Buffet Hygine

steveso

We are presently on the Ventura. On the first day anyone entering the buffet was required to use a hand sanitizer. From day 2 onwards that stopped and a couple of the entrances don’t even have them. I asked the buffet manager and he said they have a 48 hour sanitizer policy then after that they don’t bother. 

Is that now the norm on most cruise lines, P&O or just the Ventura being lax?

• Like 1

Just one of several reasons we avoid eating in the buffet. Though having said that, the hand sanitiser has only a limited effect, compared with handwashing, and I’ve seen more than enough people not bothering to wash their hands after using the lavatory to make me avoid buffets altogether. 

• Like 4

No.   There's an eternally cheerful young lady at the entrance to the buffet on MSC Virtuosa who thanks you for washing your hands, sprays you with hand sanitiser then tells you to have a nice day.

Edited by showingdiva
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Just one of several reasons we avoid eating in the buffet. Though having said that, the hand sanitiser has only a limited effect, compared with handwashing, and I’ve seen more than enough people not bothering to wash their hands after using the lavatory to make me avoid buffets altogether. 

I avoid the Lavatories.

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

No.   There's an eternally cheerful young lady at the entrance to the buffet on MSC Virtuosa who thanks you for washing your hands, sprays you with hand sanitiser then tells you to have a nice day.

Does she work for MSC ?,or just somebody with an unusual hobby. If you have the cleanest hands ever and then are required to wash them.you turn on the tap, sqiurt the soap, wash your hands,turn off the tap, get a paper towel and open the door. Recipe for disaster.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, steveso said:

We are presently on the Ventura. On the first day anyone entering the buffet was required to use a hand sanitizer. From day 2 onwards that stopped and a couple of the entrances don’t even have them. I asked the buffet manager and he said they have a 48 hour sanitizer policy then after that they don’t bother. 

Is that now the norm on most cruise lines, P&O or just the Ventura being lax?

I am quite honestly amazed.

I have sailed with P&O for many years and they have always had hand sanitizing stations at the restaurant and buffet entrances. This practice well predated covid and was I understand a precaution agains Norovirus, which is still exists. All other lines with which I have sailed have taken similar precautions. It beggars belief that P&O would discontinue this practice.

• Like 4

We have just returned from a cruise on Arcadia and can confirm that hand sanitiser was available at all the entrances to the buffet along with a sink for washing your hands, although it never ceases to amaze me how many people just walk past both.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, showingdiva said:

However that doesn't stop people using the many other entrances on virtuosa when we were onboard. I got ill for two days sadly yet washed my hands everytime i went into the buffet and used sanitizer after i put my plate down on the table post using the tong's. Still got ill 🤷

56 minutes ago, True Devonian said:

We have just returned from a cruise on Arcadia and can confirm that hand sanitiser was available at all the entrances to the buffet along with a sink for washing your hands, although it never ceases to amaze me how many people just walk past both.

Ditto on Aurora this week

• Like 3

1 hour ago, True Devonian said:

I was on the same cruise and was also amazed and disgusted by the lack hand washing before entering the buffet. In fact not only did people walk past the sink for washing hands and the hand sanitiser they also walked around the sign asking for people to wash hands!! 

1 hour ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

However that doesn't stop people using the many other entrances on virtuosa when we were onboard. I got ill for two days sadly yet washed my hands everytime i went into the buffet and used sanitizer after i put my plate down on the table post using the tong's. Still got ill 🤷

Same here. Just back from Azura. Used sanitiser each time we went in buffet even going back fo dessert. And my own hand gel after using tongs before eating. Still was bit poorly for 2 days. Going to try probiotics before next trip to reinforce my tummy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, True Devonian said:

To posh to wash you get them on all cruise lines, but saying that I have not been on them all just 3

22 minutes ago, Neecy1 said:

Same here. Just back from Azura. Used sanitiser each time we went in buffet even going back fo dessert. And my own hand gel after using tongs before eating. Still was bit poorly for 2 days. Going to try probiotics before next trip to reinforce my tummy. 

Sanitiser does not kill virus. Hand washing does!

• Like 5

To be fair to cruise lines, this isn't just a cruise issue - it's relevant to all outlets where the public at large are allowed to handle the food, and that includes Waitrose!  After watching mother and child picking up, poking and putting back the breads and pastries we somehow went off the idea of buying any. 

And the only time we've ever had any kind of nasty bug was immediately following a visit to a supermarket serve yourself salad bar - my wife was really unwell following that (we were on holiday at the time). Never again, and all buffets are off-limit altogether. It's not the food, it's not the staff putting the food out - it's the people with poor personal hygiene handling and mishandling the implements used to transport the food from its containers to the plates.  Many's the time you see a handle finding its way into the food.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Sanitiser does not kill virus. Hand washing does!

I agree but you can't really dash to the bathroom to wash your hands once you've put your food on the table before you eat it can you 😉 

2 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Of course it doesn't stop anything.   I work in a hospital in real life, and it's just as bad there as a cruise ship.   If people are going to be (for want of a better word) "manky" irrespective of what measures are taken, there will always be people of all ages who don't wash hands, touch food. etc.   Cruise lines can only do so much.  Passengers need to play their part in acting like responsible grown ups.

• Like 12

I would like to know the reasoning behind the cut backs on sanitation ?

What amazes me is how many iffy things that happen in MDR's .

Granted the buffet's can get a tad risky as the day goes by.

I read people who tell us on cruise ships that buffets are a no no but in the next breath 

tell us what a great bargain their overnight pre cruise hotel with buffet breakfast  was brill  !

Last week when in Manchester we had a pub Carvery and made sure we were first through 

when it opened . First things first , into pub loo's and wash hands with soap and water .

Back to carvery first thing I  handle is a paper serviette one for the plate, second one for 

serving utensils to serve our food.

This method works for us on ships too.

Edited by kalos
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Neecy1 said:

I agree but you can't really dash to the bathroom to wash your hands once you've put your food on the table before you eat it can you 😉 

Problem is that some people believe sanitiser works, so do not wash their hands. I personally avoid the buffet but if I did I would use cutlery to load my plate instead of tongs. 

6 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Problem is that some people believe sanitiser works, so do not wash their hands. I personally avoid the buffet but if I did I would use cutlery to load my plate instead of tongs. 

Like you, we avoid the buffet. It’s not just the lack of personal hygiene, I hate the way one of you has to stay at the table while the other goes for something else to eat or drink. I have seen people clearing tables and sitting down leading to confrontation. Not for me.

10 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

It would be difficult to load fried eggs, baked beans, and scrambled eggs onto your plate using just your own cutlery, as well as very slow for everyone stuck behind you in the  queue.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, GSPG said:

Seems to me if firms were actually serious about viruses of any form on their ships, they would crack down on this in this area.

If the cruise companies were serious about this they would permanently change the operation of the buffet to one where you are served by staff and the food is behind screens - which is what a few have done.

However businesses generally wants to people to be happy so they are return customers and there are more people on ships like P&O operate who want to 'pile it high' and feel awkward asking staff to put another sausage on top of that already towering pile of food, and so they don't and only do so when they cannot avoid it because Noro is rampaging around.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

If the cruise companies were serious about this they would permanently change the operation of the buffet to one where you are served by staff and the food is behind screens - which is what a few have done.

However businesses generally wants to people to be happy so they are return customers and there are more people on ships like P&O operate who want to 'pile it high' and feel awkward asking staff to put another sausage on top of that already towering pile of food, and so they don't and only do so when they cannot avoid it because Noro is rampaging around.

Being a veteran of nearly 40 cruises I can honestly say, that the number of buffet passengers I have seen pile too much food on their plates can be counted on not much more than one hand. I know that this is widely reported, but these greedy passengers must go out of their way to avoid being in the buffet when I am there.

• Like 4