Princess Discovery

9tee2Sea

Sort of new to Princess Cruiseline ( 3 cruises so far).  Not doing any upgrades ( drink package/dining).  Is there anything I should not miss in the Main Dining Rooms, or other included restaurants?  I am hoping that we ( a party of 2) can just walk upto the MDR and ask for a table anytime ( I can't pin down a time I want to dine every night..sometimes its early, sometimes its later). I understand that we would have to wait for a table, or share a table.  Just want to know what are the " Do Not Miss" items while on Discovery.  Does not have to be about food. Just Do Not Miss............

We seldom eat in the buffet, even for breakfast or lunch and never for dinner, just not our thing.  However, the MDR suits us just fine.  The food is good to very good and we’re always satisfied.  We like a more elegant setting with tablecloths and nice dinnerware and being served by the lovely waitstaff, but that’s just us.

For breakfast and lunch, either the MDR or The International Cafe and the outdoor grill has some nice offerings, too.

We book our dining times prior to sailing (prefer a nice table for two by the window) at 7pm and have always managed to have our requests granted.  If you’re flexible for desired times to dine, you’ll probably not have an issue with long wait times.

Have a wonderful cruise onboard Discovery Princess!

1 hour ago, LawDog61 said:

The buffet is one of the best.  Huge selection.   On the Royal class ships we usually skip the MDR.

We love the Discovery's buffet.  We are light eaters and always eat our meals there.  We have never had a bad experience.

Gigi's Pizzeria is great (this is a restaurant on Deck 7, not to be confused with the place that serves pizza on the upper deck). 

Gigi's food is really good (loved the calzone) and that is a great option for embarkation day lunch.

• Like 1

Gigi's veal pasta is divine. Not to be missed.

In the MDRs:

Blue cheese souffle

Pumpkin walnut crepes

Any of the dessert souffles

Sorbets

Vietnamese spring rolls

Fettuccini Alfredo

Pasta arriabata, if the maitre'd does it fresh

Bread sticks

5 spice duck

Cruise Chips ice cream sandwich (kids menu - two warm cookies and vanilla ice cream. Sometimes they assemble itz sometimes you have to)

Indian dishes (off menu, if you enjoy Indian food, speak with the maitre'd and ask for the menu for the next night - fantastic dishes).

Pulled pork at the lido deck grill

4 cheese pizza slice from lido deck pizza

Ham and cheese croissant at International Cafe

Also, watermelon feta salad. Steak and Guinness pie. Muffaletta sandwich. Cookies

Peanut butter and jelly from room service. Surprisingly delicious at 2am after dancing all night

Sandia en Fuego and Cartagena Cool at Good Spirits. 

Lots to explore. Try new things. Enjoy!! 

• Like 2

Duck a l'orange, Princess after many many years has finally gotten it right, Goat cheese souffle, Mushroom soup, Wedge salad, orange souffle, Avacado and shrimp salad on boarding day, Grandma's Coq au vin, the pastas, Bananas Foster, Chateau Briand (on longer cruises), any crepes or flambéed type of desert, and last but not least the French bread dinner rolls! 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 10:32 AM, 9tee2Sea said:

Sort of new to Princess Cruiseline ( 3 cruises so far).  Not doing any upgrades ( drink package/dining).  Is there anything I should not miss in the Main Dining Rooms, or other included restaurants?  I am hoping that we ( a party of 2) can just walk upto the MDR and ask for a table anytime ( I can't pin down a time I want to dine every night..sometimes its early, sometimes its later). I understand that we would have to wait for a table, or share a table.  Just want to know what are the " Do Not Miss" items while on Discovery.  Does not have to be about food. Just Do Not Miss............

Yes, you can walk-up to a DR at dinner.  In fact, one of them may be designated mostly for that.  As long as you don't arrive in "prime time" earlier hours like 6pm, it shouldn't be much of a wait from reports.  You will always get seated faster if you accept or want a Sharing table instead of a Private table.  

Complete Princess newbie, Alaska cruise newbie, and I have 2 questions for the Discovery sailing from Seattle Sep 24 -

Arrival says Vancouver 4a October 1.  How long can we actually stay on the ship?  Surely we don't have to go out into the streets of Vancouver at 4 in the morning.

For this itinerary, does the Sea Day on 9/29 sail through Glacier Bay?  Surely it does, on a map Glacier Bay is just north/west of the Skagway and Juneau stops.

Wed, Sep 27 Juneau, AK 2:00pm 9:00pm
 Thu, Sep 28 Skagway, AK 7:00am 5:00pm
 Fri, Sep 29 At Sea    
 Sat, Sep 30 At Sea

8 hours ago, deltahog said:

Complete Princess newbie, Alaska cruise newbie, and I have 2 questions for the Discovery sailing from Seattle Sep 24 -

Arrival says Vancouver 4a October 1.  How long can we actually stay on the ship?  Surely we don't have to go out into the streets of Vancouver at 4 in the morning.

For this itinerary, does the Sea Day on 9/29 sail through Glacier Bay?  Surely it does, on a map Glacier Bay is just north/west of the Skagway and Juneau stops.

Wed, Sep 27 Juneau, AK 2:00pm 9:00pm
 Thu, Sep 28 Skagway, AK 7:00am 5:00pm
 Fri, Sep 29 At Sea    
 Sat, Sep 30 At Sea

I'm surprised some knowledgable people on this forum haven't answered you yet, so I'll just throw our my opinion with limited experience. I very much doubt you have to disembark that early, but my GUESS is by about 9;00.  I'm guessing, not that experienced.  I don't see Glacier Bay on your itinerary, just Endicott Arm on Wednesday. Even though it's close, I doubt they just swing by GB.  Again, hopefully more knowledgable people will respond to you.