Live EPIC Mediterannean 11-Day Cruise from Marseille, France October 2, 2023-with pics!

graphicguy

1 hour ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

I have several ScottVests... able to stuff so much in the pockets. My body might end up being overweight, but not my luggage. 😅

Airlines are now weighing pax too, at the boarding gate, so they can accurately compute gross takeoff weight for the aircraft, fuel use and ETOP, etc. 

Here, 6 lbs worth in transferred body weight with pouches, and a foldable bag or daypack to store once onboard and to deplane later. 

PXL_20230921_164804378.jpg

And, the neck-pillow case trick 😉😉😉

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Airlines are now weighing pax too, at the boarding gate, so they can accurately compute gross takeoff weight for the aircraft, fuel use and ETOP, etc. 

Here, 6 lbs worth in transferred body weight with pouches, and a foldable bag or daypack to store once onboard and to deplane later. 

OMG!  Are you telling me you wrap your neck with the uninflated pillow like a scarf????  Mine's too big to fit in a vest pocket.  Absolute genius!  I never thought to weigh mine, that will be interesting.  

Edited by jsn55

5 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

I was not aware of the boarding gate weigh in. I am barely at 100 lbs so it might not be an issue. I had to gain weight to qualify for the Flying Dutchman zipline in St Maarten by stuffing my fanny pack with a few power banks.

However, if the airlines start imposing weight limits on our outer garments, I will have to start investing in undergarments with pockets.

Do tell...what is the neck pillow case trick?

50 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Airlines pre weighing passengers?  That’s begging for a lawsuit!!!!!

I like that vest.  Eddie Bauer web site here I come!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

Great! I can see it now, Ma'am, I'm sorry but your BMI is too high, that will be an additional $50 for your extra "luggage."

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

OMG!  ... Absolute genius!  I never thought to weigh mine, that will be interesting.  

1 hour ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

I was not aware of the boarding gate weigh in ... if the airlines start imposing weight limits on our outer garments, I will have to start investing in undergarments with pockets.

Do tell...what is the neck pillow case trick?

58 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Airlines pre weighing passengers?  That’s begging for a lawsuit!!!!!

I like that vest.  Eddie Bauer web site here I come!

Overseas, they started doing that quietly already and apparently, as we are know - DOT and FAA and airlines-friendly and not opposed to these "safety" measures ... since many are flying their narrow body jets across the pond, especially when demands aren't high, slower too ... fuel savings are substantial.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12445831/Airline-weighs-passengers-safety-reasons.html 

Domestic carriers probably are looking into it but ... LCC in EU and Asia are stepping up their games, at least on their domestic or regional routes.  All this b.s. does not enhance or move that seat pitch and most importantly, seat width in coach (747 in my teen days were 18" wide by 34" on Pam Am's 707's and later 747's ... United and others stick with those, then as the B757's and B767's began service, shrinkage came along plus thinner cushions & paddings.  

The movements to leverage LCC's growing restrictions on flyer's rights have been to use measures like stuffing those hollow neck pillows and king pillow cases with rolled up clothings & soft items  - wear and/or hug them when boarding, and evade the gate dragons - always check the specific airline's rules about it, and what's permitted or not.  Flyertalk is the place to find & ask that question. 

We have yet to pull these tricks on carriers that we've flown, yet - Southwest, Frontier and Frontier, etc. comes to mind as good candidates to pilot & test these schemes, in the name of safety.  Not a chance we'll purposely book a flight with them - not sure if NCL selects them as partner in bookings ... cruise terminal check-in, are a piece of cake and a walk thru the park - flying, not any more.

For me, the vest (actually, any multi-pocket jacket or garment - same principles or concept apply) idea ... helps keep those personal items close-by instead of getting it gate-checked, things that I like to have access to in-flight.  Some can be replaced easily, others not so much, i.e. an IFAK (what's that - Individual First Aid Kit) when going ashore ... anyone in the armed services, first responders and EMS knows the importance of having something handy, except an AED (which I habitually looked around for one, depending on the situation) 

For Dan's scheme, he can definitely roll, stuff & fit 25 pairs of boxers in one of the larger neck pillow case - plus get to use it while flying, with room for  several t-shirts, etc.  Nephew works in cargo bu whenever he's inside T1 - the terminal for international airlines, he sees travelers doing it.  

Screenshot_20230921-135952.thumb.png.8deaf8e81cc0240dfe418d7cbc46b07d.png

Screenshot_20230921-140203.thumb.png.5b7f8de122d29543f0e00f73ca2051fb.png

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:
6 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

🤣🤣🤣

18 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

For Dan's scheme, he can definitely roll, stuff & fit 25 pairs of boxers in one of the larger neck pillow case - plus get to use it while flying, with room for  several t-shirts, etc.  Nephew works in cargo bu whenever he's inside T1 - the terminal for international airlines, he sees travelers doing it.  

Screenshot_20230921-135952.thumb.png.8deaf8e81cc0240dfe418d7cbc46b07d.png

Screenshot_20230921-140203.thumb.png.5b7f8de122d29543f0e00f73ca2051fb.png

Just have to make sure it's the "clean" underwear I put in the pillow....not the.....ones I put in my HAZMAT bag.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Never even heard of Scott Vests.  Will check those out.

The more I think this through, the more I think I'm going to force my tired eBags Pro Slim Backpack (or whatever they're calling it these days).  Looks like hell but is still functional.  Just a little wary about using it for a trip of this magnitude.

Thanks!

I just likes yup Scott Vests because I’d never heard of them either. Very cool!

Just spoke to the nice pre-cruise Concierge desk.  Quick pick up of my phone call.  Very cordial.

We'll see if my requests are honored once on board.

1.  Peanut M&Ms replace chocolate covered strawberries

2.  No sparkling wine.  Replace with a cabernet or shiraz

3.  Feather pillows

4.  No pate snacks.  Replace with finger sandwiches, shrimp apps, cheese varieties

I'm a simple man with simple wants.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Just snatched this.....how do you think it looks on me?

How about this, my layering approach, since I have the long sleeve variant already 😆 for the TA flights later in the Fall.  4 more pockets, 2 of them good for all the smartphones plus the iPad Mini and 2 USB battery bank.  Most definitely can wear & carry 10+ pounds of gears 😆😆😆  

Inside pockets or pouches will provide that extra protection layer against pickpocketing in EU tourist hotspots like La Ramblas 😁 

PXL_20230922_150337545.jpg

• Like 4

23 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Just spoke to the nice pre-cruise Concierge desk.  Quick pick up of my phone call.  Very cordial.

We'll see if my requests are honored once on board.

1.  Peanut M&Ms replace chocolate covered strawberries

2.  No sparkling wine.  Replace with a cabernet or shiraz

3.  Feather pillows

4.  No pate snacks.  Replace with finger sandwiches, shrimp apps, cheese varieties

I'm a simple man with simple wants.

On my next cruise in a few weeks in a non-Haven room, I plan to bring peanut M&Ms in a fancy bowl and pretend I am in Haven when I return from an excursion. I’ll let you know how that goes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

21 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Got this guy last night.  On sale for $35.

@mking8288……Not nearly the “tech” person you are.  I will pack a phone, a MagSafe battery , a lightning cable, and an international plug, in this vest.

That’s it.

My iPad will be in my back pack.

90959_MNY.jpg?sw=680

Very nice!

If I wore that, people would think I was a toddler who somehow wandered away from my nursery school group.

• Haha 8

19 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Very nice!

If I wore that, people would think I was a toddler who somehow wandered away from my nursery school group.

I think I’ll a note safety pinned to it stating…”if found, please return this person to the Epic!”

😉

• Haha 9

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I think I’ll a note safety pinned to it stating…”if found, please return this person to the Epic!”

😉

I just re-read that.   Note to self…do not post on CC while playing with the dog.  Assuming y’all knew what I meant to post!  LOL!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I just re-read that.   Note to self…do not post on CC while playing with the dog.  Assuming y’all knew what I meant to post!  LOL!

Dunno, are you sure about that ... AirTag that "cute" vest and/or yourself, share with us the URL link to track (you do trust some of "us" - right) and we can take care of matters with lost & found 😁 😊 😳 

Dogs ... niece's pair, always find their favorite command positions when we visit.  Who's pet-sitting who, I sometimes wonder.  

Kiddings aside, aren't you down to the single digits routine now ? 

IMG_00180813_13540C.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Dunno, are you sure about that ... AirTag that "cute" vest and/or yourself, share with us the URL link to track (you do trust some of "us" - right) and we can take care of matters with lost & found 😁 😊 😳 

Dogs ... niece's pair, always find their favorite command positions when we visit.  Who's pet-sitting who, I sometimes wonder.  

Kiddings aside, aren't you down to the single digits routine now ? 

IMG_00180813_13540C.jpg

Yeah…getting into my “travel routine”.  Leaving a week from today.  Red-Eye to Marseille.  Staying in the old port area.  Hoping there’s walkable area around the hotel/old port area.  Decided to let the concierge book my excursions, entertainment and dining.

So, I want to board early given I’ve seen how busy they get later on embarkation day.

I’ll have plenty of AirTags on me….one in each piece of luggage and one on my iPhone/MagSafe wallet!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 4