Live EPIC Mediterannean 11-Day Cruise from Marseille, France October 2, 2023-with pics!

graphicguy

15 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Do you use Liquid IV? Many have found it quite helpful...especially for that second morning on the ship when everyone celebrated a little too hard on that first night.

I have in the past.  I like it.  I get mine from Costco.  I think any of the electrolyte rich potions all work about the same.  I have a colleague who is way more of a regular “imbiber” than I am.  He paid for one of those “miracle” hangover concoctions called ZBiotics.  He said that one was a waste of money.  But, I don’t know what’s actually in that one.

Personally, for me, drink a tall glass of water before bed.  Liquid IV in the a.m. when you wake.  Followed by V8 Juice (which you can’t get on any cruise ship).  Coffee.  Then eat something that has sausage or bacon in it.  Good to go!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LauraAnneC said:

I looked at a YouTube video to see what Marseille is like. They really seem to have revamped the old port area. It looks like a lovely place to stroll around now. I’m going on the Prima in less than three weeks and it’s one of our stops. 😆

Yeah….looks like the old port area is an active hub of things to do, restaurants, etc.  Thinking after taking the “red-eye” flight, may take a nap and venture out for a bit on Oct 1.

• Like 2

On 9/23/2023 at 11:22 AM, Sugar Magnolia said:

On my next cruise in a few weeks in a non-Haven room, I plan to bring peanut M&Ms in a fancy bowl and pretend I am in Haven when I return from an excursion. I’ll let you know how that goes.

I bet those M&M's will be just as tasty as those fancy Haven M&M's! You could one-up the Haven and bring in Reese's pieces. Now those....are the true taste of a refined palate. 🙂 

• Haha 6

17 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I bet those M&M's will be just as tasty as those fancy Haven M&M's! You could one-up the Haven and bring in Reese's pieces. Now those....are the true taste of a refined palate. 🙂 

Not to mention how jealous the Havenites will be when they catch wind of my bounty. And I won't share.

• Haha 7

On 9/23/2023 at 11:22 AM, Sugar Magnolia said:

On my next cruise in a few weeks in a non-Haven room, I plan to bring peanut M&Ms in a fancy bowl and pretend I am in Haven when I return from an excursion. I’ll let you know how that goes.

I left instructions in the "Butler Letter" to remove all the brown M&Ms.  LOL!

Just a guess, but I'm thinking the ones they bring aren't going to be the "real" M&Ms.  Probably some non-branded knockoff they get from TEMU.

• Haha 3

Check list...(based on what I've forgotten in the past)...

-Q-tips (travel case)

-toothpaste (travel sized x3)

-toothbrush 

-hair brush

-bandaids (travel sized)

-antiseptic wipes

-mini nail clipper

-small electric razor

-'lectric shave

-travel bottles

71rCD20SsiS._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by graphicguy

7 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Check list...(based on what I've forgotten in the past)...

-Q-tips (travel case)

-toothpaste (travel sized x3)

-toothbrush 

-hair brush

-bandaids (travel sized)

-antiseptic wipes

-mini nail clipper

-small electric razor

-'lectric shave

-travel bottles

71rCD20SsiS._SL1500_.jpg

Floss?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Thanks...I always forget something!

Yeah, bring some dental floss but leave the toothbrush home, hotels abroad generally are well stocked with toiletry sets for travelers, things like that, toothpaste, comb, shaver, shoe horn, Q-tips, disposable slippers and bathrobes, etc. - and, ask housekeeping or the front desk for extras or other items ... they often have voltage adapter plugs (and popular smartphone/iPhone chargers with cables, left behind by other travelers) 

Not that it will save you really much weight in the carry-on 😁

• Haha 1

You know, I still find ways to limit what I pack.  I rely on the soap and shampoo on board.  I know some who think that whatever the ship has is inferior to their favorite brand at home.  I don't know if it is, or isn't.

In the Haven it's something called l'locitane (sp)?  Sounds fancy.  Could be Ivory soap as far as I'm concerned.  As long as it gets me clean, I don't care what its name is or what it smells like.  That's just a couple more things I don't have to pack.

These toothbrushes are smaller than normal, and work every bit as good as my big honkin' toothbrush at home.  Again, save a little space and weight.

Point is, all these little things don't seem like much individually.  But collectively, if you make a point of scaling size and weight where you can, it all adds up to a significant amount, and allows me to shrink my luggage.

And, I guarantee I don't smell any different than anyone else on the cruise that bathes.  My hair looks as good (maybe better) by using cruise ship shampoos.  My teeth are just as bright, and my breath is just as fresh as anyone else's (exception being after I have garlic escargot).

That's why I chuckle when I see people talking about bringing coffee pots, play pens, etc.

Heck, I even cut down on the thickness of my socks.  

image.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

You know, I still find ways to limit what I pack.  I rely on the soap and shampoo on board.  I know some who think that whatever the ship has is inferior to their favorite brand at home.  I don't know if it is, or isn't.

In the Haven it's something called l'locitane (sp)?  Sounds fancy.  Could be Ivory soap as far as I'm concerned.  As long as it gets me clean, I don't care what its name is or what it smells like.  That's just a couple more things I don't have to pack.

These toothbrushes are smaller than normal, and work every bit as good as my big honkin' toothbrush at home.  Again, save a little space and weight.

Point is, all these little things don't seem like much individually.  But collectively, if you make a point of scaling size and weight where you can, it all adds up to a significant amount, and allows me to shrink my luggage.

And, I guarantee I don't smell any different than anyone else on the cruise that bathes.  My hair looks as good (maybe better) by using cruise ship shampoos.  My teeth are just as bright, and my breath is just as fresh as anyone else's (exception being after I have garlic escargot).

That's why I chuckle when I see people talking about bringing coffee pots, play pens, etc.

image.png

L’Occitane is very nice. You might even see one of their stores when you’re strolling around Marseille!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, graphicguy said:

image.png

What toothbrush is that?

• Like 1

I've never been on Cruise Critic.  Just saw this thread and signed up.  We're on the same cruise.  Didn't know the ship didn't dock at the Old Port.  Good to know.  Shocked at the prices you mentioned for cabins now.  We're coming from Louisville area.  Our flights aren't nearly as convenient, 3 legs each way.  Wish I'd seen this thread before.   Lol

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Smiller000 said:

I've never been on Cruise Critic.  Just saw this thread and signed up.  We're on the same cruise.  Didn't know the ship didn't dock at the Old Port.  Good to know.  Shocked at the prices you mentioned for cabins now.  We're coming from Louisville area.  Our flights aren't nearly as convenient, 3 legs each way.  Wish I'd seen this thread before.   Lol

Getting exciting now!

From what I can tell, the old port is relatively close to where the Epic will be docked.  I don’t think it’s close enough to walk dragging luggage, but certainly a short UBER!

Flying out of Louisville?  When do you get to Marseille?

If interested, I’m hosting a Meet and Greet on board.  Let me know if you’re interested and I’ll add you to the list.

“This is looking to be a great group and a lot of fun.  Thanks!

So far…

-Graphicguy (1)

-biffluger (4)

-Northofu1 (2)

-Mary and Barbara (2)

-GrammieCruising (2)

-Ticatraveler (2)

-Smokelynx (2)

-Nicole (1)

-Ted and Dolly Farmer (2)

-Dumkat01 (5)

-Peacham (3)

-Vickie, Pat, Roberta (3)

-loveysbydesign (2)

-Thomas, Stephan and Leo (3)

-JL2007 (1)

-RedgeToo (1)

-Big Moodys Fan (1)

Sebastian and Sabine (2)

NCL is hosting our…

MEET AND GREET

FRIDAY OCTOBER 6 FROM 11:00 A.M. UNTIL NOON 

IN CAGNEY’S STEAK HOUSE!

They will have crew to answer our questions!!!!  They usually provide drinks and snacks!”

13 hours ago, graphicguy said:

We arrive Oct 1st at 1:50 pm from CDG.  My wife and adult daughter will be with me.  I'll check if they'd like to come.  Put us down as tentative.  I retired 2 years ago and planned on a cruise then, but various things prevented it until now.  This will be my 3rd cruise, not nearly at your level.  RCCL in 2002, Princess in 2019.

• Like 2