Clearing Canadian customs at first port of call

Maplemoose

On a Canada- New -England cruise from NY, our first Canadian port is Halifax, a noon-time arrival. I am wondering what to expect process-wise and time-wise from Canadian Customs. Does this differ depending on your citizenship? We are Canadian so I presume it will be similar to arriving back in Canada after a cross-border trip and that filling out ArriveCan app may exoedite process. Anyone out there, especially Canadians, have experience with this scenario?

By May ArriveCAN had already been phased out; some of the announcements at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal still referred to it but all anyone had to do before embarkation was to fill out the Canadian customs declaration card.

Our first port was also Halifax; there was no mandatory check conducted for anyone getting off for the day. 

2 hours ago, Maplemoose said:

On a Canada- New -England cruise from NY, our first Canadian port is Halifax, a noon-time arrival. I am wondering what to expect process-wise and time-wise from Canadian Customs. Does this differ depending on your citizenship? We are Canadian so I presume it will be similar to arriving back in Canada after a cross-border trip and that filling out ArriveCan app may exoedite process. Anyone out there, especially Canadians, have experience with this scenario?

Nothing at the port. You’ll need to fill out your customs form onboard.

If you have a felony criminal record, like a DUI, you may not be allowed into Canada. 

OP here. Keep in mind that we will not be returning to the US on the ship, so somewhere along the way Canadians will have to do the declaration dance for the authorities. Also, as regards ArriveCan. it is no longer mandatory but can be used instead of the declaration form and depending on the process, it can get you to a shorter line. 

• Like 1