Vegetarians at Cagney's

phillygwm

I'm traveling with my niece and her bf.  She's vegetarian (though not vegan,) the bf and I are decidedly not.  

I think I read here some time ago that she won't be left to a meal of appetizers and sides and that (with notice) they'll whip something up that's veg.  Does anyone have recent experience with that?  Given the other cost cutting measures, I wanted to make sure she'll still find something to enjoy, because bf and I are getting steak every night 🙂

3 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

This might be helpful

Thanks.  Not sure how I overlooked that.  I know there were threads that were more dated and my concern was that NCL changed things around subsequently, but April is great.

My niece is an animal lover, so she basically skips anything that had eyes...but pretty much anything else is fair game.  She eats dairy and eggs.  I'm not sure she knows what rennet is and I'm not going to enlighten her 🙂

• Haha 1

If you're traveling on a ship with Moderno sharing the aft area with Cagney's, I believe they may allow her to travel to Moderno's salad bar. That has been reported by others. Not sure it's still accurate with all the cutbacks, but a possibility that would make her happy. Can a vegetarian be happy? 🙂

On 7/2/2023 at 4:46 PM, phillygwm said:

so she basically skips anything that had eyes...but pretty much anything else is fair game.  She eats dairy and eggs.  I'm not sure she knows what rennet is and I'm not going to enlighten her 🙂

I don't eat any meat, fish or eggs, and I do just fine.  At Cagneys specifically, I start with the Wedge Salad or Caesar sans anchovies, and then I've always been able to create a dish, typically with the Risotto as my main and then broccoli, zucchini. Sometimes I have done the potatoes. It really is so much food and I always feel taken care of (19 NCL cruises and always do Cagneys atleast once, hubs is DECIDEDLY NOT a vegetarian as well.) 

Your Berks County neighbor 🙂

(pre Covid) I've requested a veg dish in advance and got a mediocre tofu dish. So usually I eat the sides so it's still the steak house feel - wedge salad no bacon, baked potato with toppings, onion rings, creamed spinach, mushrooms. I oddly look forward to that meal. The ambiance is still nice and the giant glasses of a good red wine help!

• Like 1

My wife is a vegetarian. She actually loves steakhouses because she tends to love their sides. When we did Cagney's last year my wife ordered her sides & appetizers, and my daughter (13, who seems to be mostly carnivorous) ate her steak. The other two boys (12 & 16)  always eat off the kids menu by choice (good for me since I don't have to buy them a meal plan!)

While I guess you're not supposed to share the waiter didn't seem to mind. No use letting the poor cow die for nothing.

• Thanks 1

Hubby is 100% carnivore and I am pescatarian.  We dined at Moderno, with me informing the server that I would just be partaking of the salad bar.  To my delight, he offered to have a salmon entree prepared for me from Cagney's. NCL is very accommodating.

14 minutes ago, slavetoabunny said:

Hubby is 100% carnivore and I am pescatarian.  We dined at Moderno, with me informing the server that I would just be partaking of the salad bar.  To my delight, he offered to have a salmon entree prepared for me from Cagney's. NCL is very accommodating.

That's awesome!! I'm trying Moderno

for the first time soon, just for the salad bar. I don't eat fish but I love that they were so accommodating for you!

On 7/7/2023 at 8:10 PM, Monica887 said:

That's awesome!! I'm trying Moderno

for the first time soon, just for the salad bar. I don't eat fish but I love that they were so accommodating for you!

I love Moderno, though it isn't on the newer ships.  The salad bar is amazing and they have this grilled pineapple which is possibly my favorite thing anywhere.  The meats aren't great compared to Cagney's but it's more of a "whole package."

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

I love Moderno, though it isn't on the newer ships.  The salad bar is amazing and they have this grilled pineapple which is possibly my favorite thing anywhere.  The meats aren't great compared to Cagney's but it's more of a "whole package."

My wife is a vegetarian, as well, she always finds yummy sides at Cagney's to eat while I feast on the meats... 🙂