Rudi's Wiener Schnitzel still on the menu?

POA1

10 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

I feel like that's directed at me and all the other "how do we take on our liquid coffee creamer" posters, lol. 🫣 You know I'm taking some for cabin use when I'm not "snacky" enough for GDC. 🤭

Thank goodness I'm not a red cabbage fan so that's one less thing I have to make room for.

Not aimed at anyone at all. It was more of an observation about how things sometimes go here.

I was initially worried that I was going to find out the the schnitzel was kaput because no one but me liked it.

7 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I'm in an all day offsite for work today (ugggg) but one upside was that we had veal cutlet, red cabbage and saurkraut for lunch.  They must have heard us talking.

Feeding fermented cabbage products to people in a meeting is pretty brave.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I'm in an all day offsite for work today (ugggg) but one upside was that we had veal cutlet, red cabbage and saurkraut for lunch.  They must have heard us talking.

That's like when I'm having a conversation w/someone about XX then get an ad for XX on my phone.

Big Brother is always listening...lol.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

All good - was supposed to be funny, but clearly fell flat.

Not you. I just had a long day and was worried I offended you.

• Like 1

I had veal cutlets for a late lunch today. I enjoyed it very much, of course it would have been much better had they pounded it thin (hence cutlet not schnitzel), it was served with mashed potatoes and a rich brown gravy with onions and mushrooms. The best part was that they grilled it on a flat top not deep fried. Coincidently I happened to see an old friend I knew years ago at the local German Club, that woman knew how to make schnitzel.

• Like 1

It is one of my favorites on Holland America.  I order it almost every time it offered.  First photo from the Volendam with a mushroom sauce and the second was on the Nieuw Statendam on our NS balcony.  I am hungry now.  

IMG_20230216_174259152.jpg

IMG_20220227_164214911.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

Well now I will have to go to Rudi's at least a couple of times!  

I love the Dover Sole and now will want to try the Wiener schnitzel and who know what else.😄

The schnitzel is a main dining room item. The Dover Sole is on the Sel de Mer menu. (And all the cool kids are ordering it.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

The schnitzel is a main dining room item. The Dover Sole is on the Sel de Mer menu. (And all the cool kids are ordering it.)

I know people rave about the dover sole but I found it to be so so.  I feel it's more the "show" that people like about it.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2023 at 2:25 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

I know people rave about the dover sole but I found it to be so so.  I feel it's more the "show" that people like about it.

Never had a so so Dover Sole.  All of mine have been on Celebrity till this past March on Rotterdam.  It is interesting to watch them filet it to table side.  

Edited by shipshape sam

On 7/6/2023 at 11:25 AM, Florida_gal_50 said:

You may have been unlucky with it.  The sole must be tricky to prepare.  I order it a lot and it’s about 50-50 whether it will meet expectations.  When it’s done right, it’s seriously delicious — for one who enjoys seafood.  Kind of expensive to take a chance, though.  DH says I’ll never learn. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

You may have been unlucky with it.  The sole must be tricky to prepare.  I order it a lot and it’s about 50-50 whether it will meet expectations.  When it’s done right, it’s seriously delicious — for one who enjoys seafood.  Kind of expensive to take a chance, though.  DH says I’ll never learn. 🤷‍♀️

I’ve found sel de mer fish to be much better than the Dover sole with the exception of the mahi mahi.  The Dover sole wasn’t seasoned properly and it was very bland.  I guess if people go for that they hit the mark. I do prefer fish and chicken over beef.

• Like 1

I have fish for dinner  probably 5 nights a week.  In my opinion, the dover sole in Rudi's is top shelf.  Yes, there is the show and all that, but the fish is fresh and light, just as it should be. I cook it frequently at home, but without that fun flair in the restarant lol.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2023 at 7:29 PM, Blackduck59 said:

Wiener schnitzel is "veal", I think schnitzel could be pork or chicken. It's the Wiener part that would suggest veal. Just as a "Jagarschnitzel" (hunter schnitzel) is served with a mushroom gravy.

I hope it shows up on our 11 day cruise at the end of August, I would definitely order it.

While Wiener Schnitzel is veal in the real world, on HAL it is port (a lot cheaper than veal).  That being said, when we were on the Westerdam from March-May, it was served more than once and was quite good.  I imagine if HAL now puts real veal on the menu there will be some kind of add-on such as $19.95 + 18%.  DW, who is my personal chef, often uses thin port cutlets in place of veal.  For us it is not so much a matter of cost, but of quality.  Where we live, finding high quality veal in our normal supermarket is not going to happen.  We would need to go to a decent butcher (which can be found in some of our "farmers markets" or drive some distance to a Wegman's.

Hank

2 hours ago, albingirl said:

I have fish for dinner  probably 5 nights a week.  In my opinion, the dover sole in Rudi's is top shelf.  Yes, there is the show and all that, but the fish is fresh and light, just as it should be. I cook it frequently at home, but without that fun flair in the restarant lol.

I think some people just prefer the denser types of fish -- like halibut.  I always prefer the lighter, more delicate types of fish and agree, the Dover sole in Rudi's is as good as it gets in that category -- buttery and crisped around the edges.  Wish I had a cruise planned on a Pinnacle-class ship to enjoy a Rudi's dinner.  Will have to make do with some of that excellent schnitzel.  😉 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

I think some people just prefer the denser types of fish -- like halibut.  I always prefer the lighter, more delicate types of fish and agree, the Dover sole in Rudi's is as good as it gets in that category -- buttery and crisped around the edges.  Wish I had a cruise planned on a Pinnacle-class ship to enjoy a Rudi's dinner.  Will have to make do with some of that excellent schnitzel.  😉 

I actually like sole quite a bit but when I can make it at home better than a chef that's a no for me.  The halibut was very good in club orange but it's not good in the pinnacle.  It's easy to not cook fish well I feel.

Can I just say, once again, how glad I am that so many people find the schnitzel to be spektakulär. The Dover sole discussion is a bonus. That's one of my two choices for Rudi's. The other is the Tournadoes Rossini. I'm leaning toward the fish. DW is all in on the lamb.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I've found the lobster amazing when it's the 12 Oz tail. 

And people say it's caribbean lobster like that's a negative.  I've had caribbean lobster, in the caribbean of course, and I find it delicious!! Lobster from Maine, from Canada, from Caribbean, all good.

• Like 1