Rudi's Wiener Schnitzel still on the menu?

POA1

I've been watching as people post MDR menus. Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall seeing the schnitzel lately. It's pork that's been pounded, breaded and fried, so it's not a dish with expensive, exotic ingredients. (True, it's not usually served with spätzle in the MDR, but I'm pretty sure you need a gaggle of German grandmothers to make the little noodles in large quantities.) However, even though it's spätzless,it's still a favorite at our table.

Is it still on the MDR menu, or should I start seeking grief counseling now?

Edited by POA1

No need for counseling POA! I"m on the Westerdam in 60 days, have the app on my phone and look at the menus daily. The schnitzel is there on the menu for tonight (day 3) with home-fried potatoes, lingonberry compote, asparagus and carrots. 

Karen

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Wiener schnitzel is "veal", I think schnitzel could be pork or chicken. It's the Wiener part that would suggest veal. Just as a "Jagarschnitzel" (hunter schnitzel) is served with a mushroom gravy.

I hope it shows up on our 11 day cruise at the end of August, I would definitely order it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My mom was a great cook and no matter how she tried to make spatzle it was an epic fail according to her and she tired to learn it from my German grandmother 😛.  Frankly I don’t ever remember her trying to make it but maybe it was before my time.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Wiener schnitzel is "veal", I think schnitzel could be pork or chicken. It's the Wiener part that would suggest veal. Just as a "Jagarschnitzel" (hunter schnitzel) is served with a mushroom gravy.

I hope it shows up on our 11 day cruise at the end of August, I would definitely order it.

True - Austrian law requires it. It has to be veal to be considered Wiener Schnitzel. This is their Geographic Indicator.  In Austria, I have seen both pork and chicken on the menu with the more generic “schnitzel”. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

My mom was a great cook and no matter how she tried to make spatzle it was an epic fail according to her and she tired to learn it from my German grandmother 😛.  Frankly I don’t ever remember her trying to make it but maybe it was before my time.

Schnitzel is one of our favorite meals when cruising,  but spatzle is almost never offered as a side dish. Might be hard to make for hundreds at a time. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Schnitzel is one of our favorite meals when cruising,  but spatzle is almost never offered as a side dish. Might be hard to make for hundreds at a time. 

I want to say at one time spatzle was offered as a side at one time.  Not sure if it was the schnitzel or something else.  I’m talking 15 or 20 years ago though.

Agree on the technical aspects of the Vienna Schnitzel, but I'm pretty sure that the HAL version was pork. Delicious regardless. It's not a sophisticated dish, but I have a hard time looking at the other menu items when schnitzel shows up.

We've been places that had spätzle for hundreds of people. Of course those places were Oktoberfests and had the requisite German ladies in the kitchen cranking it out.

• Like 4

Spaetzle is actually fairly simple to make, the key is the consistency of the batter (yes batter) it is much easier with a Spaetzle maker. I am blown away by the true masters who use a spatula and board to flick the batter into the water.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, erdufylla said:

Man, now you guys are making me hungry...

Me too!  I've never had it and now I will for sure on Zuiderdam next May!  I love red cabbage, but lingonberry jam will be acceptable!!  

😊

~Nancy

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Me too!  I've never had it and now I will for sure on Zuiderdam next May!  I love red cabbage, but lingonberry jam will be acceptable!!  

😊

~Nancy

It's never too late to start the, "Can I take a jar of red cabbage on board?" Don't forget to ask if it has to go in your carryon luggage. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, POA1 said:

It's never too late to start the, "Can I take a jar of red cabbage on board?" Don't forget to ask if it has to go in your carryon luggage. 😉

I buy my red cabbage in foil bags, I buy my sauerkraut that way too. The problem is how are you going to heat it up😉.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Just as long as it’s not in a plastic bottle! 😂

51 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I buy my red cabbage in foil bags, I buy my sauerkraut that way too. The problem is how are you going to heat it up😉.

These are precisely the types of questions that keep me from falling asleep at night. My first thought is sous vide. The actual cooker probably wouldn’t take up *that* much extra space in your suitcase. Not sure what to do about the water bath container… maybe something collapsible? I’ve also seen someone make a grilled cheese sandwich with a flat iron / hair straightener, which might work with a foil pack. Easier to pack, but it sounds riskier. 

Edited to add: Upon further thought, this presupposes that you want to eat your heated red cabbage / sauerkraut in your room. And if you’ve got room service coming, I suppose that’s fine. A little weirder if it’s the only thing you’re planning on eating, but I don’t judge. But what if you wanted to take it to the MDR or another restaurant to enjoy with your meal there? Could you scoop it into a thermos to keep it warm and take it with you? You’d probably get some odd looks, but I can’t imagine it’d be against any particular rules.

I now feel like someone needs to try this and report back.

Edited by erdufylla
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, erdufylla said:

These are precisely the types of questions that keep me from falling asleep at night. My first thought is sous vide. The actual cooker probably wouldn’t take up *that* much extra space in your suitcase. Not sure what to do about the water bath container… maybe something collapsible? I’ve also seen someone make a grilled cheese sandwich with a flat iron / hair straightener, which might work with a foil pack. Easier to pack, but it sounds riskier. 

You could ask for kettle for your room and use the ice bucket for the water bath. Empty it out every couple of minutes and just keep putting boiling water in. That way the ship is supplying the heat source and it won't be a loss to you if they confiscate it. Of course they may take your kettle back and probably scold you. I don't think it would be a fire hazard unless you put the foil bag in the kettle🥺

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, erdufylla said:

Edited to add: Upon further thought, this presupposes that you want to eat your heated red cabbage / sauerkraut in your room. And if you’ve got room service coming, I suppose that’s fine. A little weirder if it’s the only thing you’re planning on eating, but I don’t judge. But what if you wanted to take it to the MDR or another restaurant to enjoy with your meal there? Could you scoop it into a thermos to keep it warm and take it with you? You’d probably get some odd looks, but I can’t imagine it’d be against any particular rules.

I now feel like someone needs to try this and report back.

I nominate you, be bold, give it a shot😁.

• Like 1

I know they used to have series A & B menus on the 7 day Caribbean sailings. That way, people doing Collectors Edition or B2B didn't have repeated menus. Hopefully the Eastern Caribbean rates the menu mit das Schnitzel.

• Like 2

I've seen it and always considered getting then something else would strike my taste buds, so yet to try it. For sure, I'm trying it next time I see it. I'm committed to simply stopping at the point I see it and looking no further down the menu.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, POA1 said:

I feel like that's directed at me and all the other "how do we take on our liquid coffee creamer" posters, lol. 🫣 You know I'm taking some for cabin use when I'm not "snacky" enough for GDC. 🤭

Thank goodness I'm not a red cabbage fan so that's one less thing I have to make room for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1