Infinite Stateroom on deck 11 or 12...Beyond or any Edge class

mickeysgal

I'll admit it, I haven't paid much attention to endless debates on infinite verandas as we usually book sunset verandas. But here I am with a concierge booking on deck 11 of Beyond. Deck 12 is under the pool deck and cafe. I've searched and can't seem to find the answer.  We can still move our cabin to something on 12,  but how shadowy and dark does the cabin get with the overhang?  Conversely, how sunny - and hot - does the IV get when there is no overhang?  I don't like to sit in the direct sun -   I prefer shade. And I don't want the blinds closed making it dark like an inside cabin.   From what I understand with the IV, it's all or none with the blinds.  If the IV gets too sunny on deck 11, then I may risk the possibility of noise above and move my cabin to deck 12. Its a port intensive cruise, so I'll be up and out most of the time anyway.  I just don't want a super sunny and Hot cabin.  

• 2 months later...

Hello! Not sure when your cruise was/is scheduled, but did you end up staying with your deck 11 cabin on Beyond? How’d it work out? We’re booked on deck 11 for May 2024 and not only do we have an overhang and a support beam, but a little wall next to us. And yet they don’t call this an obstructed view, go figure. While I don’t want to be overheated in the IV cabin, I also don’t want to be in a cave, and I’m concerned the overhang will make it that way. Same time, deck 12 provides the buffet above. Any observations would be appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2023 at 10:26 AM, mickeysgal said:

I'll admit it, I haven't paid much attention to endless debates on infinite verandas as we usually book sunset verandas. But here I am with a concierge booking on deck 11 of Beyond. Deck 12 is under the pool deck and cafe. I've searched and can't seem to find the answer.  We can still move our cabin to something on 12,  but how shadowy and dark does the cabin get with the overhang?  Conversely, how sunny - and hot - does the IV get when there is no overhang?  I don't like to sit in the direct sun -   I prefer shade. And I don't want the blinds closed making it dark like an inside cabin.   From what I understand with the IV, it's all or none with the blinds.  If the IV gets too sunny on deck 11, then I may risk the possibility of noise above and move my cabin to deck 12. Its a port intensive cruise, so I'll be up and out most of the time anyway.  I just don't want a super sunny and Hot cabin.  

We had a IV cabin on Apex on Deck 11 Forward. Our travel agent actually made our first booking on 12 and we had her move us to 11 due to the pool noise.
Didn’t know about the overhang until we walked into the cabin. We loved it! The overhang kept the area shaded and I think it made the room cooler overall. I would book it again. I don’t think it made the room dark. If you prefer shade instead of sun bathing I think you will like it. I would rather have the shade than the noise from the pool deck. we only closed the blinds at night or if we were docked next to another ship. 

• 4 months later...

We just booked Beyond cabin 12261 for a March, 2025 sail, the cabin is aft of the pool near the buffet entrance so we figured the noise would be minimal there. We chose deck 12 rather than 11 because of the expected overhang on deck 11. We just realized there is an overhang from deck 14 (with the support beams) that we were not aware of. We came across a photo after what I thought was adequate research…

Anyone stayed on deck 12 and have an opinion about the overhang from deck 14? Wondering if that overhang is more than on deck 11…

48 minutes ago, blue_water said:

We just booked Beyond cabin 12261 for a March, 2025 sail, the cabin is aft of the pool near the buffet entrance so we figured the noise would be minimal there. We chose deck 12 rather than 11 because of the expected overhang on deck 11. We just realized there is an overhang from deck 14 (with the support beams) that we were not aware of. We came across a photo after what I thought was adequate research…

Anyone stayed on deck 12 and have an opinion about the overhang from deck 14? Wondering if that overhang is more than on deck 11…

We were in an IV cabin #12291 on the Ascent and yes there was the overhang. It wasn't an issue. It's not dark and gloomy if that's your concern. Since an IV cabin isn't a real Veranda cabin with a true outdoor space, the overhand was irrelevant to whether it's a good cabin. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

We were in an IV cabin #12291 on the Ascent and yes there was the overhang. It wasn't an issue. It's not dark and gloomy if that's your concern. Since an IV cabin isn't a real Veranda cabin with a true outdoor space, the overhand was irrelevant to whether it's a good cabin. 

Thanks for your feedback, that helps!

4 minutes ago, blue_water said:

Thanks for your feedback, that helps!

Welcome. I would say it's more of a concern on the M and S class ships. We've been on those class of ships in a Verandah with an overhang and although It wasn't dark and gloomy you never received direct sunlight onto the balcony unless it's sunrise or sunset so it wouldn't be ideal for sunbathing out on your private balcony. 

On 6/24/2023 at 10:26 AM, mickeysgal said:

We sailed on the Apex last year and were in a concierge cabin on deck 11 a little forward of mid-ship. Our veranda did have an overhang from deck 12 and we loved it. Our TA had booked us on 12 and I asked her to move us to 11. I did not want all the noise from the pool deck.

We did not know about the overhang before we boarded. The veranda was shaded but I did not think it was a problem as we did not want direct sun. We like to read while sitting on the balcony. You will get some sun in the late afternoon depending on which side of the ship faces West. We did not close the blinds until it was bedtime and dark already. We loved it and would book one again.