Silver Muse or Seabourn Quest in Japan

commodoredave

We have a booking on the Silver Muse for April of 2024 to sail in Japan (itinerary below). Our friends are looking at a cruise on the Seabourn Quest in April of 2025 for Japan (itinerary below). As we have never been to Japan, I asked in the ports of call section which itinerary looked best to those with knowledge of Japan. I received one response as follows:

"The first itinerary (Seabourn Quest) has several small ports that do not have much significance - except that they are the "Real Japan". That is, the Japan that most Japanese people are familiar with. The sight-seeing in those ports will not have the WOW factor that Tokyo, Shimizu, Kobe, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima, and Nagasaki have.

The second itinerary (Silver Muse) is more loaded with the classic tourist things that most visitors to Japan want to see and experience."

I would appreciate any other insights that people may have about the itineraries, and other factors that might come into play. Having said that, we love both Silversea and Seabourn, and understand the difference between them.

Thanks. 

Seabourn japan.jpeg

Silversea japan.jpeg

You may also want to look at the Azamara Japan Intensive itinerary. We did this route last spring and it was fabulous and we sailed in the inland sea - and we got lucky and were there when the cherry blossoms were out. However, the Silver Sea stop at Hokodate is an unusual stop for cruise ships and would be very interesting.

image.thumb.png.96ef24e6e720c4f34e38acdf4ad3608b.png

3 hours ago, commodoredave said:

We have a booking on the Silver Muse for April of 2024 to sail in Japan (itinerary below). Our friends are looking at a cruise on the Seabourn Quest in April of 2025 for Japan (itinerary below). As we have never been to Japan, I asked in the ports of call section which itinerary looked best to those with knowledge of Japan. I received one response as follows:

"The first itinerary (Seabourn Quest) has several small ports that do not have much significance - except that they are the "Real Japan". That is, the Japan that most Japanese people are familiar with. The sight-seeing in those ports will not have the WOW factor that Tokyo, Shimizu, Kobe, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima, and Nagasaki have.

The second itinerary (Silver Muse) is more loaded with the classic tourist things that most visitors to Japan want to see and experience."

I would appreciate any other insights that people may have about the itineraries, and other factors that might come into play. Having said that, we love both Silversea and Seabourn, and understand the difference between them.

Thanks. 

Seabourn japan.jpeg

Silversea japan.jpeg

Better ports on the Seabourn itinerary.

It's a tough one as Silversea ship is excellent.

Both will be good whichever you choose.

25 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Better ports on the Seabourn itinerary.

It's a tough one as Silversea ship is excellent.

Both will be good whichever you choose.

Thanks for the insight. Any reason why you think the Seabourn itinerary has better ports? The commenter in the Ports (Asia) said he thought the ports on the Silversea itinerary were better as they had more of the major tourist attractions. 

Edited by commodoredave

1 hour ago, CynthiaP said:

You may also want to look at the Azamara Japan Intensive itinerary. We did this route last spring and it was fabulous and we sailed in the inland sea - and we got lucky and were there when the cherry blossoms were out. However, the Silver Sea stop at Hokodate is an unusual stop for cruise ships and would be very interesting.

image.thumb.png.96ef24e6e720c4f34e38acdf4ad3608b.png

Thanks for the suggestion. We did look at the Azamara itinerary for Japan because it is a very good one, as are many of their itineraries. But having sailed on one of the old R-Class ships before it was bought by Azamara, I'm not sure we would enjoy the ship as the cabins and bathrooms were small, and we didn't like the overall layout. Having said that, our friends who are looking at the Seabourn Japan cruise are sailing with Azamara next February on back to back cruises from Africa to the Canaries. We will await their report before making any final judgements on Azamara.

44 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

Thanks for the insight. Any reason why you think the Seabourn itinerary has better ports? The commenter in the Ports (Asia) said he thought the ports on the Silversea itinerary were better as they had more of the major tourist attractions. 

Seabourn has the slightly more unusual ports that you wouldn't always go to.

It's a small point but of interest to me.

I like the Quest and it's size so that might sway me also.

With something over 70 visits to Japan I prefer the SS and Azamara cruises instead of Seabourn. If you are first time visitors to Japan that recommendation is even stronger. The Seabourn ports are in some ways more interesting and I wouldn't mind doing that itinerary as most of the SS ports are places we have been to several times.

Despite that we are on the Muse in October from Yokohama to Cairns via Singapore. As well we have already booked the Muse again in march 24 from Bali to Yokohama and tacked on the next voyage around Japan. That is early April so should see some cherry blossoms.

What are we looking forward to on our cruise around Japan. Lots of things.

Kagoshima. Revisiting Iso gardens - we just love Japanese gardens.Plus Sakurajimi Island.

Osaka. Visit a sumo training facility.

Yokohama. Sankeien gardens.

Shimizu. Vintage steam train ride, I'm a sucker for steam trains.

Kobe. Himeji Castle. We have been a few times but not at Cherry blossom time.

Hiroshima. Another place we have been to many times so Hiroshima castle and gardens which we haven't visited.

Kanazawa. A day of independent travel with their markets and the Kenrokuen gardens. Rated one of the top 3 gardens in Japan. We have already visited in cherry blossom time but with over 60's getting free admission we can't pass up the opportunity.

Akita. The Oga peninsula. great scenery.

Aomori. Hirosaki castle. We have been before in cherry blossom time though may be a little early this time. Some rate this as the best sakura spot in Japan.

Hakodate. SS uses this a lot and we began an Explorer cruise from here. Goryokaku park. another good sakura viewing spot but likely to be a little early.

On top of this I am not tempted by Seabourn itinerary as a few times we have hired a car and been to several of those areas. A much better way of seeing the real Japan.

Edited by drron29
  • Like 2

This is easy. We would choose Silversea Muse

The ship is newer, far better deck facilities eg larger pool, more space per passenger with a real track, far more varied restaurants (2 times) and within them the food and wine choices are more sophisticated, tours are included, and higher priced suites on Muse give better value with butter service.

Done.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, markham said:

This is easy. We would choose Silversea Muse

The ship is newer, far better deck facilities eg larger pool, more space per passenger with a real track, far more varied restaurants (2 times) and within them the food and wine choices are more sophisticated, tours are included, and higher priced suites on Muse give better value with butter service.

Done.

Tell is about the butter service Markham 

• Haha 1

Well I believe in the suites above a silver suite you get served Beurre De Baratte. The rest of us get Lurpak.

And If you believe this I have a bridge i want to sell.😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Well I believe in the suites above a silver suite you get served Beurre De Baratte. The rest of us get Lurpak.

And If you believe this I have a bridge i want to sell.😉

This could take over from the soap selection.

Basic suites get lard. 

• Haha 3

Since all suites on Muse have butler service the buck stops there with virtually all your communications with the ship’s departments eg reservations for dining, tours  etc. No queuing for your turn to discuss whatever it is at Seabourn Square where the staff type into some system your issues for further tracking- while others ahead of you in the queue chat away about their day.

Of course, I am exaggerating, but you will save time and one point of contact is better. Another point is that the Seabourn expensive suites include no special services for paying all this dosh eg Regent’s butlers on their best suites. Silversea has it right in my book.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, markham said:

Since all suites on Muse have butler service the buck stops there with virtually all your communications with the ship’s departments eg reservations for dining, tours  etc. No queuing for your turn to discuss whatever it is at Seabourn Square where the staff type into some system your issues for further tracking- while others ahead of you in the queue chat away about their day.

Of course, I am exaggerating, but you will save time and one point of contact is better. Another point is that the Seabourn expensive suites include no special services for paying all this dosh eg Regent’s butlers on their best suites. Silversea has it right in my book.

Markham,

It sounds like you are finished with Seabourn now and have made a full transfer to Silversea.

I would make sure the trip included a full day (land or sea) private tour of Kyoto.  When we went to Hiroshima museum & park it was extremely crowed because several cruise ships and school arrived (9/10 AM) at the same time.  It was difficult to get a full appreciation of the museum.   I would probably also do a private tour here that arrives early.  Agree with drron on Kagoshima.  If your trip extends into late April/ early May be aware of Golden Week, its the biggest vacation week in Japan and tourist sites will be very crowded.  In our experience ANA has a great business & first class.  Wonderful country & people.

Cherry Blossom Prognostications

https://livejapan.com/en/article-a0001033/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, drron29 said:

With something over 70 visits to Japan I prefer the SS and Azamara cruises instead of Seabourn. If you are first time visitors to Japan that recommendation is even stronger. The Seabourn ports are in some ways more interesting and I wouldn't mind doing that itinerary as most of the SS ports are places we have been to several times.

Despite that we are on the Muse in October from Yokohama to Cairns via Singapore. As well we have already booked the Muse again in march 24 from Bali to Yokohama and tacked on the next voyage around Japan. That is early April so should see some cherry blossoms.

What are we looking forward to on our cruise around Japan. Lots of things.

Kagoshima. Revisiting Iso gardens - we just love Japanese gardens.Plus Sakurajimi Island.

Osaka. Visit a sumo training facility.

Yokohama. Sankeien gardens.

Shimizu. Vintage steam train ride, I'm a sucker for steam trains.

Kobe. Himeji Castle. We have been a few times but not at Cherry blossom time.

Hiroshima. Another place we have been to many times so Hiroshima castle and gardens which we haven't visited.

Kanazawa. A day of independent travel with their markets and the Kenrokuen gardens. Rated one of the top 3 gardens in Japan. We have already visited in cherry blossom time but with over 60's getting free admission we can't pass up the opportunity.

Akita. The Oga peninsula. great scenery.

Aomori. Hirosaki castle. We have been before in cherry blossom time though may be a little early this time. Some rate this as the best sakura spot in Japan.

Hakodate. SS uses this a lot and we began an Explorer cruise from here. Goryokaku park. another good sakura viewing spot but likely to be a little early.

On top of this I am not tempted by Seabourn itinerary as a few times we have hired a car and been to several of those areas. A much better way of seeing the real Japan.

Thank you, Drron29, for your advice. This is indeed our first visit to Japan so I have copied and printed off your detailed comments which I know will be very useful in our planning. Looks like we may see you on the same cruise around Japan departing April 3.

10 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I would make sure the trip included a full day (land or sea) private tour of Kyoto.  When we went to Hiroshima museum & park it was extremely crowed because several cruise ships and school arrived (9/10 AM) at the same time.  It was difficult to get a full appreciation of the museum.   I would probably also do a private tour here that arrives early.  Agree with drron on Kagoshima.  If your trip extends into late April/ early May be aware of Golden Week, its the biggest vacation week in Japan and tourist sites will be very crowded.  In our experience ANA has a great business & first class.  Wonderful country & people.

Cherry Blossom Prognostications

https://livejapan.com/en/article-a0001033/

Good tips. I will definitely look into a private tour of Kyoto.