HAL Navigator app

SSBrickNJ

I am a HAL newbee who has a cell phone called: "Samsung Galaxy Note8"

It's an android phone.

I have downloaded plenty of apps.

Yet today I entered into the Google Play Store: "Holland America Navigator" and to my surprise, my entry prompted the following pop up message: "This app will NOT WORK on your phone".

Huh?!

I can do my Online Check In on the laptop and print everything. The HAL chat rep said I COULD go on our August 2nd HAL Cruise and function ok without the app.

1) Do you agree with the HAL chat rep's statement?

2) Any thoughts or experiences with the HAL Navigator app not being able to be downloaded on a phone such as mine?

I agree with the HAL rep's statement. 

There are numerous threads in this forum discussing the phone issue.  I experienced it myself.  The short answer is you need to buy a new phone. 

• Like 1

The Note 8 shipped with Android 7.1 (Nougat) and stopped getting updates at Android 9, which came out in 2018. The current version of Navigator requires Android 10 at a minimum.

You should be able to access most of the functionality via your web browser on the ship, but some things won't work. I'd guess device-to-device messaging would be one of them.

I think you'll be fine without the app.  We've been cruising since before cell phones and always managed. 😀

Edited by POA1
  • Like 1

Thank you to those who responded thus far.

Two follow ups from me.

#1 My wife and I are new to HAL...But....we've been on four Royal Caribbean cruises in the past and we were indeed fine without using that cruise line's app

#2 Yet, my wife go a new phone a month ago. Samsung 20 "something".

I just remember the number was in the low twenties.

IF she doesn't mind, we can download the app on her phone.

Just now, SSBrickNJ said:

Thank you to those who responded thus far.

Two follow ups from me.

#1 My wife and I are new to HAL...But....we've been on four Royal Caribbean cruises in the past and we were indeed fine without using that cruise line's app

#2 Yet, my wife go a new phone a month ago. Samsung 20 "something".

I just remember the number was in the low twenties.

IF she doesn't mind, we can download the app on her phone.

Is it NEEDFUL? Will it expedite the boarding process or any other things when we are on board? We are not getting the wifi package. We will not use our phones once we sail.

I'm sure your wife will be able to download the app to her phone. 

The app is nice to have but not necessary in order to enjoy the cruise.  Don't stress over it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You don't need to buy a wifi package in order to use the app.  Just put your phone in airplane mode and you'll be able to activate the app.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SSBrickNJ said:

Is it NEEDFUL? Will it expedite the boarding process or any other things when we are on board? We are not getting the wifi package. We will not use our phones once we sail.

The app lets you see daily programs & menus, but you can find them on paper on board.  Other than the messaging, which we've always managed with Post-Its* or that psychic connection you get from being married for decades, the only thing I can think of that you'll miss out on is online food ordering.  You'll probably be fine and those of us who can do it will be fatter. Because if I'm being honest, being able to have some food meet me after a night at the B.B. King Lounge or the Rolling Stone Rock Room is probably going to seem more appealing than it should.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Thank you for both responses Roz 🙂

Still curious though, if I have my boarding pass printed and my luggage tags attached, would it be correct to say that people with the app have no advantage over me for boarding? The app might be "nice" but it does not expedite boarding...on dining seating? Correct?

6 minutes ago, SSBrickNJ said:

Not needed at all for any purpose!

It is no benefit during boarding, as we still take paper boarding pass.

It does show events during the day, but that is available on the stateroom TV and a paper Daily Progam is delivered to your room each evening.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SSBrickNJ said:

Thank you for both responses Roz 🙂

Still curious though, if I have my boarding pass printed and my luggage tags attached, would it be correct to say that people with the app have no advantage over me for boarding? The app might be "nice" but it does not expedite boarding...on dining seating? Correct?

You'll have an advantage. They'll be looking at their screens and bumping into things. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, SSBrickNJ said:

OK then. Thanks to all of you!

Everyone was very helpful!

The one thing we found was a worthwhile convenience with the app was the excursions. Very easy just to show the "ticket" from the phone. We used to print everything, as others said, but on our last cruise in May we used the app for most things, and once you get used to it it's pretty convenient. Sometimes I even used it to pull up the ship's deck plans while walking around.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

The one thing we found was a worthwhile convenience with the app was the excursions. Very easy just to show the "ticket" from the phone.

If you don't have the app, they scan your keycard. Just as easy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use the app to contact guest services daily.  I like to compliment crew who provide me with great service.  I have also used it to get problems resolved with out going to guest services.  I have got my bill corrected and new batteries for my tv remote without calling or standing in line.

I also like to use it to order from the Dive In and NY Deli & Pizza.

However, as others have stated, it is not required.  My DH still has a flip phone🤣

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

If you don't have the app, they scan your keycard. Just as easy.

I have such an efficient brain, that I forgot that was actually what we did, also. But the app was useful for other stuff, as @0106 said. Once I started using it, I liked it. I also ordered from the Dive In and NY Deli a few times; makes it very easy.

• Like 1

As the OP I'm gonna take advantage that I have your attention and ask a different question.

IF we elect not to pre pay the tips, HOW at the end of the cruise do we provide our stateroom attendant his or her tip? I should have asked this when I had HAL on the phone. At the time of the call, HAL's rep said: "We call 'tips' by the term 'crew appreciation' ....for your 7 day cruise (Aug 2nd - Aug. 9th) it will be $16 per person per day.....and that comes to $112 total for you....and $112 total for your wife"

Our total as a couple would then be $224

Certainly I'd prefer not to put $224 cash in an envelope and hand it to the stateroom attendant.

So....#1 Will it be automatically added to my bill?

and....

#2 If "Yes", would my attendant expect something modest yet additional in an envelope as well?

Thanks for letting me break the rules and not start a new thread.

Edited by SSBrickNJ

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

I use the app to contact guest services daily.  I like to compliment crew who provide me with great service.  I have also used it to get problems resolved with out going to guest services.  I have got my bill corrected and new batteries for my tv remote without calling or standing in line.

If you have a laptop with you, it can be done using that as well.

17 minutes ago, SSBrickNJ said:

IF we elect not to pre pay the tips, HOW at the end of the cruise do we provide our stateroom attendant his or her tip?

The Crew Appreciation (automatic tips) are charged to your onboard account daily. At the end of the cruise, this balance is transferred to the credit card you provided to HAL prior to boarding. The Crew Appreciation goes to more personnel; than just your room stewards.

If you want to give additional tips to anyone, that can be done in cash. I usually put such tips in envelopes with a note.

26 minutes ago, SSBrickNJ said:

As the OP I'm gonna take advantage that I have your attention and ask a different question.

IF we elect not to pre pay the tips, HOW at the end of the cruise do we provide our stateroom attendant his or her tip? I should have asked this when I had HAL on the phone. At the time of the call, HAL's rep said: "We call 'tips' by the term 'crew appreciation' ....for your 7 day cruise (Aug 2nd - Aug. 9th) it will be $16 per person per day.....and that comes to $112 total for you....and $112 total for your wife"

Our total as a couple would then be $224

Certainly I'd prefer not to put $224 cash in an envelope and hand it to the stateroom attendant.

So....#1 Will it be automatically added to my bill?

and....

#2 If "Yes", would my attendant expect something modest yet additional in an envelope as well?

Thanks for letting me break the rules and not start a new thread.

There are lots of threads about crew appreciation fees and extra tipping, and I recommend looking them up, as there are more details than I’ll put here. But to answer your questions:

If you don’t pre-pay the crew appreciation, it will show up as a daily fee per person on your statement. You can see this apply and track it daily in the app, but it will show up on your final statement, too, which will be automatically billed to your credit card on file at the completion of the cruise. If you pre-pay it before the cruise, it will not show up on your final statement of onboard spending.

I always add a bit extra in cash on the last day of the cruise for my attendants, but it’s definitely not required or even expected. I also like to give tips to particularly attentive waitstaff and bartenders, especially if I see them frequently over the course of the cruise. Again, not required, but always appreciated. 

Edited by erdufylla
  • Like 1

Forgot to add that you can see your account (charges, credits, any OBC remaining and balance owed) on the interactive TV in your stateroom. You will not automatically get a printed version at the end of the cruise. I take a photo of the account just before disembarkation - or you can ask Guest Service for a printout.

• Like 1