Live EPIC Mediterannean 11-Day Cruise from Marseille, France October 2, 2023-with pics!

graphicguy

15 hours ago, laudergayle said:

If you get a mysterious knock on your cabin door ( knock, knocka, knock, knock) don’t assume it’s your Butler or Steward.  Oh…maybe just a stowaway who needs a place to crash. This could get interesting 🤔.

I haven’t had a good stalker around for quite some time.  Could be fun.  LOL!

I still feel a little guilty (not much) about booking this cabin solo.  I’m sure I’ll get over it, though.

• Haha 8

21 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Yes, the weather forecast is in your favor in October. I avoid the Mediterranean in the summer to avoid meltdowns, both physically from the heat and mentally from the crowds.

Do you have any excursions planned yet?

8 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Maybe a general question, but I just found it on my LOG IN for this cruise.

At the top, there's a line that says "WP20000".  It's not a link.  And, as many times as I've sailed, I've never seen it before.

Anyone know what it means?

No WP20000 on my cruise. I did find that NCL apparently owes us $670. I'm guessing it is website gremlins and they don't actually owe us money.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

No WP20000 on my cruise. I did find that NCL apparently owes us $670. I'm guessing it is website gremlins and they don't actually owe us money.

Just looked at our 11/5 cruise and they owe us $340.  No wonder they can’t turn a profit!!

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Yes, the weather forecast is in your favor in October. I avoid the Mediterranean in the summer to avoid meltdowns, both physically from the heat and mentally from the crowds.

Do you have any excursions planned yet?

No…I haven’t.  But, I have the ones picked out I want.  They’re all still available.  Will work with the on board concierge.  If things don’t worth with her/him, I have 3rd party back ups!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Yes, I’ve been checking every day and it looks like the weather is going to cooperate. Can’t wait!

• Like 1

Dan ... we are back on watch.  Final countdown sequence yet, packing 98.5% done and systems checked, time for that single digital dance just around the corner - as early as today or tomorrow ?

Susan "instructed" me to tune our intermediate radar to home in mediterannean options ahead, and ya know what that means.  Lately, I don't recall reading "serious" live review on the Epic, yours is the one to be on.  Bon Voyage and have a great trip.  

Love our Airtags 😁 😎 😬 on last week's dry run - remember this one, just kidding.

DELTA-DontExpectLuggageToArrive.jpg.01b5ff0861298ee26b644fa86e12811c.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Dan ... we are back on watch.  Final countdown sequence yet, packing 98.5% done and systems checked, time for that single digital dance just around the corner - as early as today or tomorrow ?

Susan "instructed" me to tune our intermediate radar to home in mediterannean options ahead, and ya know what that means.  Lately, I don't recall reading "serious" live review on the Epic, yours is the one to be on.  Bon Voyage and have a great trip.  

Love our Airtags 😁 😎 😬 on last week's dry run - remember this one, just kidding.

DELTA-DontExpectLuggageToArrive.jpg.01b5ff0861298ee26b644fa86e12811c.jpg

My biggest fear…..lost luggage for a trip that will  last 11 cruise days + another week+ meandering around Italy with family.

Doing trial runs with carry ons.  The weather seems like it might cooperate, allowing short sleeve shirts and shorts with a pair or two of khakis thrown in for good measure.  But, even though I can use laundry services on the ship, it’s the post cruise laundry I’m concerned about.  I don’t want to spend hours looking for laundry facilities in remote locations in Italy.

Lose a piece of luggage and that’s a whole other kettle of fish.  If I can keep my luggage close, I’d feel better.

Not sure I can, but I’m trying to finagle it.

Looking at this guy in addition to my roll aboard, but from the measurements, I don’t know that they’d let me consider it an “under seat” option.

https://nordace.com/en/product/nordace-henge-45l-carry-on-backpack/

It’s like a 5th grade word problem with more than one answer. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

My biggest fear…..lost luggage for a trip that will  last 11 cruise days + another week+ meandering around Italy with family.

Doing trial runs with carry ons.  The weather seems like it might cooperate, allowing short sleeve shirts and shorts with a pair or two of khakis thrown in for good measure.  But, even though I can use laundry services on the ship, it’s the post cruise laundry I’m concerned about.  I don’t want to spend hours looking for laundry facilities in remote locations in Italy.

Lose a piece of luggage and that’s a whole other kettle of fish.  If I can keep my luggage close, I’d feel better.

Not sure I can, but I’m trying to finagle it.

Looking at this guy in addition to my roll aboard, but from the measurements, I don’t know that they’d let me consider it an “under seat” option.

https://nordace.com/en/product/nordace-henge-45l-carry-on-backpack/

It’s like a 5th grade word problem with more than one answer. 😉

That is a really nice backpack but it does look a bit hefty for the under seat option. It also looks like it would take up half my body size.

With so many canceled or delayed flights nowadays, it is another good reason to only take carryons. When possible I try to upgrade to premium economy or business for the extra baggage allowance when I absolutely must have the bags with me. Of course, not all airlines have that extra baggage allowance option and European airlines have stricter rules for onboard baggage. On smaller jets when I have to check all bags, I can see my bags being loaded onto the jet so no worries. AirTags are great for locating missing bags so you can quickly decide your course of action. 

Years ago I was traveling through Spain for weeks and washed whatever I could in the sink. I was elated to finally find a laundromat in a remote part of the Pyrenees. Happiness is a pile of clean laundry. 

Nowadays, especially when traveling in remote areas, I only pack wash and wear clothes and give up on the ballgowns.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

That is a really nice backpack but it does look a bit hefty for the under seat option. It also looks like it would take up half my body size.

With so many canceled or delayed flights nowadays, it is another good reason to only take carryons. When possible I try to upgrade to premium economy or business for the extra baggage allowance when I absolutely must have the bags with me. Of course, not all airlines have that extra baggage allowance option and European airlines have stricter rules for onboard baggage. On smaller jets when I have to check all bags, I can see my bags being loaded onto the jet so no worries. AirTags are great for locating missing bags so you can quickly decide your course of action. 

Years ago I was traveling through Spain for weeks and washed whatever I could in the sink. I was elated to finally find a laundromat in a remote part of the Pyrenees. Happiness is a pile of clean laundry. 

Nowadays, especially when traveling in remote areas, I only pack wash and wear clothes and give up on the ballgowns.

Yeah...I'm doing "trial" packing and doing mental theatrics.  It's going to be about a 25 day trip, all-in-all.

1 outfit for every 2 days I'm gone.  Will use the free laundry perk towards the end of the cruise (note to self, bring my own plastic laundry bag instead of using those flimsy NCL ones).

-Probably get away with 10 shirts and shorts.  

-1 pr khakis

-Won't skimp on boxers, so 25 (which reminds me, I don't know that I own that many, so time to head to the boxer store.

-One pair of tennis shoes.  Hoping that will suffice for daily use and get me into all the venues on board and on land.  

-Will forego swim trunks as this isn't that kind of trip.  

-10 pair socks

-(maybe) A hoodie

-Meds

-Gin-Gins

-International Plug

-couple of charging cables that offer lightning, USB-C and USB-A

-iPad

-iPhone (which will be in my pocket most times

-a pretty think folder for the cruise Tickets, Meet and Greet info, flight ticket redundancies, hotel reservations

I think that's it.

Will see how that shakes out.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Will forego swim trunks as this isn't that kind of trip.  

We sailed the med first week of November and we’re surprised by how warm most afternoons were.  The swim trunks came in handy.  And, then there is the hot tub.

and, take the hoodie on the plane!

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Yeah...I'm doing "trial" packing and doing mental theatrics.  It's going to be about a 25 day trip, all-in-all.

1 outfit for every 2 days I'm gone.  Will use the free laundry perk towards the end of the cruise (note to self, bring my own plastic laundry bag instead of using those flimsy NCL ones).

-Probably get away with 10 shirts and shorts.  

-1 pr khakis

-Won't skimp on boxers, so 25 (which reminds me, I don't know that I own that many, so time to head to the boxer store.

If entire trip is 25 days long and you will be doing laundry on the ship, seems like you do not really need 25 pairs of boxers? Or, not to get too personal, do you go through two pairs a day? 😁

You can definitely get away with wearing an outfit twice if the weather is cooler while you are in Italy with family.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

@graphicguy  Nice find on that bag ... from the specs given, as long as it isn't overpacked & using those compression straps to compress everything tightly together should help.  Flying DL all the way, should be safe with your lifetime status to get past the gate dragons when boarding.  Surprises happen and as long as you don't need to deal with any airport & airline hub by transferring or in-transit thru EU security & passport control, should be reasonably safe - don't they sometimes give you a special tag or pass with elite status recognition.  Haven't flown much in the last 7 to 8 years until lately ... but Star Alliance is us and as long as I'm using JFK outbound, nephew @ ground ops can usually help "take care of us" with any possible boarding & often get us upgraded, subject to availability on a # of carriers. 

Otherwise, doubtful that you can claim that as the smaller piece for "under the seat" option, just way too big to slip it under ... front cabin, there's usually lots of OHB space to put it above, just need to be 95% sure that both items get on the jetbridge & down the ramp to greet the purser, as they are less likely to challenge elite members as they have the pax manifest, as you well know.  

eBags Motherlode Junior is smaller than its original bigger 22" brother, at 19" tall and I am getting to like, love it a lot - expandable & no problems whatsoever with a net total weight of 20 lbs, 25 lbs and 30 lbs with that 2 Pack-It gadget pouches and Chromebook/laptop as those are like 11 to 13 lbs alone combined.  Too "expensive these days as Samsonite/eBag's corporate owner raised prices again & again - not even at $180 with 20% off code ... Amazon has it at about $145 when I last check it - practically the same.  One of the nieces living in England but hop all over the world these days with her beloved said there are tons of EU spec'd spinners, rollerboards and backpack that are more compatible overseas and for transit thru Asia, smaller & perhaps, suggested that we shop for one on our next trip & haul it back on the TA. 

There are a # of 20L, 25L and 30L ones on Amazon that are smaller but shape-wise, should be more compliant with underseat requirements and not questioned at the boarding gate.  TP-Portugal specified that the personal bag (under the seat) to be smaller and limited to 10 lbs only (yes - not even 3 kg) total ... it will get "rejected" if they choose to enforce the rules, and apparently they are inconsistent, worst if you are on a narrow bodied TA jet on the route.   For the cabin overhead bin, they allow up to 22" x 14" x 9" - BUT and it's a big but, 22 lbs or 10 kg.  Business/First, on their directly operated flights, I'm told - exempt ... all others, comply for gate-check with a penalty fee ($100 USD based on EU exchange - conversion rate)

The other option is ScottVest, should've "invested" in one a decade ago when they're under $100 then, now - they want something like $229+ and up for a warrior-certified vest.  My new travel vest cost a lot less - with several Eagle Creek pouches & soft bags, should do it, especially if the weather is cool enough to be undercover with a windbreaker as the outer layer.  Checkout Amazon's options - saw an option or two for under $75 overnighted for next day delivery. 

DW hates using one of half dozens of backpack from the home collection & rather use a smaller rollerboard - can't convince her to use a sturdy, "pre-owned" (male styled ??) one in our collections (not going to spend $$$ on another one, too many already.  Well, got a plan - stack my backpack on top of her eBags rollerboard (lifetime warranty, yet to be tested against free replacement or repair/exchange)

P.S.  Quick drying Under-Armour boxers ??  they aren't "cheap" (other brands are out there) but I think a dozen should suffice, wash them in the sink - once on the ship, do that 1st load, then a 2nd load and a 3rd load, should all be free with Platinum/+ status on 11 days plus the extra, for being in Haven.  Not that it'll save a lot of compressed & rolled up space in the carry-on's corners.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

If entire trip is 25 days long and you will be doing laundry on the ship, seems like you do not really need 25 pairs of boxers? Or, not to get too personal, do you go through two pairs a day? 😁

You can definitely get away with wearing an outfit twice if the weather is cooler while you are in Italy with family.

Yeah...you're right.  That's why I like "airing my dirty laundry" in these threads.  My mind sometimes misfires.

½ that would work.  

Nice catch!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

The other option is ScottVest, should've "invested" in one a decade ago when they're under $100 then, now - they want something like $229+ and up for a warrior-certified vest.  My new travel vest cost a lot less - with several Eagle Creek pouches & soft bags, should do it, especially if the weather is cool enough to be undercover with a windbreaker as the outer layer.  Checkout Amazon's options - saw an option or two for under $75 overnighted for next day delivery. 

I have several ScottVests...probably the only good investments I've ever made in my life. I am able to stuff so much in the pockets. My body might end up being overweight, but not my luggage. 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

21 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

We sailed the med first week of November and we’re surprised by how warm most afternoons were.  The swim trunks came in handy.  And, then there is the hot tub.

and, take the hoodie on the plane!

Good idea about wearing the hoodie on the plane.

This is one of those port rich cruises with some overnights and no beach type plans, at all.  If my plans come to fruition the way I think they will, hot tubs will be the least thing on my agenda.

Then again, it's a European Cruise.  I could alway buy one of those "man thongs" in port to wear.  

That would clear out a hot tub in seconds. 😉

• Haha 11

Never even heard of Scott Vests.  Will check those out.

The more I think this through, the more I think I'm going to force my tired eBags Pro Slim Backpack (or whatever they're calling it these days).  Looks like hell but is still functional.  Just a little wary about using it for a trip of this magnitude.

Thanks!

42 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

I have several ScottVests...probably the only good investments I've ever made in my life. I am able to stuff so much in the pockets. My body might end up being overweight, but not my luggage. 😅

So true!  Once you travel with a vest (lots of them available, no point in paying more than $50) you'll never go back.  I have a little 'flight bag' of necessities that comes out, then the vest is folded into a big plastic bag for the overhead.   Same thing for airport security.  I satisfy my inner fashionista with a nice scarf.  The convenience is SO worth it.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

So true!  Once you travel with a vest (lots of them available, no point in paying more than $50) you'll never go back.  I have a little 'flight bag' of necessities that comes out, then the vest is folded into a big plastic bag for the overhead.   Same thing for airport security.  I satisfy my inner fashionista with a nice scarf.  The convenience is SO worth it.  

Agree, a scarf pulls everything nicely together. Embarrassingly, I own too many of them.

@graphicguy put scarf on your list for those times when you are feeling snazzy.

• Haha 5