Viking Saturn—Bergen to Reykjavik-July 5-July 19

LindaS272

8 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

That said. Last night Heather Clancy, CD, did a show and hit it out if the park (& I’m not a baseball fan). Opera, blues, gospel, general torch singing. She was fabulous! Sorry those boarding on July 19 will miss her since she was a fill-in between other CDs. The band was great, too—keyboardist and the two electric guitars. She gave them a run for their money. I gave her a high five afterwards 🥳

She does put on a great show and is quite talented, regardless of what people think of her personality.  (People either like or dislike her - nothing in between was our experience). We enjoyed her.

Our very first Viking cruise director.She is the standard we have judged others by since..

We rated her very highly ,a great performer.

A niece of the Clancy Brothers I believe.

Edited by sugarside
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, sugarside said:

Our very first Viking cruise director.She is the standard we have judged others by since..

We rated her very highly ,a great performer.

A niece of the Clancy Brothers I believe.

We asked Heather about her family connections. She said the Clancy Brothers (all deceased) were her great-uncles.

• Like 1

It’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood. Just sailing out of Isafjordur at the moment—cool in the shade but brilliant sun. This morning at Vigur Island—100,000 puffins—French research guide w/eider chick who thinks he is his daddy.IMG_4121.thumb.jpeg.7f9613aeecf17adee7f6cd3af2d8be9b.jpegIMG_4102.thumb.jpeg.03759f5a6825938482ea34eadd0754ed.jpegIMG_4103.thumb.jpeg.7b3ad23bcfb40c2a58cedc06a3cde772.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Twitchly said:

That is both incredibly sweet and sad. Poor little thing. Did the guide say how they deal with such situations? Can it ever be a wild bird?

They probably watch it waddle back over to where it's mother is.

It was an orphan. The guide took it out of the incubator the day before and cooed at it & gave the little guy a pep talk. Then he described that you toss the chick into the water and a momma duck will adopt it. Only it didn’t take somehow with this guy, and he waddled back to the guide. The guide took him back to the incubator after we were done and said they were going to have to figure out how to get him adopted!

• Like 5

We’re sitting contentedly in Iceland’s famed Fridheimar tomato restaurant. Our man here is slicing incredibly good bread to go with the greenhouse tomatoes behind him. 

And one more waterfall picture for good measure, taken yesterday in Iceland’s Westfjords.

IMG_3494.thumb.jpeg.39ae9d88da777b5fc8deaf6859d710f8.jpegIMG_3479.thumb.jpeg.a8e385579b8b4f5385342c2b6bda6bc8.jpeg

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

We’re sitting contentedly in Iceland’s famed Fridheimar tomato restaurant. Our man here is slicing incredibly good bread to go with the greenhouse tomatoes behind him. 

And one more waterfall picture for good measure, taken yesterday in Iceland’s Westfjords.

IMG_3494.thumb.jpeg.39ae9d88da777b5fc8deaf6859d710f8.jpegIMG_3479.thumb.jpeg.a8e385579b8b4f5385342c2b6bda6bc8.jpeg

Is that olive bread? Yum. And thanks for the good measure as well! Waterfalls are an endless fascination.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Is that olive bread? Yum. And thanks for the good measure as well! Waterfalls are an endless fascination.

There were two versions, plain and olive. Unfortunately I just have the plain recipe, courtesy of a postcard Linda bought. (!) By popular demand (actually no demand at all) here’s the recipe.

Fridheimar Bread (by Chef Jon K.B. Sigfusson)

2kg flour

1.5 tbs dry yeast

1.5 tbs sugar

1.5 tbs salt

1 liter warm water

All kneaded together and left to double in size. Punch down the dough and form into sticks or loaves. You can cover the bread with different types of seeds, cheese or cinnamon sugar. Leave to double in size and bake in a damp oben 210 degrees C (400 degrees F) until golden brown.

Bon appetit!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The waterfall info from Wiki:

Dynjandi is a waterfall located in Arnarfjörður in the Westfjords region of Iceland. It is the largest waterfall in the Westfjords and has a total height of 100 metres. Below it are five other waterfalls: Háifoss, Úðafoss, Göngufoss, Hundafoss and Bæjarfoss.

• Like 2

Dave - hoping you and Linda have very nice flights home from Iceland.

I just want to thank you for all the wonderful and informative posts you've done!

Hope to see you both in Seattle (Bainbridge) some day soon!

Kent

• Like 3

20 hours ago, SJD117 said:

There were two versions, plain and olive. Unfortunately I just have the plain recipe, courtesy of a postcard Linda bought. (!) By popular demand (actually no demand at all) here’s the recipe.

Fridheimar Bread (by Chef Jon K.B. Sigfusson)

2kg flour

1.5 tbs dry yeast

1.5 tbs sugar

1.5 tbs salt

1 liter warm water

All kneaded together and left to double in size. Punch down the dough and form into sticks or loaves. You can cover the bread with different types of seeds, cheese or cinnamon sugar. Leave to double in size and bake in a damp oben 210 degrees C (400 degrees F) until golden brown.

Bon appetit!

That's a very low hydration dough, I would expect it to be like a bagel once baked - and to require a lot of kneading!

17 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Dave - hoping you and Linda have very nice flights home from Iceland.

I just want to thank you for all the wonderful and informative posts you've done!

Hope to see you both in Seattle (Bainbridge) some day soon!

Kent

Thanks for your kind words, Kent! Linda and I had a great time in Norway and Iceland. We highly recommend the itinerary — you and Pam will have a fabulous trip next year! Let us know by email if you have specific questions about any part of what we did.

• 2 weeks later...

We enjoyed our five days in the West and Westfjords. Snaefellenes is different than the rest of Iceland round the ring road. More farms, interesting cliffside ocean paths, a few waterfalls and—swans! Several sites about early settlement, including a ninth century well with a whale bone that was uncovered in the late 20th century,

Westfjords is quite remote—lots of cliffside unpaved roads. They make it worth your while though with the Sea Monster Museum & the Witches & Sorcery Museum (history of witch burnings in the late 1600s & best fish soup in Iceland. Will post pictures on our thread.

Snaeffellesnes and the Westfjords

IMG_4168.thumb.jpeg.e3093b7df507b7d7838d114afdcdae1a.jpegIMG_4179.thumb.jpeg.4f184eeb4a109f621d21ef388f4bf3de.jpegIMG_4182.thumb.jpeg.b5949597f75117f6fa717bdd1b06a2fd.jpegIMG_4186.thumb.jpeg.425d8f30474461462d5e27de8c70c767.jpegIMG_4196.thumb.jpeg.3f24e7fce553e8621dee16d74f155462.jpegIMG_4200.thumb.jpeg.ad92e64427f529c7ea53fdf71aae9bc2.jpegIMG_4209.thumb.jpeg.ed4f1c060d3a6ab056b5a2ec7a678856.jpegIMG_4217.thumb.jpeg.c39f85981bf4671864415b8471080651.jpegIMG_4247.thumb.jpeg.fea9bb1b65c1d04faef93f5b5706c47d.jpegIMG_4248.thumb.jpeg.822e2f25abc7fe8097599a6c45e7a320.jpegIMG_4241.thumb.jpeg.e720f490e9c2466c13b2645e7971da20.jpeg

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

I'll second checking out Snaefellenes. So beautiful.

We have booked a small group tour for Snæfellsnes for one of our days on our self-directed post-extension on our 2024 IML cruise - definitely looks like a must see region.

• Like 1