Average age - Mediterranean Sea

crcr27

After many cruises with MSC, Costa, Aida and TUI I now consider booking a cruise on an American cruise line in the Mediterranean sea just to get a different experience. I would have preferred Royal Caribbean or Virgin but I'm on a budget and there are some great offers from NCL this summer. What average age could I expect on board? Also, would it be a lot different on other American cruise lines? 

Last time I was in the Med, my average age was 27. Actually that was my exact age.

I don't think anyone keeps hard statistics on this, but most cruisers report averages of around 35-55. And apparently that changes with itinerary, time of year, and length of cruise, but that's true just about anywhere.

2 hours ago, crcr27 said:

After many cruises with MSC, Costa, Aida and TUI I now consider booking a cruise on an American cruise line in the Mediterranean sea just to get a different experience. I would have preferred Royal Caribbean or Virgin but I'm on a budget and there are some great offers from NCL this summer. What average age could I expect on board? Also, would it be a lot different on other American cruise lines? 

• Haha 1

Once the schools are out the average(and median) tends to drop, as the families start to cruise and the hate kids couples/singles avoid kids sailings.

US are earlier than Europe so the kids cruises have started,  UK go back beginning Sept.

Not sure I would class Virgin in the American category as its very different from anything.

Seeing some good rates on HAL,  Celebrity is pricy, 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, crcr27 said:

I found a good mix of people in 20s right up to 70s.  In the bars in the evening most were in 30's to 50's.

ps - I've been on a few Royal Caribbean cruises and wouldn't see them as being more high-end than NCL - I'd see them as equivalent (though I personally prefer the quality of the food and music offering on NCL).

Edited by podgeandrodge
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Oviedo32765 said:

NCL used to post the demographics of the passengers in the galley since that really drives the kinda of food that people will be ordering. The average age of passengers on Med cruises during the summer was in the low 50’s. Essentially saying that there were an equal number of older people to younger people and kids. They haven’t posted that data (at least where I  can find in the galley) for a few years.

The age is very dependant on the time pf year. Mid to end June till beginning of September there are lots of children so the average age drops dramatically.

I would also like to add that the Summer experience can be daunting as it is the height of tourist season everywhere. Everything and everywhere is crowded and not just on the ship.

In my opinion, NCL is an average line. They do cater to kids with go carts, laser tag rooms, splash areas, kids clubs etc. That makes the pool area very small and very crowded.

This drives many to Haven, a cruise line within a cruise line but, it is certainly not budget friendly.

We did one summer cruise on the Bliss with our kids and grandkids and it was packed. Sea days were horribly crowded. Breakfasts in the buffet everyday were a challenge, to say the least. Won't do that again 🙂

16 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

NCL used to post the demographics of the passengers in the galley since that really drives the kinda of food that people will be ordering. The average age of passengers on Med cruises during the summer was in the low 50’s. Essentially saying that there were an equal number of older people to younger people and kids. They haven’t posted that data (at least where I  can find in the galley) for a few years.

I wonder if the median and average are that close.

Not sailed Costa, AIDA or TUI.  I have sailed NCL and Royal (both quite a bit), MSC, Carnival, Celebrity and HAL.

Carnival…trying to wrap my head around how a Carnival Cruise would fit in the Mediterranean.  Although, their new Italian themed ships seem to be taking a more European flare.  So, maybe that will be better for them in Europe.  Carnival’s reputation is well earned.  If you like that sort of thing, they have their proponents.  I’ve tried them more than once.  When I found people passed out in the hallways (literally) and around the outside walkways, I wrote them off.  But, if I find a cheap Carnival Cruise, I’ll look at it again.

Celebrity would be a great Mediterranean Cruise, except they are the priciest of the bunch.  Love their ships, but don’t know why they charge a premium.  Their ships and atmosphere would be a good mix for the Mediterranean, and they don’t cater to kids, at all.  So, probably more adults on board.

HAL was just not my cup of tea….at all!  Oldest clientele of them all….and it’s obvious.  Probably the most “formal” of them all, too.  But, they may work out OK for a Mediterranean Cruise.  I would think they would have the highest average age as any of them.

Virgin….I’m not sure.  I think coming out of the chute, their concept was good, just not very good in practice.  I do think they are refining it.  But, will probably let them find their “niche” before looking at them to book.

NCL and Royal are the most similar.  I prefer NCL because their entertainment is better, I like their food and service better, and it’s less “uptight” than Royal’s cruises.  But, if I can find a good deal on Royal, I’ll grab it.  And, you’re right, some nice fares on NCL’s Mediterranean sailings right now (I snagged the Epic October Med sailing, myself).  Median Age, as others have pointed out, is dependent on the dates you choose to cruise.  If school is in session, the median age will be significantly higher.

Edited by graphicguy

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

I could have lied about my age. 😆

34 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Not sailed Costa, AIDA or TUI.  I have sailed NCL and Royal (both quite a bit), MSC, Carnival, Celebrity and HAL.

Carnival…trying to wrap my head around how a Carnival Cruise would fit in the Mediterranean.  Although, their new Italian themed ships seem to be taking a more European flare.  So, maybe that will be better for them in Europe.  Carnival’s reputation is well earned.  If you like that sort of thing, they have their proponents.  I’ve tried them more than once.  When I found people passed out in the hallways (literally) and around the outside walkways, I wrote them off.  But, if I find a cheap Carnival Cruise, I’ll look at it again.

Celebrity would be a great Mediterranean Cruise, except they are the priciest of the bunch.  Love their ships, but don’t know why they charge a premium.  Their ships and atmosphere would be a good mix for the Mediterranean, and they don’t cater to kids, at all.  So, probably more adults on board.

HAL was just not my cup of tea….at all!  Oldest clientele of them all….and it’s obvious.  Probably the most “formal” of them all, too.  But, they may work out OK for a Mediterranean Cruise.  I would think they would have the highest average age as any of them.

Virgin….I’m not sure.  I think coming out of the chute, their concept was good, just not very good in practice.  I do think they are refining it.  But, will probably let them find their “niche” before looking at them to book.

NCL and Royal are the most similar.  I prefer NCL because their entertainment is better, I like their food and service better, and it’s less “uptight” than Royal’s cruises.  But, if I can find a good deal on Royal, I’ll grab it.  And, you’re right, some nice fares on NCL’s Mediterranean sailings right now (I snagged the Epic October Med sailing, myself).  Median Age, as others have pointed out, is dependent on the dates you choose to cruise.  If school is in session, the median age will be significantly higher.

I'm looking at Med cruises for next fall and as we have only cruised RCCL up to this point, I would be interested to know why you say they are more uptight than NCL?

35 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Did Carnival to Hawaii (2 wks) in January & LOVED it (even tho we were told we would hate it after sailing most other mainstream lines). Bartenders said the key to Carnival is longer cruises to avoid the booze cruisers. Trying them again in S.Pacific/NZ in Feb, so we shall see.

And your HAL opinion is why we have not tried them--I hear that over & over.

Guess I shoulda listened regarding MSC when I heard reports of rude passengers over & over...I try to look for patterns in those reviews...but, hey, got to see Ireland, UK & Norway for damn cheap.

2 minutes ago, depplep said:

I'm looking at Med cruises for next fall and as we have only cruised RCCL up to this point, I would be interested to know why you say they are more uptight than NCL?

I don't feel that way at all. 

I really think that perception comes from the set dinner times that RCCL have traditionally have (tho they now also have Any Time Dining as a choice).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, depplep said:

Probably the wrong terminology on my part.  

I'm Diamond with Royal, so have sailed them more than a little.  Liberty is the smallest ship I've sailed with them...sailed Allure (which at the time was the largest).  I'm not a "plan every minute of every day" type of cruiser.  I like eating when I'm hungry.  Every time my (then) GF and I tried to go to one of the MDRs, there was at least a 30 minute wait without a reservation.  Last Royal Cruise I was on the Ovation last year.  The Windjammer was "sold out". You read that right.  Their buffet had no seating left for those of us trying to get after we were told the MDR had a 30 minute wait.

Ended up going to the hot dog booth more than once because of that.

I don't whine (except when I'm trying to get a drink at the pool bar at sailaway...j/k).  I asked the person at the Windjammer when they expected a table to open up.  They acted like I was asking for an Act of Congress to be passed.

We would settle in to the 270 venue.  We could grab a sandwich at the Solarium Bistro and find a table at 270.  Given it was just two of us, we would grab a bite, go sit at the bar or at a 2 top in the first couple of rows, grab a drink and have breakfast or lunch.  Not always, but more than once, other passengers would either stand right in front of us to see the shows they had there.  We would ask them to move, nicely.  Some would.  Some wouldn't.  Some acted like we were in THEIR way.

I could go on, but you get the picture.

NCL...I can always tell what is or isn't open as far as dining. The video boards all around the ship tell you what is and isn't busy.  this is true of the Specialty Dining venues, too.  And, it's a better than 50-50 chance you can just show up and be seated if your party isn't big.  They have more than one MDR, too.  If you just want casual but don't want to go to the Garden Cafe (NCL's Buffet) there are always openings at O'Sheehans/the Local.  

Entertainment venues.....Main theaters aren't a problem.  But in fairness, Syd Norman's and/or The Cavern Club get packed, quickly.  And, there are lines to get in.  It's a testament to the excellence of the  entertainment in both of those venues.  They're kind of stuck, though.  The entertainment is more intimate.  Putting either of the shows in a larger venue takes away that intimacy, and it probably doesn't play as well.  The game shows and trivia in the Atrium can get crowded.  But, if you don't insist on sitting in the first few rows of chairs, you can grab a seat at the Atrium Bar or the chairs around the deck above the Atrium and see/hear just as well.  I get it.  Some people insist on being right on top of the action.  Me?  Not so much.

I've made many more cruise friends on NCL than Royal.  Some of that is a function of sailing NCL more than Royal, but I've sailed both quite a bit.

Well, that was a long winded answer to a short question.  LOL!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

This is actually very helpful. I hate how Royal does their My Time Dining. We are also Diamond and have been on the small and the large ships. I am a planner so any dining I can reserve ahead of time I will. We don't go to the shows, so not a concern/issue for us. I also refuse to eat at Windjammer for the reason you stated, as well as the food is always cold.  I'm nervous about our first NCL this fall and hope we like their ship/food/service. Thank you for the observations.

As mentioned previously, average age would depend on the time of year, with summer lowering the age due to the kid factor. On our TA (which started in the Mediterranean) the average age was probably close to 70, given the majority of cruisers were retired (which is our desired demographic, since we're retired and fit right in). We saw only one kid on our TA. Which is amazing, since, at my age, I consider almost everyone to be a kid. Now GET OFF MY LAWN! (oops, did I say that out loud?)

Honestly, the Med is one place where I place less importance on the cruise line since the experience is more off the ship.  I place more emphasis on the itinerary - not only the ports but also the amount of time in each.  The ship is a place to sleep and to grab a quick bite before venturing out.

I'm not a HAL fan but in a place line the Med, I would absolutely do it if the itinerary and price was right!

On the Jade in the Med now and the average age is all over.  My 2 kids under 15 are on, along with a couple and their kids under 12.  I've seen a small number of other children, maybe a couple dozen, but nothing like the Caribbean.  As another poster said, he's seen 20s-70s and that's very accurate here.  Lots of younger adults if that's what you're looking for.

i'm no mathematician, but i'm pretty sure the average is not all over.

i suspect it's somewhere close to the middle, although it could be less or more, depending on the lowest and highest ages. but without a simultaneous discussion of the median and the mode, it's a pretty safe bet that the average age is somewhere in the middle.

• Haha 6

On 6/26/2023 at 10:01 AM, depplep said:

I took a few RCC trips with family when I was <20 yrs old so don't remember much about them, but my one recent trip as an adult wasn't anything to write home about. It was shortly after the Covid reopening, so I try to not fault them too much, but it was the only cruise we've taken where we were bored and did not make any new friends at all.

They have a dress up night which is enforced. NCL does not. NCL has some restaurants with a dress code (still very lax, men must wear pants - that's the only rule, and jeans are fine so even my very casual hubby is fine with it), but no official 'dress to impress' or whatever they call it nights where you have to be dressed up or resign yourself to eating in the buffet or in your room. 

On all of our NCL trips we've always been able to strike up a conversation with new folks at the bars, in restaurants, on excursions, in the elevator.... anywhere. But with the RCC trip, there was one lovely couple from Jersey (the UK one) who chatted with us, and that was it. At the chefs table there was actually a couple who lived literally 20 mins away from us at home that we talked with a bit, but other than sharing a cab ride to the hotel in Cyprus and from there to the airport, that was it - they would wave and smile and keep on keeping on. Again, maybe stranger-danger from Covid and cooties and whatnot, but it felt like we were in t-shirts and shorts sneaking onto a Cunard ship during elegant chic night asking where the chickie nuggies were. 

We would certainly try RCC again (no interest in their mega ships, and they seem to keep getting bigger which is another turnoff for us), but price wise they have never come in close for similar itineraries and length trips. Even with NCL price gouging, RCC is still significantly higher price/day for the trips we're interested in.