Currently on the onward

ghstudio

9 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

So what good is an overnight in Venice, which we have on our booked cruise, if it's not really Venice?

Edited:OK I"m confused.  All ports on the itinerary show an anchor symbol which I presumed meant anchored but apparently not. Do I need to bother my TA for more accurate info?

It’s not like Azamara is doing this to be cheap. Venice is enforcing the rule that ships over a certain size can no longer dock there. It really is in the Florence/Rome category now. Many people still want to go there, but the ship can’t get all the way there, so this is the best they can offer right now. In the not-very-near future, there will be a new cruise terminal somewhere more suitable. As far as I know, you can get off the ship and stay overnight in a hotel if you want to do that. If you do, you should liaise with the front desk staff/concierge for advice about the easiest way to get back, and to let them know that you’ll be off the ship all night.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lisiamc said:

It’s not like Azamara is doing this to be cheap. Venice is enforcing the rule that ships over a certain size can no longer dock there. It really is in the Florence/Rome category now. Many people still want to go there, but the ship can’t get all the way there, so this is the best they can offer right now. In the not-very-near future, there will be a new cruise terminal somewhere more suitable. As far as I know, you can get off the ship and stay overnight in a hotel if you want to do that. If you do, you should liaise with the front desk staff/concierge for advice about the easiest way to get back, and to let them know that you’ll be off the ship all night.

Of course both Chioggia and Fusina are in the Metropolitan City of Venice, following the decision to ban cruise ships from the historic islands of Venice it’s become a difficult proposition for cruise passengers.

As for Fusina in December 2022 it was announced that a small cruise terminal will be built there but that’s probably sometime in the future so currently it’s a restricted area with passengers having to check in at the Porto Marittimo. So for those overnighting in Fusina unless there’s a port shuttle provided at least to the ferry terminal the Azamara option may be the only way to visit Venice.

Talking the other day to friends who are regular Venice visitors there is still a concern about all large ships entering the lagoon to access the commercial port causing water movement that’s affecting the delicate fabric of the old city. So there’s a plan to move all the commercial activities including cruise ships even further away from Venice so large ships won’t enter the lagoon at all. This would presumably even affect the ship building industry so would take some major investment so I don’t think it’s going to happen in my lifetime.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lisiamc said:

And this has been bubbling away for ages. Venice have been talking about it for years, but they finally got there act together. Not least because of events like this,  San Basilio pier. 

Phil 

16 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

What ships CAN dock in Venice?

I believe the limit is under 25,000 GT and 180 mts length, so not many ships these days, even the super luxury lines ships are getting bigger and bigger. River cruisers are still docking there of course.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Riocca said:

I believe the limit is under 25,000 GT and 180 mts length, so not many ships these days, even the super luxury lines ships are getting bigger and bigger. River cruisers are still docking there of course.

Maybe ships like Windstar?

5 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Maybe ships like Windstar?

5 hours ago, Riocca said:

Yes they should still be ok, Seadream as well.

And Noble Caledonia, Ponant, Scenic and Emerald yachts, Four Season Yachts [when they sail]  Most expedition ships [except they don't go there]  But some of the new-build luxury yachts will be over the limit: Orient Express, Ritz Carlton.

• Like 1

I'm wondering how passengers on this cruise are dealing with the very oppressive heat wave in southern Europe, including Italy. I'm flying to Rome in 8 days and it looks like I may be dealing with the same thing.

13 hours ago, avw said:

I'm wondering how passengers on this cruise are dealing with the very oppressive heat wave in southern Europe, including Italy. I'm flying to Rome in 8 days and it looks like I may be dealing with the same thing.

We’re in Kotor today and the weather makes one think of the reality of “hotter than hell”.  I think the feels like weather has been over 100 the past few days and it’s really hard to deal with.  You drink water, find shade and collapse after just walking around for a couple of hours.  We just do what we can do. I’ve asked the captain if he can make it cooler during the day, but he said it’s out of his hands…HQ is in charge of that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ghstudio said:

We’re in Kotor today and the weather makes one think of the reality of “hotter than hell”.  I think the feels like weather has been over 100 the past few days and it’s really hard to deal with.  You drink water, find shade and collapse after just walking around for a couple of hours.  We just do what we can do. I’ve asked the captain if he can make it cooler during the day, but he said it’s out of his hands…HQ is in charge of that.

HQ in charge of the weather??

Nice to have a direct line, but I never called him HQ.😉

• Haha 2

Dr. H

We’re on the Aug. 22 Onward Italy Intensive cruise. I’m an avid Mah Jjong player and glad to hear there are sets onboard. Looking for any other players who might want to play on cruise.

I haven’t played the Chinese version but am willing to learn.

Also concerned about our day in Fusina. I would expect that Azamara would have a shuttle service to Venice but maybe not.