Seeing northern lights near Norway

We are taking a cruise to see the northern lights this fall.  We will have several days in Norway by or in the artic circle.  Will I be able to see the northern lights from the boat or do we need to do an excursion at the ports which go look for the northern lights?  Hate to waste the money on the excursion if we will see them on board, but worried they will sell out.  Thanks for any info.  

Speaking generalities.

Light are not constant, they are a gift from the sun and atmosphere.  So simply random.  

Cloud cover will of course ruin the event.  Clouds and fog more likely on marine locals.

I have heard reports that some NL chases actually go all the way into Finland looking for  open sky.  Some people say the saw from boat.

it is an adventure.  It is lucky chance plus opportunity.  I will likely join a chase

If you are going on the cruise with the primary purpose of seeing the northern lights, I would recommend an excursion.

There are good chances of seeing the northern lights from the ship, but better chances on an excursion. If the sky is clear, it is subordinate, except that there is more light in the harbor and in the city, but if it is cloudy, the excursion will go to the place where there is the greatest chance of less clouds and thus to see the Northern Lights.
On my most recent winter cruise to northern Norway, I only saw the northern lights from the ship.

Truly a gift from God with no guarantee you will see them.  Best chance would be to seek out a tour guide.  Do your homework and research your options, along with reviews.  We just got back yesterday to experience the 24 sun and enjoyed it.  There are many museums, a church and planetariums that offer videos, not the same but might be the closest you get to them.  The Arctic is truly an amazing place to visit.

Check your dates against the phase of moon as well - Cunard's November 2020 'Norway and Northern Lights' placed the Tromso stop norther lights expeditions with a rater full moon in the sky. You never really got dark adapted, so aurora were more visible in photos than to the eye. 

Ask if the ship will turn the upper deck lights off.  If they won't then you won't see the lights from the ship unless it is a very strong show.

We did a South Atlantic cruise a few years ago and met the Navigator and arranged a "Southern Sky" viewing get together one evening, as many of us wanted to "See the Southern Cross for the First Time" as Jimmy Buffett sings, along with other rare to us constellations.  He arranged for the lights on the top deck to be turned off for the show.

• Like 1