Live from the NCL Spirit B2B July 5-19, 2023 (more sarcasm and grumpiness!)

YVRteacher

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from YVRteacher! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

YVRteacher was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Hello! My dad and I will be cruising on the NCL Spirit on a back to back cruise from Vancouver to Seward to Vancouver.  Dad is 80, loves beer, cruising, complaining and wildlife.  My dad’s goals for 2023 are to drink more beer and to survive another year. 

After having a stroke in 2020, my dad moved into a senior’s residence.  He has dementia but is physically strong and healthy.  His biggest challenges are memory loss, mood swings and some executive functioning skills.  He would deny all of this!

I am not 80. I love travel adventures, hiking, creating, reading, writing and Lee’s doughnuts. I am an elementary school teacher librarian.  My goals for the year are to explore new places, make new friends, try new experiences and understand my financial investments.

For the first time, I filled out the NCL Access Desk forms for both of us.  I’m finding it increasingly challenging to get vegetarian food that includes protein and my dad needs some adaptations especially with embarkation and with anything involving a wait.  He also needs small portions for meals as large meals make him panic (he was born in a bomb shelter during WWII and was raised to never waste food.)

I submitted the forms in May, heard back about my form a couple weeks later then received an email from NCL stating they would provide a phone number for me to call at the Port of Vancouver for assistance expediting embarkation. When we cruised in May I just whispered to each port person that my dad has dementia and doesn’t have the ability to wait in a long line.  It is one week before we cruise and I have yet to receive the magic phone number which will unlock a pain-free embarkation experience. 

We are now NCL stockholders.  I have no logical explanation as to why we didn’t purchase NCL stock years ago.  Oh well.  We have them now.  They were purchased at $14.50 US per share.  I expect to get rich and be able to buy my own L’Occitane products instead of bringing along an empty travel tube and filling it with grapefruit scented shampoo from the fancy bottle in the shower in the Penthouse Suite. A girl can dream…

Note to self: always read the terms and conditions. I did not know that the shareholder onboard credit was per cabin, not per person.  Only one of us should have bought the shares.  Off topic, I can’t stand it when people write or say “should of” instead of “should have.”

Why the Spirit?

1. -We have never sailed on her before 
  2. -We couldn’t get a two bedroom suite on the Jewel for two weeks back to back
  3. -There is no flight involved when we leave from Vancouver and my dad doesn’t want to fly (he has no fear of flying and has never had a long delay, cancelled flight or bad experience.  He THINKS he dislikes flying and that his last experience was awful.  This is dementia and there is nothing I can say or do to convince him otherwise.)
  4. -Older, smaller ships seem to suit my dad better these days.
  5. -Our itinerary originally included Valdez and we like new-to-us ports. Valdez was canceled for the summer when NCL realized it was not profitable nor did the town have the capacity or infrastructure in place to meet the needs of cruisers at a cargo port.
  6. -We both love Alaska.

We were on the NCL Jewel for our annual B2B birthday cruise in May 2023 and had a wonderful time both in Alaska and onboard the ship.  Here is a live review from this trip and a live review of the same trip last year.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2929982-live-from-the-ncl-jewel-may-1-15-2023-caution-may-contain-grumpiness-and-sarcasm/#comment-65177983

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 16

Both itineraries changed when Valdez was removed. I had already made my trip planner so liberally applied white correction tape to make the changes:  now my very sophisticated and technologically advanced trip planner has more edits than the Treaty of Versailles.

IMG_4233.thumb.jpeg.5d60c76cc53b7c49aa039d905db859fd.jpeg

Thanks to @Seas2mountains excellent live review from the Spirit, not only am I excited but I was also able to sit with my dad and show him what the ship looks like and what to expect from the Freestyle Dailies. My dad will likely be very disappointed because whoever is writing the Freestyle Dailies is a strong proofreader and I am not seeing a lot of typos. My dad loves to sit in bed at night on a cruise and gleefully circle typos in the Freestyle Daily.

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 18
  • Haha 9

Our current Big Worry is whether or not the looming port strike in Vancouver will impact the cruise industry.  Newscasters are throwing about speculations at the same rate NCL is tossing out all the good production shows!

The strike vote took place last week and the actual strike is set to start July 1.  Not only am I worried about whether or not we will be able to board, I am also deeply concerned that my requisite amount of tequila and whiskey will be in a pallet that does not make it onto the ship. That would be a tragedy in proportion to climate change and the receding Mendenhall Glacier.  I will not be too disappointed if the pallet with the broccoli and the kale gets left behind on a barge in the Salish Sea.

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Haha 19

I would like to suggest that at some point early in your cruise, you ask to speak to both Food an Beverage Director Mohammad Hasan (goes by Hasan) and Restaurant Manager Manoel D'Sliva about your dietary.  That will give them faces too put with the information the Access Desk will send them.  They are both very kind and understanding gentlemen.  I have known both for many years.

Enjoy this special time with your Dad.

BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG HUG

Love and prayers always

Mandy

• Like 3

Our school year ended this week and I am depleted and a little bit numb. Hopefully this trip will be rejuvenating in all the best ways.

I am looking forward to:

-whale watching with Jayleen in Juneau

-exploring and experiencing Sitka for the first time

-being on board the Spirit 

-truffles in Juneau

-a photography workshop and tour in Ketchikan

-playing all the games and trivias on board

-reading

-that all aboard drink. What should it be this time?

My dad is excited for unlimited beer, Alaska and being away from his senior’s home. He is also looking forward to dining with people who don’t talk with their mouth full.

I took him to Granville Island last weekend because we had tickets to see Million Dollar Quartet. We had some time to spare before the show so browsed the Net Loft. In the hat store, my dad complained there were too many hats.

• Like 9
  • Haha 8

Has anyone ever been on a cruise with NCL and needed to do the online check in for another cruise on a different NCL ship while onboard? I’m wondering if the Internet cafe manager would help with this so my internet minutes don’t dwindle away.

6 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Has anyone ever been on a cruise with NCL and needed to do the online check in for another cruise on a different NCL ship while onboard? I’m wondering if the Internet cafe manager would help with this so my internet minutes don’t dwindle away.

Never hurts to ask.  Also, maybe ask them at the cruise next desk.  Good luck and enjoy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

I did this once in 2019.  The ncl website was accessible without using internet minutes, so I was able to login to the ncl website and check in without using any minutes.  That was 4 years ago on the Jewel.  Generally I've found that the ncl website is fully accessible when on board.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Our school year ended this week and I am depleted and a little bit numb. Hopefully this trip will be rejuvenating in all the best ways.

I took him to Granville Island last weekend because we had tickets to see Million Dollar Quartet. We had some time to spare before the show so browsed the Net Loft. In the hat store, my dad complained there were too many hats.

Oh yes, your dad and my hubs are definitely brothers from another mother. Wishing you a most relaxing and joyful cruise. May there be no extra pillows. Did you hear from guest accessibility yet? I’ll be curious how they help. I would like to plan another Jewell for 2024 but it is far too soon. May watch for a last minute deal. ML

• Like 1

😂

I didn’t even ask for the pillows to be removed this time.  I will swiftly fix the pillow situation upon cabin arrival!

Consider the Jewel for the first two weeks in May 2024: we are on board then.

Did your husband collect any rocks on your last cruise? I meant to ask you that.

• Haha 1

Enjoy your cruise and I look forward to your always entertaining posts. We have sailed on the Spirit twice, first a 3 week cruise Sydney to Singapore pre refurbishment and just recently on a 2 week cruise Sydney to Papeete. The refurbishment is fabulous and makes the ship feel very high end. I am sure you and your Dad will enjoy the ship 😎

• Like 2

This New England gal is excited to follow along for some more grumpiness and sarcasm (and fun in Alaska with you and your Dad!).  

Hoping the strike doesn't affect the ships supply of adult beverages for you!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

That’s a problem I’d like to have! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Did a little deep dive into the pending longshore worker strike.  According to my research, there is an agreement that cruise ships and grain processing will not be affected. Fortunately whiskey is grain-based…

• Like 7

As an aside, if there is a person from your town/city/neighbourhood who is on Cruise Critic and you haven’t yet met in person, go for it. You may meet someone as wonderful as @ceilidh1

We went out for dinner and drinks last week and talked non-stop for hours. Such a joy to meet you @ceilidh1!

• Like 13

What ship are you sailing for your Iceland B2B?  As always, I hope you have a wonderful time.

Can not wait to hear about this Aslaskan cruise.

You might want to ask Hasan about having meals delivered if Dad becomes disorented because of being on a different ship.

I admire you for your care of your Dad.

Just heard from Steven Jacobsen.  He is heading home to Milwaukee tomorrow.

BIG BIG BIG BIG HUG

Love and prayyers always,

Mandy

• Like 1

He’ll be fine (I think.) I won’t let him out of sight unless he feels comfortable and I trust that he can navigate the ship safely and surely. We talked on our last cruise and I mentioned that longer cruises are better for him than one week cruises because it takes him time to adjust and once he knows his way around he is happier. He agreed.

In all our cruises we have only ever eaten in the cabin twice for room service breakfast.  My dad prefers dining in restaurants. We are very “out and about on the ship” cruisers not “stay in the cabin” people.

I look forward to meeting Hasan though!

• Like 2

For Iceland and Norway I’m on a ship I swore I would never sail on again: NCL Star.  I’ll be doing a live review and have adjusted my expectations for that cruise to be about the ports and not about the shipboard experience.

• Like 3

First two weeks in May. I don’t know, 2 librarians and two grumpy old men? That could be quite the voyage, LOL. Rocks on our June trip? With his cane, we skipped backpacks on shore so he could only fit rocks in his pockets. I have to say his pants were hanging low a few times. Also had to convince him that he couldn’t steal the guide’s rocks on the Hubbard Glacier boat trip.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1