Live EPIC Mediterannean 11-Day Cruise from Marseille, France October 2, 2023-with pics!

graphicguy

Just looked at STEP.  Not sure it nets me much, as it won't let me add the Cruise ship as an address where they can reach me.  And, I'll only be at the hotel one night.  So, aside from providing my phone and email address, I think anything that goes wrong globally, I'll probably know about it via the news vs having the state dept contact me.

Signed up with my phone number and email address, though.  They sent this back to me....

Thank you for notifying us of your upcoming travel plans through the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)!

This email is to confirm your recent enrollment. This information is only accessible to authorized U.S. Department of State Embassy and Consular personnel in the event that emergency assistance needs to be provided to U.S. citizens and nationals who are traveling abroad.

I do include a color copy of my passport in the paperwork I carry separately from my passport location.  Plus, while of limited use, I do have a Passport card I'll carry in my wallet.

I think STEP is probably more viable and useful if you're traveling to countries who are unfriendly to Americans, or where communications may be limited.

Good suggestion, though.  Kind of an extra layer of contact if something goes really sideways.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Not sure I want my lawyer and/or accountant as an emergency contact, however.  I can just hear both of them answer the phone upon my demise/accident....."yeah, whatever" and then send me a bill for their after hour services.

😂 Very true...though upon my demise I likely won't care.

I register with STEP more for informational/safety purposes. I was in Ethiopia and Myanmar when conflicts erupted unexpectedly, so it was helpful to receive alerts from the State Dept. A few years ago I was alerted to wildfires in Siberia while I was visiting. The alerts were also helpful when I was in Paris where there are occasional demonstrations so I know what areas to avoid and enjoy the rest of the city. 

When traveling on a cruise or on a tour, you are in a safe cocoon so it is not necessary to register. But if exploring on your own, it could be helpful.

Edited by Sugar Magnolia
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

😂 Very true...though upon my demise I likely won't care.

I register with STEP more for informational/safety purposes. I was in Ethiopia and Myanmar when conflicts erupted unexpectedly, so it was helpful to receive alerts from the State Dept. A few years ago I was alerted to wildfires in Siberia while I was visiting. 

When traveling on a cruise or on a tour, you are in a safe cocoon so it is not necessary to register. But if exploring on your own, it could be helpful.

Yeah....my son knows where the will is.  If I kick it while gone, I know the first thing he'll head for.  LOL!  

I used to travel a lot to Brazil and Chile. I always made a point to know where the U.S. Embassy was in those places.  Plus, my (then) wife would know how to reach me at my hotel(s) as I'd give her their phone numbers.  I had a mobile phone, but it was a pricey Sat Phone that my company paid for, and was only supposed to be used for business.  But, I gave her that phone number, too.

Ethiopia?  Myanmar?  Definitely register with STEP for those countries.  

Aside from Haiti, I don't know that there's a cruise ship destination that I'd feel less than secure.  Plus, I've been to Haiti (via Royal Caribbean).  Not sure I'd want to visit again.

• Like 1

I’m a big believer in redundancies.  There’s nothing I can do about cancelled flights or weather interruptions.  I can replace clothes from lost luggage.  What I can’t replace (at least not readily or easily) is my passport nor my cruise ticket.  

So….

-passport card in my wallet

-copy of passport picture and signature page as well as front cover

-paper copy of cruise ticket and jpeg of ticket barcode on my iPhone.  Cruise ticket in my “Dropbox”.

Backpack gets lost/stolen redundancies in my Dropbox.  iPad or Macbook gets lost or breaks, redundancies on my iPhone.  iPhone gone?  Dropbox available from any internet terminal!

No internet available?  I have paper copies of everything!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I’m a big believer in redundancies.  There’s nothing I can do about cancelled flights or weather interruptions.  I can replace clothes from lost luggage.  What I can’t replace (at least not readily or easily) is my passport nor my cruise ticket.  

So….

-passport card in my wallet

-copy of passport picture and signature page as well as front cover

-paper copy of cruise ticket and jpeg of ticket barcode on my iPhone.  Cruise ticket in my “Dropbox”.

Backpack gets lost/stolen redundancies in my Dropbox.  iPad or Macbook gets lost or breaks, redundancies on my iPhone.  iPhone gone?  Dropbox available from any internet terminal!

No internet available?  I have paper copies of everything!

We are twinsies...also use Dropbox.

Have copies of passport in wallet, luggage and backpack.

I also have copies of important phone numbers because s!#t happens.

• Like 1

Mentioned previously, had to key in on some new luggage as my previously well used/well worn luggage was sliding quickly towards its expiration date.  Most of it was 10+ years old and seen millions of miles.

Did the usual Costco, Target, Walmart, etc shopping.  Most of it felt pretty flimsy and in my mind, while not the most expensive, certainly not worth the price given its build quality.  

I shop certain things to death....cars, stereo gear, and some other minutia fueled tech gear.  Although, I am a tried and true Apple fan boy.  Their stuff just works, and it lasts and lasts.

Back to luggage.....I guess people drop some serious coin on exotic materials when buying luggage.  Saw some crazy expensive aluminum jobs.  Last time I spent a lot on luggage was on some company who seems to get a lot of press, either via their own PR, or some affiliates on YouTube....AWAY.  I bit on them.  For the money, they aren't really made all that well.  I pounced on one of their cases and the zippers and handle broke in 2 years.  Yeah...they have a lifetime warranty.  But, by the time you send in back to them on your dime, and the time it takes to get them repaired and returned, it's like throwing good money after bad.

Then, you have well respected brands like TravelPro.  I have some of their luggage.  I like it.  Sturdy, made well, etc.  But, I need something a "skosh" bigger for this long trip.  Again, good brand but their stuff can ring up a pretty big bill for their better offerings.

That brings us to the "trendy" on line brands.  Jumped on a sale for a brand called MONOS.  The bag they delivered was already broken.  Plus, they played fast and loose with their returns and pricing.  Took me a while to get it squared away, but I just don't like working with companies who operate on the "cringy" side of customer service and policies.

Found this company.  Amazon does their fulfillment. So, a bit of a layer of protection there.

But, their prices were reasonable.  They adhere to their warranty terms.  Plus, they were just really a pleasure to do business with, before and after the sale.  Plus, their luggage and accessories punch way above their price weight.  All of it well made.  I got their carry on and their compression bags.  All of it very, very nice and on the lower end of the price spectrum.  

Just got a personalized note from their CEO thanking me....handwritten, no less.  Obviously, they're a small business.  And, little touches like that won't continue as they grow.  But, wanted to give them a little shout out if you're in the market.  Good stuff!!!!!!

https://www.aerotrunk.com

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cavok said:

@graphicguy

Since you took great care to hide any personal information in your email excerpts, you may want to remove the tiny "Print Luggage Tags Here" Link as it gives away the stateroom #...

Have a great trip!

Thanks…missed that.  Too late to change the post.  I think my user name and password is required to see (I hope….fingers crossed)!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Thanks…missed that.  Too late to change the post.  I think my user name and password is required to see (I hope….fingers crossed)!

If you get a mysterious knock on your cabin door ( knock, knocka, knock, knock) don’t assume it’s your Butler or Steward.  Oh…maybe just a stowaway who needs a place to crash. This could get interesting 🤔.

Edited by laudergayle
  • Haha 7

32 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

If you get a mysterious knock on your cabin door ( knock, knocka, knock, knock) don’t assume it’s your Butler or Steward.  Oh…maybe just a stowaway who needs a place to crash. This could get interesting 🤔.

Yes, he does have a second bedroom and bathroom in his posh suite.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

I wonder if he would charge double for solos on the upgrade, or would he waive the solo supplement being an avid solo cruiser himself.

I can't wait to see his worksheet.

He would have a spreadsheet.

Pets.  Y/N

Dogs.  Y/N

Rescue.  Y/N

Carry On.  Y/N

Other Luggage.  Y/N

last question…open for interpretation.  

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Maybe he should take upgrade bids..lol.  Maybe reduce his overall cost to “priceless”.

Boy…do I like that idea.  I can have a little “Poor…Fair….Average….High” gauge.  Then let bidders know if they’ve been outbid so they can raise their bids.

I’ll offer some value add like an autograph and little hotel soaps from my pre-cruise hotel!

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

I wonder if he would charge double for solos on the upgrade, or would he waive the solo supplement being an avid solo cruiser himself.

I can't wait to see his worksheet.

Solo supplement, for sure!

Want to use the TV?  That would be en extra charge.  Maybe make it part of a package…say something like TV plus and Toilet Paper plus if you need extra rolls!  Slight up charge pre-paid…for your convenience!!!

• Haha 6

8 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Ta daaa! The link has been removed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Your handle is now Highfalutin Rasputin, with your charismatic traits that appeal to the masses, and your aura that is part mystical, part hysterical.

Sorry, I already gave Haven Maven to @cruiseny4life.

Highfalutin Rasputin.  I like it.

I think I’m going to trade mark FTPAS+ for the Free Toilet Paper At Sea Plus, so when I sublet the 2nd bathroom in my cabin, I can have a nifty marketing moniker to justify the extra charges.

• Haha 6