Sheep Visit

Hi!  I would like to go to a sheep farm and have them talk about the sheep and then shear a sheep.   Bonus if there's any demo/discussion of washing/carding the wool after it was removed from the sheep and a sheep/wool related gift shop.   I found Sheepworld in Auckland that seemed to be a good idea, but I'm not sure the tour will work with the schedule.   I am cruising from Sydney, to New Zealand, ending in Auckland.  I'm doing a B2B on the same ship.   The second cruise leaves Auckland and returns to Auckland.   At this time, they only do the shows on Fri, Sat, Sun.   The tour may be too long for the day that I arrive in Auckland after the first cruise and I return on a Wed.   If I have no other option, I could fly out on Saturday after the second cruise, but I'd rather not do that.

Are there other sheep farms/shows in the Auckland area?   I looked at the sheep excursion but it didn't include shearing the sheep.    I'd consider another New Zealand city, if there was a recommended farm.   Any guidance is appreciated.  The sheep have been on my bucket list for awhile.  I'm a knitter/spinner.

I'm heading to Sydney early to go sandboarding and maybe go on the Bridge Climb (besides, you know, with the airline disruptions, I need to get their early to avoid missing the cruise).   So Sydney would be quite convenient.   My only issue is that that farm wants nearly $900!    I need to try to find a group tour.   But I will try to search in the Sydney area and see if I can find a nice group tour.  Thanks for reminding me of the Australian sheep.

if you go to Christchurch, there is often tours to sheep farms offered. We did one previously from Akaroa, but the ships now normally dock at Lyttelton, so not sure if there will be one.

4 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

I am guessing one of your cruises stops at Tauranga ?

If so, you could consider a tour which includes the agrodome show in Rotorua.

Rotorua is about an hour from Tauranga.

There are also many other worthwhile attractions in Rotorua.

I also recall going to a farm somewhere near Rotorua however it was a long time ago so I am hazy on details. They had shearing and a sheep dog demonstration.

Here's another one near Sydney:

https://www.calmsleyhill.com.au/

The problem is that sheep are not shorn individually, but in big groups with a team of shearers who travel to the property especially to sheer a large flock. They shear very quickly and the sheep often get superficial cuts, which can upset people who are watching, so it's not usually a spectator sport. So a demonstration of shearing one or two sheep will only be at a "tourist farm" where they do it slowly and carefully.

If you are interested in local spinning and weaving, you could contact these people and ask what they would recommend:
https://www.nsweave.org.au/

2 hours ago, muddles@sea said:

Viator has stout to Tobruk Sheep Station just outside of Sydney at Maroota 

Is their stout made from ship dip, like the Kiwi ones?

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Obilix said:

Is their stout made from ship dip, like the Kiwi ones?

3 hours ago, muddles@sea said:

Viator has stout to Tobruk Sheep Station just outside of Sydney at Maroota 

Maroola is around Goulburn which is a long way from Sydney.

If you can make it down there.. depending on the time of the year they often do public sheep shearing and it's pretty damn remarkable anyhow in Queenstown and surrounding areas (easy flight from Auckland) - https://www.realnz.com/en/experiences/dining/walter-peak-gourmet-bbq-dining/walter-peak-gourmet-bbq-dining/?gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw-7OlBhB8EiwAnoOEk6ppzXi2CkmkK474_H22G_6UU556onHfuuEAYDmtiy7vyoXDqk9-pBoClS4QAvD_BwE