Upgrade Bids.

MONKEY20

Just a word of warning. If you bid for an upgrade and are successful check out your new cabin position before paying for it. We had a balcony cabin on A deck Britannia. I thought because it was under the overhang that I would try to get a better one. We were successful and were allocated G731. It was at the aft of the ship, did some research and mentioned might get some soot but nothing else. It has to be the worst cabin on Brittania right above the live lounge, all you can here is boom, boom, boom till the early hours of the morning. No chance of an early night. So do your research and don't end up like us. Glad to get home for a good night's sleep.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Sorry you didn’t like your upgrade.

The terms state that if successful you get what you get and can’t turn it down.

It’s a massive gamble. But if you’re someone who parties til 3am in the Live Lounge - it’s probably not a bad cabin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MONKEY20 said:

Just a word of warning. If you bid for an upgrade and are successful check out your new cabin position before paying for it. We had a balcony cabin on A deck Britannia. I thought because it was under the overhang that I would try to get a better one. We were successful and were allocated G731. It was at the aft of the ship, did some research and mentioned might get some soot but nothing else. It has to be the worst cabin on Brittania right above the live lounge, all you can here is boom, boom, boom till the early hours of the morning. No chance of an early night. So do your research and don't end up like us. Glad to get home for a good night's sleep.

Ian

What a shame. 

On our first cruise on Britannia, our ta had not ticked the no upgrade box and we was given one of these. We feared it would be noisy so I called P&O and they allowed us to keep our original cabin as it was still available, thankfully. 

Doesn't seem fair you paid extra to get a worse cabin. 

Sleep well, 

Andy 

• Like 1

That really is a shame. I take it they didn’t have another cabin free they could move you to.

My personal view is that ships, hotels etc should not sell rooms they know to be affected by a noise nuisance.

A room has to be fit for purpose and by definition a bedroom is for sleeping in. If sleep is impossible due to excessive (avoidable) noise then the room is not fit for the purpose for which it was sold. That’s why local authorities etc impose noise curfews for DIY, music etc during the hours there would be a reasonable expectation to have peace and quiet to sleep. 

Now if the water company start to drill the road at 3am because of a major leak outside a hotel bedroom, then the hotel can’t do much about that. If however the room is above the disco which the hotel knows starts at x and ends at y time then they are imposing the noise and so choosing to make a bedroom not fit for purpose unless the issue was highlighted prior to booking.

The same for ships, while creaking noises, some engine sounds and crashing waves noise is inevitable and unavoidable boom, boom, boom isn’t.

We had a noise issue on one ship and when I went to reception I was immediately offered ear defenders so they obviously knew perfectly well the cabin had issues. I argued that the brochure did not indicate noise which was more of a potential nuisance than say an obstructed view or adjoining cabin which is detailed on the plans. We were moved. 

These upgrade bids can certainly be a mixed blessing.

• Like 9

After once being "upgraded" on Aurora from my chosen cabin on D Deck mid/forward to a cabin on A deck, I telephoned immediately as we had ticked the no upgrade box.  They moved us back.  I would never book a deck that high up nor anywhere near the stern.  Their idea of an upgrade doesn't agree with mine!

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

We had a noise issue on one ship and when I went to reception I was immediately offered ear defenders so they obviously knew perfectly well the cabin had issues. I argued that the brochure did not indicate noise which was more of a potential nuisance than say an obstructed view or adjoining cabin which is detailed on the plans. We were moved. 

These upgrade bids can certainly be a mixed blessing.

On one of the occasions we stayed at the Dolphin in Southampton we were allocated a room at the front overlooking the High Street.  Notice in the room warning of street noise, and two sets of earplugs! 

That said we didn't need them, probably something to with wine & beer.

Ever since then, whenever we've booked the Dolphin we request a ground floor room.

Many moons ago was flying to Europe on a BA Fokker Friendship.  Was seated under the wing root.  The flight was full so could not change seats.  The engine noise was so bad I asked the stewardess if they had a set of earplugs.  Unfortunately not.  Since then I always pop a set of earplugs in my pocket when flying.