Tour Companies for Cartagena, Spain and Lanzarote & Gran Canaria, Canary Islands

We will be on the Explorer of the Seas the end of October - first of November 2023 and are looking for any highly recommended tour companies as most of the ship tours are sold out.  I would greatly appreciate any recommendations for Cartagena, Spain and also for Lanzarote & Gran Canaria, Canary Island

Thank you in advance!

23 hours ago, bling19572010 said:

first of November 2023 and are looking for any highly recommended tour companies as most of the ship tours are sold out.

Is it absolutely ESSENTIAL that you have a tour company for all three of the above?

Cartagena Spain is especially easy to DIY as ships dock in the city centre so you only need cross the street and you are there.  Before deciding, do have a look at the very excellent Toms Port Guide Cartagena (google it) which has been highly recommended here on CC for a number of years by those who used it.

There is an easy to follow walking map with images and descriptions.  I think if you look at this you will appreciate that no tour company is needed and you could follow the suggestions on Tom's Guide at your own pace, stopping wherever and for however long you choose.  I would however check opening hours are still current, in particular as your arrival on Nov 1st is actually winter and different opening hours may apply.

On 6/27/2023 at 2:39 PM, bling19572010 said:

first of November

If you are anywhere in Spain on 1st November then beware!  It is Todos Santos (All Saints day) and a national holiday.   Most things are closed (except restaurants, bars etc) and it is a real family day (visiting cemeteries and honouring their deceased family members).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

If you are anywhere in Spain on 1st November then beware!  It is Todos Santos (All Saints day) and a national holiday.   Most things are closed (except restaurants, bars etc) and it is a real family day (visiting cemeteries and honouring their deceased family members).

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations for Cartagena, Spain and also for Lanzarote & Gran Canaria, Canary Island

OP, My bad and apologies for that.  As Nov 1st is NOT a UK holiday, it had totally slipped my mind that it absolutely is a holiday in many mainland European countries.

You could still explore Cartagena by yourselves.  Do check Toms Port Guide Cartagena and use that as your guide.  Cartagena is relatively compact to explore on foot and is mostly flat so not at all difficult to do.  As you can begin exploring once you cross the street in front of the dock, it would be nice to go off the ship  for a stroll even if most attractions will be closed, and VMax has said that cafes, bars, restaurants will be open.

Edited by edinburgher

Gran Canaria, Canary Island

Las Palmas is one of my favourite ports to visit on a ship.  you walk off the ship and you are in the city.  the old city is full of history, and the museum focusses on Columbus and his departure to cross the Atlantic.  there is loads of pre-Columbian art to see as well.  (to reach old quarter you will need bus or taxi).  also walkable from the ship is the beaches area of the city with a nice beach, and lots of jolly cafes etc.  One time we hired pedal cycles from a place about 5 mins from the ship. the city has dedicated cycle lanes all over the place. the hoho bus picks up from the port gates if you like that option. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This thread is very helpful! I'll be at Cartagena on November 2, but won't be able to leave the ship until 4:00 (online course). Since the ship is there until 8:00, I'll plan just to walk off and explore.

The Tom's Guides seem to have been discontinued.

Edited by kochleffel

20 hours ago, kochleffel said:

The Tom's Guides seem to have been discontinued.

What a pity as some of them were excellent and the one for Cartagena was well recommended by cruise pax. The only differences were that Tom didn't update them unless he visited again, so opening hours and entry costs would need to be checked for up-to-date info.  For Cartagena, there is no need for a guided tour as there is much info to be found online including maps.

Only need cross the street from the cruise dock and you are there. IIt is also quite compact but there are a number of worthwhile attractions to visit. Try Tripadvisor and others including the Official Cartagena Tourist Information website. You could also google something along the lines of "self guided walking tour of Cartagena Spain", which would work for your other ports too if you simply change the name.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1