Viking Saturn—Bergen to Reykjavik-July 5-July 19

LindaS272

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

LindaS272 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Saw Matt, asst. cruise director in WC after boarding this evening. (Our third time with him as asst. CD). He was with Verity Brown as CD on the Sea last year on our TA. He said Verity left today!!!!! Went to the Neptune. 

Stay tuned—I don’t yet know the new CD.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Saw Matt, asst. cruise director in WC after boarding this evening. (Our third time with him as asst. CD). He was with Verity Brown as CD on the Sea last year on our TA. He said Verity left today!!!!! Went to the Neptune. 

Stay tuned—I don’t yet know the new CD.

Welcome aboard!

Well crap, was hoping to finally meet (and hear) the famous Ms. Brown when we board in 2 weeks. After that many cruises as an assistant surprised he isn't the Director. 

6 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Welcome aboard!

Well crap, was hoping to finally meet (and hear) the famous Ms. Brown when we board in 2 weeks. After that many cruises as an assistant surprised he isn't the Director. 

Okay—just learned who the new CD is—but only for the next two weeks. Matt claimed that Verity went to the Neptune—but our new CD—the infamous Heather Clancy!—said Verity will be back in two weeks. Heather said Verity went home to French Polynesia to see her husband before his next 8 month rotation (I think he’s a doctor…?). I’ll collar Matt tomorrow to see where the discrepancy is!

Heard a wonderful violinist this evening—a destination performance by Tor Jaran Apold in “Norwegian Songbook—The Unforgettable Music of My Childhood.” Several Edvard Grieg numbers.

Edited by LindaS272
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, LindaS272 said:

Okay—just learned who the new CD is—but only for the next two weeks. Matt claimed that Verity went to the Neptune—but our new CD—the infamous Heather Clancy!—said Verity will be back in two weeks. Heather said Verity went home to French Polynesia to see her husband before his next 8 month rotation (I think he’s a doctor…?). I’ll collar Matt tomorrow to see where the discrepancy is!

Linda - we absolutely loved Heather Clancy, who we had on the Jupiter for South America.  Enjoy!  She has quite a voice (opera singer).    Send us a picture of the officers.  Then can see who is still there from our cruise.  Thanks!  Enjoy!

17 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Heard a wonderful violinist this evening—a destination performance by Tor Jaran Apold in “Norwegian Songbook—The Unforgettable Music of My Childhood.” Several Edvard Grieg numbers.

Well I wouldn't mind sailing with her either so sounds like I'll be happy with the CD. Now if I can just convince the chef that they need to bring back the pistachio raisin buns to the Living Room😂

IMG_5007.webp

• Like 5

Linda, thanks for posting. We are sailing on an Iceland and Greenland cruise later this summer. I’m curious what kinds of clothes you brought for wearing on the ship, especially since the weather is much cooler than our typical summer weather. Enjoy the cruise! Thanks. 

5 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

He’s marvelous! Love the destination performances.

5 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

but our new CD—the infamous Heather Clancy!

Bon Voyage Linda!  We had Heather as CD for nearly five months on the 2019 WC and I must say, she is a bit much.  Just not our fav.  Beautiful voice, but so condescending.  Hopefully she has changed!

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

Bon Voyage Linda!  We had Heather as CD for nearly five months on the 2019 WC and I must say, she is a bit much.  Just not our fav.  Beautiful voice, but so condescending.  Hopefully she has changed!

Each to his own!  We had her 17 days in South America.  Perfect amount.  But I could see where more than that might be a bit over the top.  We got along fine but others really disliked her.  I guess people either enjoyed her or hated her.  No in between!!

15 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Each to his own!  We had her 17 days in South America.  Perfect amount.  But I could see where more than that might be a bit over the top.  We got along fine but others really disliked her.  I guess people either enjoyed her or hated her.  No in between!!

9 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Well, that’s why Linda called her the infamous Heather Clancy.  Many loved her and many hated her.  There was no middle ground as you say.  

Wasn’t sure who she was so I Goggled her. She did an interview with Forbes in 2019.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lauramanske/2019/09/29/the-secret-inspired-life-of-a-cruise-ship-director/amp/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

Well, that’s why Linda called her the infamous Heather Clancy.  Many loved her and many hated her.  There was no middle ground as you say.  

Not really, Christine. I don’t know her—I just remember many folk raving about her from the WC in 2019. I actually don’t remember negative raving—but we’ll see what transpires on our cruise!

8 hours ago, CarpeDiem2 said:

Linda, thanks for posting. We are sailing on an Iceland and Greenland cruise later this summer. I’m curious what kinds of clothes you brought for wearing on the ship, especially since the weather is much cooler than our typical summer weather. Enjoy the cruise! Thanks. 

Ship wear is the same for me for most climates (except SE Asia). But for excursions I brought jeans, rain pants, rain jacket, wool hat/scarf/gloves. Did not bring a wool sweater—will just do long sleeved shirt/fleece jacket/rain jacket for layers if wet & blustery. Also rain/sun hat.

35 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Ship wear is the same for me for most climates (except SE Asia). But for excursions I brought jeans, rain pants, rain jacket, wool hat/scarf/gloves. Did not bring a wool sweater—will just do long sleeved shirt/fleece jacket/rain jacket for layers if wet & blustery. Also rain/sun hat.

Thank you. That’s pretty much what I am thinking, but also waterproof shoes. As the cruise goes on I’d be curious if there are any items of clothing, etc. you wish you had brought onboard. It’s a tough cruise to pack for with the weather in Iceland contrasted with the warmer temperatures in Canada. Layers! 
Have a wonderful time. 

20 hours ago, CarpeDiem2 said:

Thank you. That’s pretty much what I am thinking, but also waterproof shoes. As the cruise goes on I’d be curious if there are any items of clothing, etc. you wish you had brought onboard. It’s a tough cruise to pack for with the weather in Iceland contrasted with the warmer temperatures in Canada. Layers! 
Have a wonderful time. 

Yes—have waterproof hiking shoes as well as tennis shoes for the dry walks.

• Like 2

Don’t know if the bow cam is related to the pissy wi-fi connection—but maybe. I have a few pics to offer from our very fine touring at Geirangerfjord today, but can’t get the thread to open on my phone where said pictures reside. Anon.