Using AirTags in luggage?

CookieShip

Not sure where this should go, but figured I would try here as I'll be on a Carnival cruise.

It is my understanding that AirTags will begin beeping after being away from the owner for X amount of time. I think X is some random time between 8-24 hours. When going/arriving/embarking for the cruise I don't think this will be a problem. When disembarking/going home this might be a problem? Normally I carry off my luggage myself, but since I have a late flight out of Seattle, I think I might want to use Port Valet so I can do things without the bags for a few hours. So I'll need to set my bags out the night before and it will likely be at least 24 hours before I see the bags again at my home airport. At some point, the AirTags will begin to beep? I'm not sure if that will cause any problems or if I should try to disable the speaker part before my trip?

Any thoughts?

They do not beep unless you tell the app to make them beep.  I used them on my recent cruise out of the country.  Worked great!  I was sent a reminder every time I was away from my bags.  So again, if you need to track your bags, and the app says you are near, that's when you would go to your app and turn the beeping on.

• Like 2

I had not heard of this anti-stalk mechanism, so looked it up.  It is a thing, but very confusing, and very unreliable according to what i have read.  I do not completely understand it, so don't count on anything that I say.  LOL   However, I still think you have to toggle a setting on your AirTag app to make features work, including looking for lost luggage.   Mine was never lost, so I did not have to use that feature.  Also, I think that if the beeping were to go off continuously while I was away for a certain amount of time, that the battery would have run out.  I left my luggage in airport storage for 3 days before and after my cruise.  On my app, there is a Lost Mode indicator that I have to Enable to work.  It is, and always has been in Disabled mode.

I would also like to hear what 6rugrats has to say. 😉

On 6/27/2023 at 9:34 AM, CookieShip said:

I thought they beeped as some kind of anti-stalk mechanism, but if they don't beep unless I signal them to, then that alleviates my concerns .

iPhone users will get a notification if an airtag that is not registered with the phone user is moving with and/or following them.(I assume it would work the same on iPad; however, I don't know how it would work for an android phone user.  The iPhone user would then be able to "track" the unknown device to find it.