Current Wine List on Board Now

PGI GUY

Can anyone who is on board now, post some pictures of the wine list showing the included wines with the Silver Spirts package.  I know that the price has increased and I believe any wine listed by the glass was included with the SS package.

Kent, you wrote on another thread that “there were simply much fewer choices of wines that you could purchase if you didn’t have the SSP.” Does the wine list that you posted in this thread include wines available to everybody or just to passengers with the SSP? 

34 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

Kent, you wrote on another thread that “there were simply much fewer choices of wines that you could purchase if you didn’t have the SSP.” Does the wine list that you posted in this thread include wines available to everybody or just to passengers with the SSP? 

Everything is available to everyone regardless of SS.  If you don't have SS you pay for it.

BUT, everything on the list is not available to SS - bottles are not included in SS, and anything over a certain price per ounce or drink.

But - everything is available to everyone - you just have to pay for it one way or another.

• Like 2

If you look at the wine lists that were posted above, if there is an * symbol next to the wine, it is NOT included in the SS package.  If it does not, it is included, either by the glass or bottle.

We have asked for a bottle of SS included wine before on Ocean, because we are easily going to drink that and more, and were told it was only available to us by the glass.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Baloo said:

Are the wine lists pretty similar ship to ship?

They look pretty similar across ships at least in same year. I posted the wine list on the Neptune for our May 2023 British Isles Explorer cruise - copied here:

Edited by Moonlion
  • Like 1

I think that you might find some "similarities" between ships, but if you have a ship that is currently only sailing in the APAC region, and another around South America, they are restocking locally and in many cases picking up more local wines.  Not every wine that Viking may want to stock would be available in every region and part of the world.  

When you watch the restocking of the ship in any port, there are pallets and pallets of wine and beers being brought on board and these choices are up to the Beverage Manager on the ship and they are coming from local suppliers.  I guarantee you Viking is not flying wine stocks around the world so that the wine menu is the same ship to ship.

Viking print all this material - menus etc., - on the ship, so a wine menu change is easy.

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, seaway.dells_0 said:

Is that a typo or does the margarita actually have lemon instead of lime?

We were on the Neptune in May and asked the bartenders to make "classic" margaritas for us, i.e., with tequila, triple sec or another orange liquor and fresh lime juice.  They did, and the margaritas were perfect!  Soon, all the bartenders learned of our preference and brought us classic margaritas.  We never received a margarita with lemon juice.  I think the bartenders will make pretty much any cocktail you ask for if you tell them what you want. The staff really aim to please!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

@Stickman1990 Looks like a nice list! But remember, the drinks are offered to all passengers, not just to those with the package. The SSP is a form of payment, not availability.

I don’t recall saying they were exclusive to the Silver package guests - just that they were available onboard as most, but not all, fall within the price limit of the package 

Edited by Stickman1990

On 6/23/2023 at 9:10 AM, CCWineLover said:

We just got off Saturn in Iceland.

IMG_3889.thumb.jpeg.36c8804a200b0775dba5e2c726aefdd9.jpeg

Perhaps the wine buyer was sampling the product a bit that day, but listing a Marlborough wine as from Australia? Yikes! That's going to get some words from any Kiwis on board!

Edited by JYDCruise

2 hours ago, JYDCruise said:

Perhaps the wine buyer was sampling the product a bit that day, but listing a Marlborough wine as from Australia? Yikes! That's going to get some words from any Kiwis on board!

I did notice that as well! 🙂

2 hours ago, JYDCruise said:

Perhaps the wine buyer was sampling the product a bit that day, but listing a Marlborough wine as from Australia?

They have it right on Neptunes list though - I suspect it’s the person preparing the list rather than the Buyer - maybe the head sommelier?

Wine lists should really state the vintage of the wine as well.  There can be a big difference between years, and if you are going to buy a pricey bottle of wine, you'd probably want to be sure you're getting a decent year.

"How do I know if it is a good year?" you might ask.  There are apps on your phone that can tell you based on year and geographic area, if you are interested.

1 hour ago, Rothko1 said:

Wine lists should really state the vintage of the wine as well.  There can be a big difference between years, and if you are going to buy a pricey bottle of wine, you'd probably want to be sure you're getting a decent year.

"How do I know if it is a good year?" you might ask.  There are apps on your phone that can tell you based on year and geographic area, if you are interested.

One can ask to see the exact bottle prior to its opening to read label, alcohol content, vintage, description.  Have done this, no problem with staff.

• Like 1

On our Bordeaux cruise last year we were told that unlike in the US, appellation French wines are required to taste the same from year to year.  Instead of varying the taste, they vary the blend.  French table wines are not held to this standard.  

I think we need to do an extensive taste test to see...

15 minutes ago, dd57 said:

On our Bordeaux cruise last year we were told that unlike in the US, appellation French wines are required to taste the same from year to year.  Instead of varying the taste, they vary the blend.  French table wines are not held to this standard.  

I think we need to do an extensive taste test to see...

This was definitely not the case when we visited a number of wineries in Bordeaux in 2019. Vintages vary considerably. 2012 Chateaux Angélus is probably my favorite wine ever. other vintages, older and younger were good but never as good as the 2012.  

Further, Mother Nature doesn’t pay much attention to the requirements of the Bordeaux Appellation Controlee and weather conditions play a great role in these things. 🤣

I think someone was hoping to move some less favorably viewed vintages. 

Edited by wine-wine-wine
Weather note

1 minute ago, wine-wine-wine said:

This was definitely not the case when we visited a number of wineries in Bordeaux in 2019. Vintages vary considerably. 2012 Chateaux Angélus is probably my favorite wine ever. other vintages, older and younger were good but never as good as the 2012.  

I think someone was hoping to move some less favorably viewed vintages. 

Could be.  This was said at one winery on an excursion, but I don't remember which.