San Francisco hotel recs. near the cruise terminals.

CeeJayPonz

We love to walk to port when it's an option, so we stayed at Riu - Fisherman's Warf.  It's an easy walk to the port if you don't have a lot of luggage.  And of course walking distance to Fisherman's Warf if you have time the day before embarkation to spend some time there.  

The hotel is nice, the bathroom seemed unusually small (but not as small as on the ship so not a big deal to us for one night).

Edited by csm5986142
  • Like 1

A few years ago we stayed at Hotel Zoe in the Fisherman's Wharf area.  We were able to walk to the garage where we parked for the cruise (about 10 minutes max), walked to Ghradelli Sq, to the Wharf (all short 5/10 minute walks) and could have walked to the terminal (we took an Uber). Coming home we walked from Terminal to garage.

Hotel rooms were small but everything felt high end at the property. 

not knowing exactly what you want ( just a place to stay for the night, no frills , close to touristic places etc) consider hotels further away from the port.  Zoom in on your Google Maps and tab the Tram icon to see where the Embarcadero Line runs. You can consider using a hotel along the line if you are amenable to riding the tram to the port on embarkation day.  San Francisco has near the highest COL in the country.  The Travelodge on Columbus is basic basic basic but the price reflects that and it is clean and safe enough.  Is it cheap, yes, Nice enough that is a judgement call.  I would not expect a lot for 130/night in San Fran

34 minutes ago, Meander Ingwa said:

not knowing exactly what you want ( just a place to stay for the night, no frills , close to touristic places etc) consider hotels further away from the port.  Zoom in on your Google Maps and tab the Tram icon to see where the Embarcadero Line runs. You can consider using a hotel along the line if you are amenable to riding the tram to the port on embarkation day.  San Francisco has near the highest COL in the country.  The Travelodge on Columbus is basic basic basic but the price reflects that and it is clean and safe enough.  Is it cheap, yes, Nice enough that is a judgement call.  I would not expect a lot for 130/night in San Fran

Its the F line. Carrying check in size bags on the F line is very difficult, and not recommended. The cars are historic old tram cars, and pretty crowded and small.

1 hour ago, Meander Ingwa said:

well there is always Lyft / Uber.

But what ever the mode of travel, is there a real reason to stay right in the neighborhood?

Just looking at being close to the cruise terminal. It may end up being not much of an issue anyway.

Same as the other question.

Use Uber or Wingz from the airport.

For a value hotel, I like the Columbus Motor Inn and the sister properties, Chelsea Inn, Coventry Inn, Cow Hollow Inn and Cow Hollow Suites.

https://cowhollowmotorinn.com/sister_properties.html

For four couples I'd prefer them over anything in Fisherman's Wharf.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2023 at 7:39 PM, csm5986142 said:

We love to walk to port when it's an option, so we stayed at Riu - Fisherman's Warf.  It's an easy walk to the port if you don't have a lot of luggage.  And of course walking distance to Fisherman's Warf if you have time the day before embarkation to spend some time there.  

The hotel is nice, the bathroom seemed unusually small (but not as small as on the ship so not a big deal to us for one night).

We loved the location of Hotel Riu.  Very nice, reasonably priced, huge breakfast selection, excellent location and if you wanted to walk to the terminal you could. 

I just posted a video of the ride from the hotel to the pier on my YT channel showing how close it is. There's also a few pix from our Hotel Riu 2Q room at the beginning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1