Viking Saturn—Bergen to Reykjavik-July 5-July 19

LindaS272

4 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Beautiful!  Where were the videos made?

On that hike in town up to the Fjord center. There’s a photo of the waterfall above the town, and I think that is the one that feeds the cataract down to the harbor. I’ll post the part of the stylized map that shows the “waterfall” trail to the fjord center.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

On that hike in town up to the Fjord center. There’s a photo of the waterfall above the town, and I think that is the one that feeds the cataract down to the harbor. I’ll post the part of the stylized map that shows the “waterfall” trail to the fjord center.

These photos and videos are stunning! Thank you for sharing with those of us following along. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Thanks! How long a hike is it? Hard?

Great photos and videos at Geiranger! Loved that stop when we did it in 2018 or ‘19 or something. We also were fortunate to be at the dock. Different cruise line. Vivid, beautiful memories. Thank you, Linda!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Thanks! How long a hike is it? Hard?

Dear Clay,

You will need to leave some things to exploration and adventure! 😎. We just meandered, found the TI map and set out. But I did give you a clue with 381 steps! If I can do it, being out of shape, you guys can do it…..🧗

• Like 1

Just an FYI received from the State Department today (we are signed up for their traveler's notifications)

Seismic Alert:  U.S. Embassy Reykjavik, Iceland (July 10, 2023)

Event:  Since July 4, more than 9,300 earthquakes associated with the movement of volcanic magma have been detected between Fagradalsfjall and Keilir on the Reykjanes peninsula southwest of Reykjavik and southeast of Keflavik.  Flight operations at Keflavik International Airport have not been affected.

Icelandic authorities advised people to stay away from mountains and slopes in the area around Keilir, Fagradalsfjall and Kleifarvatn due to danger of rockfall and landslides.  The National Police Commissioner elevated the Civil Protection service level to ensure close monitoring and evaluate preparedness.  

The forecast of the Icelandic Meteorological Office noted earthquakes could decrease without magma reaching the surface, or magma could reach the surface anywhere in the region between Fagradalsfjall and Keilir.  A volcanic eruption occurring within days or weeks is considered "more likely,” according to the office.

Actions to Take:

·         Avoid steep slopes or rocky cliffs in the area.

·         Follow the latest alerts on https://safetravel.is/

·         Monitor geologic forecasts and earthquake activity at: https://en.vedur.is/

·         Follow recommendations by Icelandic Police, Icelandic Civil Defense (also at https://www.facebook.com/Almannavarnir/) and other authorities.

·         Monitor local media outlets for updates (including online English language news outlet RUV (also at https://www.facebook.com/ruvenglish)

·         Be aware of your surroundings.

Assistance 

U.S. Embassy Reykjavik, Iceland 

+354-595-2248 (after hours)

ReykjavikConsular@state.gov

https://is.usembassy.gov/

·         State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444 

·         Iceland Country Information  

·         Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.

·         Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

The eruption has started.  I've got links on my post in our rollcall if any of you are interested:

Clay when do you leave for your cruise?. Active volcano will be part of the mix.!

Linda and Dave -

Have been out of pocket this week entertaining visiting guest at home.

Going through all at once all your pictures now.  They are absolutely fabulous.  I'm so glad that you've had such wonderful weather as well.  And that included tour with incredible views sounds like a winner.  Since we'll be doing this exact cruise next June, I'm taking notes down!

Things sound like they are going quite well.  Any other comments on ship life itself onboard (other than the excursions) ?   Food?  Performances?  Lectures?

Kent

• Like 1

On 7/8/2023 at 7:13 AM, Peregrina651 said:

Don't blame it on the ship! It is the location and the geography that is causing the problem, not the ship's equipment. The best equipment in the world cannot process a signal that is not reaching the ship -- and that is what happens in the higher latitudes.

Yes, that is what I thought as well.

However, the quite good experience with wifi that we had with Viking Venus in July last year on our trip all the way up to the North Cape of Norway (very good), makes me wonder why the Saturn wasn't so good.  North Cape is further north than when the Saturn was in New York, Halifax, and Iceland (where wifi was basically non-existent).  

Different networks of some sort?  (Not a network guy).

1 hour ago, SJD117 said:

It’s 74 degrees F in Tromso, Norway. The further north we go, the warmer it gets!

IMG_3201.thumb.jpeg.f4a29abb194f79da2b4d7dee9499662c.jpegIMG_3191.thumb.jpeg.96137d6228b34be95d5b5bbf965f5917.jpegIMG_3187.thumb.jpeg.443302163da9761a50cd1b995251c7aa.jpeg

I am rethinking my packing for the cruise after yours....be sure and let us know how cold it is in Longyearbyen- I'm planning on bringing my packable puffer jacket but if a flannel hoodie and windbreaker will be warm enough while out on a boat, I would love to leave the puffy one behind.  Worried about wind and cold. 

16 hours ago, Azulann said:

Yea!🎉 hope the volcano  blow any ash in the opposite direction of your flight path ! 

I hiked this area (the related Fagradalsfjall eruption) in 2021. Unlikely to be any disruption to flights as this Reykjanes system is a lava producer with minimal ash. Main concern with wind direction will be toxic gas so the authorities may have some controls in place for tourists and excursions.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SJD117 said:

It’s 74 degrees F in Tromso, Norway. The further north we go, the warmer it gets!

IMG_3201.thumb.jpeg.f4a29abb194f79da2b4d7dee9499662c.jpegIMG_3191.thumb.jpeg.96137d6228b34be95d5b5bbf965f5917.jpegIMG_3187.thumb.jpeg.443302163da9761a50cd1b995251c7aa.jpeg

Same thing happened on our trip up the Norwegian coast last summer. T-shirt weather at the North Cape!  Global warming? (Not a question, just a snarky comment).