Can we take prepackaged trail mix packets off the ship into Aus/NZ?

pompeii

I *think* the answer is yes after doing a google search, but I wanted to check with you all, the experts.  We like to throw a few trail mix packets into our backpack for port days and I know that Australia and NZ are strict about food items coming in.  The trail mix includes nuts, M&Ms, and raisins.  Will it be a problem?  I know I can just wait and see but I don't want to pack the packets if I won't be able to use them.  Thanks.  

1 hour ago, pompeii said:

I *think* the answer is yes after doing a google search, but I wanted to check with you all, the experts.  We like to throw a few trail mix packets into our backpack for port days and I know that Australia and NZ are strict about food items coming in.  The trail mix includes nuts, M&Ms, and raisins.  Will it be a problem?  I know I can just wait and see but I don't want to pack the packets if I won't be able to use them.  Thanks.  

Getting them into the country is the biggest hurdle. If the trail mix does not include seeds, it should be ok but they will need to be declared on your incoming form. Why not just buy them when you get here?

1 minute ago, yarramar said:

Getting them into the country is the biggest hurdle. If the trail mix does not include seeds, it should be ok but they will need to be declared on your incoming form. Why not just buy them when you get here?

Our cruise leaves from Seattle so getting them in won't be a problem.  I don't want to spend port time shopping for snacks so we always just throw a dozen or so packets into the luggage and we're good to go.  

On 6/28/2023 at 5:43 AM, pompeii said:

I *think* the answer is yes after doing a google search

The answer for Australia is "maybe".

"Commercially prepared and packaged nuts are allowed into Australia if they are one of the following:

blanched/roasted/fried/boiled nuts

shelled and tightly vacuum sealed nuts

nuts packaged in small confectionery tins sealed under vacuum.

Nuts must be declared and may be inspected on arrival. Products that do not meet import conditions will be exported or destroyed at the importer’s expense."

23 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

The answer for Australia is "maybe".

"Commercially prepared and packaged nuts are allowed into Australia if they are one of the following:

blanched/roasted/fried/boiled nuts

shelled and tightly vacuum sealed nuts

nuts packaged in small confectionery tins sealed under vacuum.

Nuts must be declared and may be inspected on arrival. Products that do not meet import conditions will be exported or destroyed at the importer’s expense."

Since we're sailing over from the US, the snacks will already be in Australia.  Is it likely that the port personnel will check backpacks when leaving the ship on port days?

Before you arrive at your first port in Australia you will be given a customs declaration form to fill out. If you fill it out truthfully regarding your trail mix (or anything else) they may ask to inspect it or if you omit it or lie and subsequently found to be carrying them, you may be heavily fined and/or refused entry to Australia (worst case scenario).

To enjoy a happy stress free holiday, just answer any questions truthfully. You also will need an ETA/visa for both here and NZ

7 hours ago, pompeii said:

Since we're sailing over from the US, the snacks will already be in Australia.  Is it likely that the port personnel will check backpacks when leaving the ship on port days?

The same customs and quarantine regulations apply irrespective of the mode of arrival.

You are going from one country to another. When you arrive in Australia it isn't just another port day. You will be going through customs. If you try to sneak items past them and are caught, there will be fines.

• Like 1

I think it is the raisins that will be the problem maybe. I believe nothing fruit based, even dried fruit, can be brought in.  In NZ they use specially trained dogs at the airports to check arriving passengers' bags for food.  when we arrived long haul from the UK, the dog easily identified that my husband's backpack had earlier contained fruit which he had consumed about 12 hours earlier on the plane. I dont know about customs at ports in NZ, (we embarked in Auckland for cruise return to the UK) but it might be the same. 

On 7/2/2023 at 3:33 AM, pompeii said:

They  will be in force when entering both Australian and NZ ports you will be notified by the ship not to take any food items of the ship. Trail Mix can be obtained from every supermarket,health food store or just about any where that sells food,so why risk a fine. By the way NZ is a lot stricter than OZ. 

8 hours ago, beatleman said:

They  will be in force when entering both Australian and NZ ports you will be notified by the ship not to take any food items of the ship. Trail Mix can be obtained from every supermarket,health food store or just about any where that sells food,so why risk a fine. By the way NZ is a lot stricter than OZ. 

Ok, thank you for the information.  That's very helpful to know. 

On 7/5/2023 at 9:07 PM, beatleman said:

By the way NZ is a lot stricter than OZ. 

Can confirm. My luggage was completely unpacked and dogs were on the baggage conveyor carousel at Christchurch airport. As someone who regularly flew in/out of JFK all my life, I'd never seen anything this intense, but maybe that's just because of the volume of people and and that was home, so I knew what to expect.

I don't know why I seemed like a likely target to have fruits, plants, or whatever–I was traveling alone, maybe that sent up a flag (but meeting people in Chch), but it was a surprise. And not fun repacking because friends were waiting on me.

Of course it made sense when the reasons were explained to me...I just hadn't recalled seeing such strict verbiage in any of my research, but it's part of what was interesting to travel, learning/understanding. Also, I wasn't busted for anything 😉

If you're ever not sure, just easier to ditch stuff on the plane, especially if it's open, or as everyone has said, declare it. Enjoy your visit 🙂

Colleen

19 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:
On 7/6/2023 at 2:07 AM, beatleman said:

By the way NZ is a lot stricter than OZ. 

Can confirm. My luggage was completely unpacked and dogs were on the baggage conveyor carousel at Christchurch airport.

and while we are on the topic, NZ also worries about hiking boots (they must be visibly clean when you arrive if packed in luggage). and they took away my hiking pole to disinfect it. (then I managed to leave it behind in the camper van we hired, but that's another story, nice pole, hopefully someone is still using it).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2023 at 12:33 PM, pompeii said:

I was there last Nov/Dec. In at least one port there were inspectors on the ship inspecting bags.  I had an opened bag of snack mix I had purchased in Melbourne that was taken from me.  So even opened snacks purchased there are apparently not allowed. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Red Haired Lady said:

I was there last Nov/Dec. In at least one port there were inspectors on the ship inspecting bags.  I had an opened bag of snack mix I had purchased in Melbourne that was taken from me.  So even opened snacks purchased there are apparently not allowed. 

ALL packaged snacks are to be sealed if taking off the ship. Opened packets are not allowed at all. 

• Thanks 1

Learning things all the time.  I’ll be sure to wash the bottoms of our shoes before we pack them.  

We will not bring snacks except for the plane.  ( I would have bought them here and put them in checked bags but I guess not.) DH has food allergies so we have to bring something for him to eat as we can’t even request proper meals for him on the plane.  We will wait until arrival in Australia to buy more.  Do you sell things like peanut butter crackers there?  Here these are prepackaged crackers that already have peanut butter on them.  It’s a good staple for him. On the ship we have no issues, they accommodate, it’s just in ports of call.  

10 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Do you sell things like peanut butter crackers there?  Here these are prepackaged crackers that already have peanut butter on them.  It’s a good staple for him. On the ship we have no issues, they accommodate, it’s just in ports of call.  

I haven't seen peanut butter crackers here but that doesn't mean you can't buy them. You can buy cheese and cracker and tuna and cracker snack packs.