Staying in Tokyo 1 night before Princess cruise starts. What is the best way to get from Haneda Airport to Tokyo?

gam888

We are flying into the Haneda Airport a day before our Princess cruise starts in Yokohama in August.. We are staying in a hotel for 1 night. We have not decided what district in Tokyo to stay yet, but we are thinking about the Ginza area. But the priority is the location. We plan to take a train or bus from the Haneda Airport to Tokyo. So it depends on which district has a train station that has a lot of hotels within walking distance or a short taxi ride once we get off the train. Also, it would be great if we don't need to change trains along the way. If anyone has a hotel suggestions, please let us know. We are looking for a clean hotel for 1 night. No need for an expensive fancy hotel. Again, the location is the priority. If it's close to walking distance to some attractions or subway station. It's a bonus if it's near the train station where we get off. Any suggestions on Toyko is welcome. There are two of us travelling. Thank you in advance.

Assuming that your flight arrives before 10pm and your want to take the train into Tokyo, I would look into staying near Tokyo station as that would be the most convenient location for getting to Yokohama then for your cruise as well.  The monorail will take you from Haneda to Tokyo station without having to transfer.  

• Like 1

FWIW we are low stress cruisers and booked an overnight package through Princess for $359 per person for our upcoming Princess cruise starting July 10 out of Yokohama. We fly into the Haneda Airport the day before and look for the Princess rep after going through Customs and picking up our baggage. Then they put us on a transfer bus to our hotel which is the Keio Plaza Hotel, which also has Princess Hospitality Desk, in the heart of Tokyo about 50 minutes from the airport. Then the next morning we get on the transfer bus again and head to the Yokohama port to board the Diamond which is about an hour away. Like I said, we’re low stress cruisers. 😁

• Like 1

This is what I did.  

We were "suppose" to arrive early evening from LAX to Narita.  Delayed.  Arrived around 6:30 PM.  By the time we made it through immigrations it was close to 8 PM.  With luggage in tow, we headed for the bus transfer to Yokohama.  Of course, by now, we missed the "frequent" bus service and had to wait for the next one...closer to 9 PM.  Got off the bus, walked to the other end of the bus terminal to get a taxi.  It was close to 11 PM by the time we got into the room.  

Fortunately, we had one FULL day in Yokohama.  Stayed at the Intercontinental Grand Hotel (Sheraton Yokohama would also have been a good choice).   Our ship was at the far port and had to take a long taxi ride out there.

It's probably is too late to make changes, but I would definitely do this again with 2 FULL days in Yokohama.  I may have been lucky with hotel accommodations since it was just the start of cruising again.  I would even do the bus again.  

As @Ken the cruiser mentioned, if you are just looking for a hotel for the night...do one near the airport.  

1 hour ago, katmu said:

The monorail will take you from Haneda to Tokyo station without having to transfer.

Sorry, but the monorail ends at Hamamatsucho station. You need to switch to one of JR line trains to get to Tokyo station there. If you do not have a ticket for JR line already, you need to go one floor down to buy a ticket, come back up to catch JR trains.

With that said, you can take Keikyu line's Airport Express trains that go to Keisei Takasago, and get off at Higashi-Ginza station (no transfer).

Or, take the monorail, switch to JR's Yamanote line at Hamamatsucho station, and get off at Yurakucho station. Be sure to exit from Ginza side of Yurakucho station, though.

Either way, it was 20-30 minutes line to buy either train ticket at Haneda Airport when I was there in April this year. 

24 minutes ago, ebeluga said:

@cr8tiv1 thank you for the hotel info in Yokohama. Booked intercontinental Grand.  I need to make the same trek there next April to embark.

You will love the Intercontinental Grand Yokohama.  It is part of the Holiday Inn/Crown Plaza brand...in case you have a membership (discount).  I had a lovely harbor view and could actually see both cruise ports.  Sort of (long) walking distance to near Yamashita Park port or free shuttle to the ship at Daikoku Pier from same park.

https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/reservation

Food can be found right next door at the Queen Plaza Shopping Center (huge).  Near train station.  From Haneda, there is a (for fee) direct bus from the airport to the hotel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

You will love the Intercontinental Grand Yokohama.  It is part of the Holiday Inn/Crown Plaza brand...

Actually, Holiday Inn & Crown Plaza are part of the Intercontinental Hotel Group (IHG). 😉

3 minutes ago, Kellyansapansa said:

The Airport Limousine Bus is an excellent option to get you from Haneda Airport to your accommodation in Tokyo. It is very efficient and reliable and you can pre-book or buy a ticket when you arrive.

https://webservice.limousinebus.co.jp/web/en/

I had very lengthy email exchanges with the limousine bus company.  

Pre-Book:  Guaranteed you a seat on the bus you reserved.  IF, you are held up in immigration/customs and the bus leaves, there is no refund AND can not apply it to the next bus.

Buy upon arrival:  Not guaranteed a seat.  Bus "could" be full.  First come, first served.

Everywhere in Japan, it was pretty much allowing 2 pieces of luggage (bus/taxi/etc) and a small carry on that would fit inside the vehicle.  They were not happy that I also had my CPAP machine. 

Bus runs "frequently" every 15 - 30 minutes up until 8 PM.  Designated locations, not drop offs here and there. Pretty comfortable and free wifi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I had very lengthy email exchanges with the limousine bus company.  

Pre-Book:  Guaranteed you a seat on the bus you reserved.  IF, you are held up in immigration/customs and the bus leaves, there is no refund AND can not apply it to the next bus.

Buy upon arrival:  Not guaranteed a seat.  Bus "could" be full.  First come, first served.

Everywhere in Japan, it was pretty much allowing 2 pieces of luggage (bus/taxi/etc) and a small carry on that would fit inside the vehicle.  They were not happy that I also had my CPAP machine. 

Bus runs "frequently" every 15 - 30 minutes up until 8 PM.  Designated locations, not drop offs here and there. Pretty comfortable and free wifi.

Can you pay with credit card on board the bus?

1 hour ago, ebeluga said:

Can you pay with credit card on board the bus?

There is a ticket counter way down by Starbucks.  Self kiosk or attendant.  You may use a foreign credit card or cash.  Very reasonable. Need a ticket from counter.

Some of this information is now out of date, but the core is still valid.  Hope it answers some of your questions. 

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for replying my post. It seems like the airport bus offers a direct route to Tokyo without having to transfer. Our flight is supposed to arrive in Haneda around 4pm. So I image we should be able to go through custom and pick up our bags by 5:30pm. But it was mentioned that if you pre-book and they don't offer a refund if the flight is delayed. If we take a chance of just purchasing the ticket without a reservation, if there is a good chance we can get on the bus without having to wait for the next one or the next 2 after that. 

Also, the International Grand Yokohama Hotel seems to be recommended. If we choose to stay there, how do we get into Tokyo the next day for a visit? We have a full day for sightseeing, as we do not need to start our cruise until the day after. So we were thinking perhaps we should get a hotel in Tokyo as opposed to in Yokohama so at least we are already in Tokyo and can start our sightseeing right the way the next morning. Does anyone have any hotel recommendation in Tokyo that is close to a train station, subway, or bus station from the Haneda airport bus? Thanks in advance.

I had my own "private/family" guide while in Yokohama.  Great to have family.  All I know is that there is a train station in the Queens Plaza.  It took us to the other transfer station near the Sheraton Yokohama. Which one provided a train to Tokyo?  My guess. both.   

It is. a toss up as to staying in Yokohama and going to Tokyo verse staying in Tokyo and trying to get to Yokohama with luggage on the train,  There are some restrictions to luggage on a train.  Do check it out.

Personally, I would set up shop in Yokohama.  Bus transfer to Yokohama hotel.  Leisurely evening.  All day trip to Tokyo.  Return to Yokohama for the night.  Refreshed for start of cruise.  Hotel was quite reasonable in Yokohama (Tokyo may be more expensive).

Then again, I had a friend spend a month in Japan.  Used luggage transfer from city to city.  Good luck.  Have an enjoyable time.  I wish I had schedule way more time in Japan pre/post cruise since it is so far away.

4 hours ago, gam888 said:

how do we get into Tokyo the next day for a visit?

From the hotel mentioned, the closest station is Minato Mirai, but you need to transfer at Yokohama station. I would take a taxi (about 5 min) to go directly to Yokohama station. About 30min train ride to stations near Ginza area. IMO it's better to take the Tokaido line (or Yokosuka line) and get off at Shimbashi station rather than the Keihin-Tohoku line which is a commuter line. It's about 0.5 mile to the center of Ginza area. 

23 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

FWIW we are low stress cruisers and booked an overnight package through Princess for $359 per person for our upcoming Princess cruise starting July 10 out of Yokohama. We fly into the Haneda Airport the day before and look for the Princess rep after going through Customs and picking up our baggage. Then they put us on a transfer bus to our hotel which is the Keio Plaza Hotel, which also has Princess Hospitality Desk, in the heart of Tokyo about 50 minutes from the airport. Then the next morning we get on the transfer bus again and head to the Yokohama port to board the Diamond which is about an hour away. Like I said, we’re low stress cruisers. 😁

Hi Ken, could you please tell us when you booked the Princess package hotel for $359 a night per person, does it include the transfer from Haneda Airport to the Keio Plaza Hotel in Tokyo, and after you checked out, the transfer from the hotel to Yokohama cruise terminal? I called Princess and the hotel rate is the same, but the agent could not verify if the rate includes the transfers. I spoke with 2 different agents, they both did not know the answer.  So if you can answer that question, would be very helpful. Thanks. I know we are paying a premium to book the hotel with Princess, but if it includes the 2 transfers, it might be worth it. Otherwise I might consider booking a less expensive hotel, and spend some money on a taxi transfer. Still doing our investigation right now. 

5 hours ago, Y21 said:

From the hotel mentioned, the closest station is Minato Mirai, but you need to transfer at Yokohama station. I would take a taxi (about 5 min) to go directly to Yokohama station. About 30min train ride to stations near Ginza area. IMO it's better to take the Tokaido line (or Yokosuka line) and get off at Shimbashi station rather than the Keihin-Tohoku line which is a commuter line. It's about 0.5 mile to the center of Ginza area. 

The Minato Mirai Station is part of the Minato Mirai Subway / Train Line.

4 times every hour a Minato Mirai Express Train stops at that station. If you take it, you will be in Shibuya in 24 minutes for less than 500 yen.

Also 4 times every hour, a Limited Express Train stops at the same station. if you take that one, you will be in Shibuya in 32 minutes for less than 500 yen.

In Shibuya, if you choose to remain on the same train, it continues to Shinjuku and Ikebukuro.

Last February we stayed at Hotel Century Southern Tower in the heart of Shinjuku. It was about a 3-minute walk to Shinjuku Station. There are lots of restaurants around the area. We took the limousine bus from Haneda airport and the hotel is one that they stop at - door-to-door service. We just bought the ticket at the airport upon arrival. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again if we ever go back to Tokyo.

• Like 1

We arrive at HND on a Monday late afternoon and are staying at the Hyatt Regency Yokohama, 1 night pre-cruise. With 2 carry-ons and 1 medium-large piece of luggage in tow...what is our best way from HND to the hotel?

If the before mentioned limousine/bus is the best way, which area do I pick to get on the correct route to the hotel? website- https://webservice.limousinebus.co.jp/web/en/

Does anyone know the cost of a taxi? I have heard it may be $60 USD. Are taxi's right outside the airport just like in the US?

Thank you-

After leaving baggage claim, you will enter the Arrivals Hall.

There you will see desks selling tickets for the Limousine Bus.

The Staff at the Desk speak English.

You tell them where you want to go.

They sell you the appropriate tickets and direct you to the bus stop just outside from the desk.

OR - your follow the signs to the Taxi Stand that is located across the street.

• Like 1