New to Holland - is there escargot served every night?

skoeper

Ask your dining room server if you can order it for the next night.  I had escargot every night on my last cruise by ordering every night for the next night.  At the last dinner, the servers proudly brought me two!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cruiz'nBaers said:

Much to my husband’s disappointment, escargot is not offered nightly on HAL.  He loves this option on Celebrity.  We cruise both of these lines frequently, so he manages to get his escargot quite often.  If we are on HAL, I always order the escargot when it is on the menu, then give it to him, true love.  The last Celebrity cruise we were on in February 2022, he ordered it every evening.

No need for the ultimate sacrifice and give up yours - your DH can order 2 servings of escargots.  Never a problem 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, highscar said:

It would be my starter, main and desert.   

Ha, actually did that on a recent NCL cruise.   Except I did have a dessert that awesome!!  It would take a long time before I got tired of it.  I know I won't get it again for a long time.

On 6/30/2023 at 11:26 AM, skoeper said:

Gosh, that's a lot to type.   Ok, Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam 🙂

Welcome to HAL (cuz Holland America Line is too much to type, lol).

You can use NA for Nieuw Amsterdam and NS for Nieuw Statendam. 

Not sure how many nights escargot is available in the MDR, but it was at least twice in Feb on NA. You could also ask when it's not on the menu if they'llround you some up, you'd be surprised sometimes by what they'll bring when you ask. 🫣

16 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Just order garlic bread!

Now, if we're ordering garlic bread instead of snails swimming in garlic and butter, I'm keeping mine. Only giving up the snails...and the butter.🥴

• Haha 1

Like many of you, I enjoy the occasional snail. Our local fishmonger stocks them. Would I base my vacation choice on the daily availability of snails, mollusks, bivalves and edible worms?

Probably not.

I think it's cool that Celebrity is "all escargot, all the time." I'll admit that it's not really my thing, but how cool must it be to open the Celebrity app and have it say,

*You've got snails! "

Talk about special!

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

5 hours ago, detroit70 said:

Ask your dining room server if you can order it for the next night.  I had escargot every night on my last cruise by ordering every night for the next night.  At the last dinner, the servers proudly brought me two!

Thanks for the tip.  Will try and see what happens.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pickalily, Wilts said:

My garden is plagued with the things!  I'll gladly send you a bucketful.  On a regular basis. 🙂

The snails in your garden are not the escargots that people eat.  😉 

They are just pests, sadly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skoeper said:

Do I get credit for spelling escargot right too?      🤣😂

For sure!! And when you get enough (undisclosed quantity) credits, they convert to OBC with no expiration date. 🤭🙄

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, kazu said:

The snails in your garden are not the escargots that people eat.  😉 

They are just pests, sadly.

The snails in my garden are the escargot that people eat. It is an invasive species that was introduced during the gold rush (presumably by a Frenchman) as a food option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rbelshaw said:

The snails in my garden are the escargot that people eat. It is an invasive species that was introduced during the gold rush (presumably by a Frenchman) as a food option.

OMG - mine aren’t.  they are just ugly and pests.   I’d be harvesting big time 😉. Sorry, I did not realize the French introduced them anywhere in North America.

22 hours ago, POA1 said:

Like many of you, I enjoy the occasional snail. Our local fishmonger stocks them. Would I base my vacation choice on the daily availability of snails, mollusks, bivalves and edible worms?

Probably not.

I think it's cool that Celebrity is "all escargot, all the time." I'll admit that it's not really my thing, but how cool must it be to open the Celebrity app and have it say,

*You've got snails! "

Talk about special!

Never developed a taste for those slimy shelled gastropods, but that's just moi 🥸

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Slightly O/T:  All snail species in UK are edible - if that's your thing.  😝

More than 60 years ago we'd have (peri)winkles on a Saturday evening for 'tea', sat by the coal fire listening to the radio, armed with a sewing needle to get the critters out of their shells.  Winkle sandwiches - yum, yum.  Nobody bothers with them now, but they were very tasty with a sprinkle of vinegar.  Definitely poor people's food then.  Oh, the good old days. (Not.) 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 3