QM2 change of course .

Millieloulou

All the information that I heard about Cunard from crew suggests that Cunard care a great deal about their employees. It sounds like they have made considerable efforts to look after the unlucky crew member who had the medical issue. After all both crew members as well as passengers could have a medical emergency at any time. Just unlucky it was in foggy conditions, but would have been a lot worse if half way across the Atlantic.

• Like 3

Just now, ballroom-cruisers said:

All the information that I heard about Cunard from crew suggests that Cunard care a great deal about their employees. It sounds like they have made considerable efforts to look after the unlucky crew member who had the medical issue. After all both crew members as well as passengers could have a medical emergency at any time. Just unlucky it was in foggy conditions, but would have been a lot worse if half way across the Atlantic.

Currently sat in the library and very upset to hear what sounded like complaining from another passenger when they found out it was a crew member who had a medical issue.

Crew or not, everyone is entitled to the same medical treatment and needs to get medical treatment.

Hope they make a speedy recovery.

• Like 8

I had been following the voyage and was surprised to see the Halifax diversion. Looks like they have taken care of the ill crew member. Those who have onward flights should contact their airlines asap to re-book. You don't want to risk being a no-show and losing your ticket money. 

Last weekend the US air traffic was a mess due to weather and short staffing at the FAA. The coming weekend is a holiday weekend and could be as bad. Once re-booked you might want to spend a day in a Hotel in NYC and catch a Saturday, Sunday flight or even Monday

They should be less busy than Friday the beginning of the Holiday/ 

Good Luck. 

4 hours ago, stiej said:

Does anyone know how travel insurance will work for this? We are booked on Amtrak at 215pm and will be missing the train and Saturdays is sold out so it looks like Sunday will be my first opportunity to get the train and we will have to stay in new York two night then. 

Did you buy the add-on Amtrak ticket insurance?

I read the thread.  I was unable to completely understand the total delay that occurred.  I believe that instead of arriving in New York in the morning, it’s going to now arrive in the afternoon.  Obviously the subsequent cruise would leave late. But from what I’ve read the QM2 could easily make up the lost time eastbound to SouthHampton.  Do I understand correctly?

As I just - well last friday- dissembarked QM2- I followed her course ( as I do from time to time) back to New York. Kudos for Cunard - great that they take good care of their crew and make no difference between crew and passengers.

Shame and double Shame on the passenger who complained that " just because of crew" ! Unbelievable behaviour in this time and age.

I will do a review when i can take the time - just one thing- QM2 is and stay my favorite ship out there.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steve4031 said:

I read the thread.  I was unable to completely understand the total delay that occurred.  I believe that instead of arriving in New York in the morning, it’s going to now arrive in the afternoon.  Obviously the subsequent cruise would leave late. But from what I’ve read the QM2 could easily make up the lost time eastbound to SouthHampton.  Do I understand correctly?

This is our second medical emergency of this TA and QM2 was making up from the first easily. I believe the east bound crossing can be made up if weather permits. We're going 23 knots now in not too bad seas but 50 kt winds are giving the ship a bit of a sway. 

I'm very impressed how Cunard deals with emergencies. They are offering full dining tomorrow and AM activities, including a NY arrival party. Keep Cool/Carry On. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, steve4031 said:

Here's my timeline of the delay that occurred for the diversion to Halifax.

1) Diversion began June 29 at approximately 02:00 Halifax time. QM2 had to turn 90° to divert from her generally westerly heading toward New York to a generally northerly heading to Halifax about 200NM away.

2) Arrived Halifax at approximately 11:00 local time.

3) Departed Halifax at approximately 12:00 local time.

4) Back out in the open ocean with an equivalent distance to New York as at the point of diversion at approximately 14:00 Halifax time.

Therefore, I calculate the diversion cost QM2 about 12 hours total. The fact that she is now scheduled to arrive only 8 hours late tomorrow June 30 is a testament to her ability to make up 4 hours by increasing her speed an average of roughly 3.5 knots during the final run into New York.

Now if we assume QM2's departure tomorrow will be delayed 8 hours, I figure she can make up that time by adding about 1.2 knots to her average speed over the duration of the crossing to arrive in Southampton on schedule. That shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 5

@bluemarble, I think you've just followed on from @steve4031's comment.

She shouldn't have any problem making her July 2nd arrival at Halifax on time with a sea day in between.

All your calculations are wonderfully informative as usual, just the onward destination. 😀

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Now if we assume QM2's departure tomorrow will be delayed 8 hours, I figure she can make up that time by adding about 1.2 knots to her average speed over the duration of the crossing to arrive in Southampton on schedule. That shouldn't be a problem.

QM2 is supposed to arrive in Hallifax July 2nd, and then onto Boston for the 4th of July.

4 hours ago, D&N said:

@bluemarble, I think you've just followed on from @steve4031's comment.

She shouldn't have any problem making her July 2nd arrival at Halifax on time with a sea day in between.

All your calculations are wonderfully informative as usual, just the onward destination. 😀

52 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

QM2 is supposed to arrive in Hallifax July 2nd, and then onto Boston for the 4th of July.

Ah, yes. Quite right. QM2 is of course going to be off on her Independence Day Celebration cruise, not a crossing back to Southampton quite yet. It's ironic that her first port of call will be Halifax.

As originally scheduled, QM2 would have 38 hours to make that roughly 600NM distance, at an average speed of about 16 knots. If we assume she will have a shortened 30 hours available now, that can be accomplished at an average speed of about 20 knots. That's obviously well within QM2's capabilities.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Ah, yes. Quite right. QM2 is of course going to be off on her Independence Day Celebration cruise, not a crossing back to Southampton quite yet. It's ironic that her first port of call will be Halifax.

As originally scheduled, QM2 would have 38 hours to make that roughly 600NM distance, at an average speed of about 16 knots. If we assume she will have a shortened 30 hours available now, that can be accomplished at an average speed of about 20 knots. That's obviously well within QM2's capabilities.

Yes....

Expected arrival - at best 3PM (off the Hamptons Now), Come 6 hours from what the Doc Boarding Pass Time says, All A Boarding - 10PM and expected sailing - 11PM..

Should be an interesting day to be at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal day......We're Prepared and Ready.

They will get a chance to visit their Crew Mate in Halifax......

• Like 4

Just now, BklynBoy8 said:

Yes....

Expected arrival - at best 3PM (off the Hamptons Now), Come 6 hours from what the Doc Boarding Pass Time says, All A Boarding - 10PM and expected sailing - 11PM..

Should be an interesting day to be at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal day......We're Prepared and Ready.

Correct - all aboard time today is 9:30pm - going to be a very busy day today..

37 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I'll be there.  Right now relaxing until it's time to head for Brooklyn.  

• Like 1

Plus, all drinks packages have been extended for the rest of the day...

Pool party starts at 12:30. Our debarkation is at 5:30, lots of staggering times of leaving ship. 

No news onboard about condition of the crew member, hoping that no news is good news. 

Good luck to all of us today!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NE John said:

Plus, all drinks packages have been extended for the rest of the day...

Pool party starts at 12:30. Our debarkation is at 5:30, lots of staggering times of leaving ship. 

No news onboard about condition of the crew member, hoping that no news is good news. 

Good luck to all of us today!!

Hi John,

Enjoy the Pool Party.....Have A Mai Tai on me...lol

See you're off the Hamptons

Later in the day should be interesting at BCT...Not coming will 615-630..

Yes, Crew Member on Our Minds...

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Yes....

The estimated 3:00pm arrival time today is looking like a pretty good estimate at this point. If that is the case, I'll be interested to see if they can manage to cut two hours off the usual turn-around time and turn that 8 hour arrival delay into only a 6 hour departure delay for an 11:00pm departure.

• Thanks 1

FYI only - thoughts and prayers to the crew member onboard with the medical emergency that s/he is getting the best world care ashore & recovering.  

One of our nieces scheduled to depart for today's Canada/NE cruise on QM2, received notifications around midday / noon yesterday that due to onboard medical & diversion, ship arrival into Red Hook, Brooklyn today delayed by 6 hours.  Check-in time is from 17:00 to 21:00 EDT (5 to 9 pm) and sailaway or departure at 23:00 EDT.  Each pax will receive a $25 refund (OBC ??) from Cunard.  

Since our niece is just a few miles from Red Hook pier, she and friends will just much later than usual instead.  < Updated ETA about 16:30 hour, per cruisemapper - she is off the southshore of LI, already past the Hamptons, near Shirley, at 22 knots > 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

One of our nieces scheduled to depart for today's Canada/NE cruise on QM2, received notifications around midday / noon yesterday that due to onboard medical & diversion, ship arrival into Red Hook, Brooklyn today delayed by 6 hours.  Check-in time is from 17:00 to 21:00 EDT (5 to 9 pm) and sailaway or departure at 23:00 EDT.  Each pax will receive a $25 refund (OBC ??) from Cunard.  

You are correct.  I got that email yesterday at 12.30pm; and the $25 is OBC.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

The estimated 3:00pm arrival time today is looking like a pretty good estimate at this point. If that is the case, I'll be interested to see if they can manage to cut two hours off the usual turn-around time and turn that 8 hour arrival delay into only a 6 hour departure delay for an 11:00pm departure.

John,

Getting information from on board so working with their data. One on board heard some one in an elevator saying a friend got an after 9 or more changed boarding time, So don't know if they are going down to the line.

I see her off of LI - Patchogue going 22.8

We'll Post When She Drops Line and for the Bridge.

• Like 1