Paris with ship's tour

Arkrockdock

Will be on Norwegian Getaway in Sept. Wife wants to see Paris. I realize that the ship's excursion is expensive and mostly travel time, but we are seniors and feel safer on ships expeditions. Would like to at least get a glass of wine and a croissant at a cafe. Has anyone done this? What is your opinion? I will be asking a lot questions in the coming weeks, so please be patient.

You will find answers in a couple of places.

First, your cruise line's forum - not much difference in travel times, but there may be differences in what is included in the shore excursion.

Second, forum geography places France inside the Mediterranean forum, despite most initial questions being posted in the Western Europe forum.

48 minutes ago, Arkrockdock said:

Wife wants to see Paris. I realize that the ship's excursion is expensive and mostly travel time

This is a major FAQ over on the French Ports Forum. 

To do or not do?

Is it worth the long journey time V the short time in the city.?

Should I/we do the excursion or the "on your own" option instead.?

What will I/we actually see?

You could bring up all the past threads with this question by using the SEARCH tool under your username on the French Ports Forum and reading them might help you decide.

This is the forum you should use/search for best info

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/462-france-ports/

Edited by edinburgher

I guess one needs to carefully read the tour description to see if it says anything  like "time on your own". That might allow you cafe time. Otherwise,  to feed you, they will simply take you to a restaurant to feed you as a group. 

OP it may work out better to just take the DIY transportation that may be offered by your cruise line. We've done this often at certain ports that are a distance away. 

They let you off at a certain place in the city and tell you the time to return to the pickup location. This has worked out easy for us and might for you also.

Just something to consider.

Edited by Ashland