestures matter when it comes to loyalty!  

I am also in the same situation but I feel a bit embarrassed about asking for a refund so that I can use my OBC but if people say it is possible I am gonna give it a try. IF not I guess I can always use it on the on board shop

15 minutes ago, Khareef said:

I am also in the same situation but I feel a bit embarrassed about asking for a refund so that I can use my OBC but if people say it is possible I am gonna give it a try. IF not I guess I can always use it on the on board shop

I do read that people do it all the time!  I definitely will go to Guest Services and ask them to!

3 hours ago, Khareef said:

There is nothing to be embarrassed about.  It is just the way their system works.  You cannot use on- board credit, unless you are on-board.  But is is very wise and encouraged that you select and book excursions early using your credit card, lest they fill.up.  They can re--book once you are on board with OBC.  They do this all the time and are very helpful when we've done it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DTtravelers said:

There is nothing to be embarrassed about.  It is just the way their system works.  You cannot use on- board credit, unless you are on-board.  But is is very wise and encouraged that you select and book excursions early using your credit card, lest they fill.up.  They can re--book once you are on board with OBC.  They do this all the time and are very helpful when we've done it.

Thanks, I'll surely do it myself then. I booked a helicopter flight which is pretty expensive but my OBC cover it so that would be a nice way to reduce my total costs...

A weird thing has happened to me recently. I already paid the total cost of my cruise but a few days ago I received an email saying I still have to pay 6k by June 17 2023 (I guess I need to take a Time Machine)....... The total price has also been changed in my account...

Not sure what to make of it, I guess  it is a system glitch of some sort. I tried to contact Seabourn but they are always so slow to reply.. Their customer service especially for European Guests is a bit of a disgrace

Edited by Khareef

4 hours ago, Khareef said:

Their customer service especially for European Guests is a bit of a disgrace

Seabourn UK told me that Seabourn Seattle will never answer emails or prepare quotes from UK residents. What puzzles me is why they can't / won't / don't forward them on to SB UK?

Having said that they did seem embarrassed on the phone 🙂

• Like 1

Has anyone done any comparison between $US, $CAN and UK pricing recently? As an example:

15-Day New Zealand & Australia Odyssey

Seabourn Odyssey
JAN 22 - FEB 6, 2024
DEPARTS : Auckland, New Zealand
ARRIVES : Sydney, Australia

Veranda suite from $11,999 USD or 14,998 Canadian.  An exchange rate of 1.25 is totally reasonable.  Anyone care to share the UK or AUS price?