Will a confiscated item be returned end of cruise?

anonymousegirl

Hi all,

First time on O and first time trying to bring a hair straightening iron on board. The O FAQ is ambiguous, saying flat irons are prohibited, which could refer to clothing irons, or hair straightening irons. So, I'm going to chance it and bring my hair iron in my carry-on next week. I won't cry buckets if it is confiscated, but I would like it back after the cruise. Anyone have any experience getting a confiscated item returned?

Thanks,

Lori

45 minutes ago, anonymousegirl said:

Hi all,

First time on O and first time trying to bring a hair straightening iron on board. The O FAQ is ambiguous, saying flat irons are prohibited, which could refer to clothing irons, or hair straightening irons. So, I'm going to chance it and bring my hair iron in my carry-on next week. I won't cry buckets if it is confiscated, but I would like it back after the cruise. Anyone have any experience getting a confiscated item returned?

Thanks,

Lori

DW says “no problem” (does it all the time).

During an Alaskan port stop J purchased an ulu knife, which was (unsurprisingly, in retrospect) on return to ship confiscated by security. J was provided with a signed receipt which, when presented to guest services, allowed for return of the item the night prior to disembarkation.

• Like 2

How about a heating pad with an automatic shutoff? I called before a recent cruise because it was really not clear on the website as I have cranky back at times. When I called they just said no, not allowed. Luckily I did not have a need for it but just curios if others have taken one or had issues trying to take one onboard. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2023 at 3:15 PM, EJL2023 said:

How about a heating pad with an automatic shutoff? I called before a recent cruise because it was really not clear on the website as I have cranky back at times. When I called they just said no, not allowed. Luckily I did not have a need for it but just curios if others have taken one or had issues trying to take one onboard. 

I brought a heating pad onboard with no problem. I didn't ask and they didn't refuse. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 6:10 PM, JDincalif said:

During an Alaskan port stop J purchased an ulu knife, which was (unsurprisingly, in retrospect) on return to ship confiscated by security. J was provided with a signed receipt which, when presented to guest services, allowed for return of the item the night prior to disembarkation.

That’s nice they were confident J had no intention of going on a rampage that last night on the cruise!! Probably figured you were too busy packing!!! Just kidding by the way. 🤣

Edited by EJL2023
  • Haha 1

On 7/1/2023 at 6:08 PM, grifdoglover said:

I bring a brush/iron everywhere but it does have auto shutoff…

On 7/1/2023 at 6:15 PM, EJL2023 said:

How about a heating pad with an automatic shutoff?

"Auto shutoff" on a heating device, of any sort, is the most frequently failed part of the appliance.

• Like 1