Katakolon options other than Olympic

Vineyard View

We will be visiting Katakolon for the second time, and while it’s been a number of years, we visited the beautiful ancient site of the Olympics when we were there. I am looking for ideas on a different way to spend that day. If anyone has some experiences they thought were a good way to spend a day I would appreciate knowing any suggestions. Thank you 

We went to Olympia but the only other option we were considering was the tourist fun train which has stops at Mercury Winery and Agios Andreas beach.

There's a hop on hop off that apparently has 5 stops and loops to Pyrgos for 10e.

Did you see the wonderful onsite museum on your first visit to Olympia? It really has some treasures and I've found tours tend to give it the barest skim...  For example, there is a slightly less than life-sized statue there that is attributed to the famous Greek artist Praxiteles -- if it is truly one of his works, it is the only surviving one. The statue shows Hermes and the infant Dionysus. It is a wonderful piece. 

The other item that really struck me was a Greek military helmet -- but this one just happened to belong to Miltiades, the victorious Greek commander at the battle of Marathon. It is inscribed with his name and dedicated to Zeus in thanks for the victory. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Milhouse said:

There's a hop on hop off that apparently has 5 stops and loops to Pyrgos for 10e.

Do you have a website or any info for the HOHO bus? Next time I'm at Katakolon I'd love to visit the archaeological museum in Pirgos.

We’ve visited Katakalon a number of times and usually head to the beach.  We did rent a car one time and drove a little further afield but not sure it was worth it.   We too would be interested in Pirgos. Probably also time to visit Olympia again.   We’ve used taxis and the fun train. 

@Ine thanks for the link, looks like public buses go to Pirgos, 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you. Sounds like from my research as well, that it is Olympia….or Olympia for the most part. I appreciate your feedback and time. April will likely be a bit chilly for swimming. 

The last time (our 3rd visit) we were there we took the 3D tour of the site.  It was really interesting seeing the "reconstruction" of the site.  And the museum is wonderful as cruisemom said.   

Here is a video of the Pirgos museum.  Needless to say, it is nothing like the National Archaeological Museum in Athens, but it will certainly be of interest to cruisemom. 😁

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UO29jvoQuA&t=630s&ab_channel=ΕλληνικόςΉλιος

The choice is Olympia or Olympia. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Do you have a website or any info for the HOHO bus? Next time I'm at Katakolon I'd love to visit the archaeological museum in Pirgos.

I took a picture of the placard beside the HoHo bus but my phone *has stopped* letting me attach pictures to my posts for some reason (not enough memory error).  We fly home late tomorrow so I'll try to dump the pics to my laptop (didn't bring it with me for the cruise) and load it from there.  It shows frequency (every 25mins 8:30-4:30 on cruise days), the route, what the stops are, and a telephone number but no URL.  

Edited by Milhouse
Clarify: Has stopped letting me
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Milhouse said:

I took a picture of the placard beside the HoHo bus but my phone is not letting me attach pictures to my posts for some reason (not enough memory error).  We fly home late tomorrow so I'll try to dump the pics to my laptop (didn't bring it with me for the cruise) and load it from there.  It shows frequency (every 25mins 8:30-4:30 on cruise days), the route, what the stops are, and a telephone number but no URL.  

Thank you -- no worries, go enjoy the rest of your trip!

8 hours ago, Milhouse said:

Here's the placard in front of the HoHo bus.  They were located in the parking lot in the port area a short walk from the ship.

PXL_20230614_123009944.MP.jpg

Thanks -- it looks like it is run by this company:

http://olympiasightseeing.com/

There are a few reviews on TripAdvisor, most are not that great. But since I've been twice to Olympia, I may give it a try next time. I never met a Greek (or Roman) archaeological museum I didn't like...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

W

On 6/24/2023 at 1:16 PM, marazul said:

The last time (our 3rd visit) we were there we took the 3D tour of the site.  It was really interesting seeing the "reconstruction" of the site.  And the museum is wonderful as cruisemom said.   

What cruise line were you sailing with when you took this tour?  I just booked a last minute NCL for less than a month out.  Obviously there aren't a lot of excursion options left!  We usually go off on our own, but I'm wondering if it would be worth it to do this one in Olympia for the convenience of getting around to the site and such.  thanks!

4 minutes ago, Hydro ergo said:

W

What cruise line were you sailing with when you took this tour?  I just booked a last minute NCL for less than a month out.  Obviously there aren't a lot of excursion options left!  We usually go off on our own, but I'm wondering if it would be worth it to do this one in Olympia for the convenience of getting around to the site and such.  thanks!

Seabourn.

Google 3D excursions Greece. There is a company that provides the equipment and IIRC they list tour companies that use it.

Also google Olympia excursions, some providers might list them.

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1