Finally - Nexus Renewed - Next is Passport Update to Nexus

CDNPolar

My Nexus expired in 2020 but with the Pandemic shutting down the centres in Canada for renewal, were we are three years later.

I finally completed my Canadian interview at the Fort Erie border crossing, crossed into the US and completed the US side interview.  I have been approved again for 5 years.

What I just learned which is just another pain in the butt, is that when my passport expires in 2026 and I get my new passport, I either have to:

1. Drive to Niagara Falls and cross the border and on the US side have the passport updated to my Nexus by both the Canadian and US offices, OR
  2. Do the Fort Erie thing again with both the Canadian and US sides, OR
  3. Have a flight to or transiting through the USA and after passing security and US Immigration visit the US desk at the airport to update.

This apparently cannot be done online, and must be done in person.

AND, now that I have the new passport, I cannot use the Nexus line at the airport, or at the drive through border because my new passport is not yet synced to my Nexus and I will get stopped.  (Just this first time through with the new passport)

Canada is issuing the new passport, and verifying that it is me, can they not link this to the Nexus and be done with it?

I know, first world problems, and kind of a rant.

I am just happy that I finally have a renewed Nexus card after all this time.

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

We never had this problem 🤔

My husband was renewed automatically online... I was informed that I had to present in person for interview.

It may happen to you.

But, note, that when you renew your passport, you must now update your Nexus and this can only be done in person - I was told this yesterday by US agents.

50 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

My husband was renewed automatically online... I was informed that I had to present in person for interview.

It may happen to you.

But, note, that when you renew your passport, you must now update your Nexus and this can only be done in person - I was told this yesterday by US agents.

is this new ? 
We had our new Nexus sent to us , applied online about 2 years ago, had our Passport renewed in December and had no problems fly to the USA in April 

I just logged in to my account, as I seemed to recall updating my passport information on their site. On the right side of the screen there's a link called "update documents". If you go in there, you can update your passport information (at least I can in my account).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, burnabyjean said:

I just logged in to my account, as I seemed to recall updating my passport information on their site. On the right side of the screen there's a link called "update documents". If you go in there, you can update your passport information (at least I can in my account).

That's what I did when I got my new passport. I have since used it to fly to the US. (I have also crossed the border by car but that was just with my Nexus card.)

• Like 1

There must be some misunderstanding here, as my DW and I, along with other posters here, simply updated the passport information on line.

This information comes directly from CBSA:

Update your residential address and passport information

You do not have to go to an enrolment centre to update this information with the CBSA, unless it might affect your eligibility for NEXUS membership.

If these updates will not affect your eligibility, change your residential address and passport information on file using the Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) System operated by U.S. Customs Border Protection.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/travel-voyage/prog/nexus/update-miseajour-eng.html

From US Homeland Security:

Yes, you can update any passport or U.S. lawful permanent resident card that is associated with your TTP membership. If the document information is not already associated with your membership, or your name has changed, you must go to a Trusted Traveler Enrollment Center to add that information.

https://ttp.dhs.gov/faq

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Thanks to Fouremco I read that I had to update our Nexus information when we got our new passports.  I was totally unaware of this requirement.  Followed his instructions - no problem!  🥰

• Like 1

I am only sharing what I was told by the US Agent this past weekend.

My Nexus is now renewed, and my passport expires in 2026.  He said very emphatically that I MUST go in person to a land border crossing or an air crossing when flying through the US to update my passport information in 2026.  

I asked - can I not do this online - he said NO, I must do in person.  

What more can I say?

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

My Nexus is now renewed, and my passport expires in 2026.  He said very emphatically that I MUST go in person to a land border crossing or an air crossing when flying through the US to update my passport information in 2026.  

What more can I say?

As the websites of the US and Canadian government departments responsible for the NEXUS program both say that you don't need to do so in person, I'd suggest that the single agent you spoke to was mistaken.

As you have lots of time before your new passport is issued, why don't you reach out to CBSA and ask them? Here is their contact information: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/bis-sif-eng.html

• Like 3

Just to echo others - confirming I've been able to update my passport online without an issue, as outlined on the CBSA website.

But if you do want to update it in person - you just have to walk in to a NEXUS or Global Entry office and they can do it for you without an appointment, so no big hassle. 

We had to do that when my wife updated her name and got a new passport (as name changes can't be done online) and took five minutes, tops. 

Thanks to all the posters here... 

I have researched and read and re-read almost everything and the only thing I have not done is tried to contact US border services directly.

All the information suggests that I can update my passport online, even though I was told by the US border agent that I must present in person.

We will see.  I will do the update online when the time comes and deal with the fallout after.  

When that time comes it will only require a quick trip to remedy the situation if necessary and no appointment is necessary for updates.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2023 at 3:47 AM, CDNPolar said:

What more can I say?

Those border agents do not always understand things correctly.  

On our last trip home clearing customs in Canada the border agent told us we (myself, DH and DD) were over our allowed duty free alcohol but since we declared she wouldn’t charge us.   Ummmm I said we are not over we each have 1 bottle (DD is of age).  The agent proceeded to state that the duty free amounts were by group not individual… after it had my cleared documents in hand I told her to speak with someone higher up as she was wrong.   This was at a Nexus clearing side too.  

So lesson is don’t rely on one person’s statement 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lesters said:

Those border agents do not always understand things correctly.  

On our last trip home clearing customs in Canada the border agent told us we (myself, DH and DD) were over our allowed duty free alcohol but since we declared she wouldn’t charge us.   Ummmm I said we are not over we each have 1 bottle (DD is of age).  The agent proceeded to state that the duty free amounts were by group not individual… after it had my cleared documents in hand I told her to speak with someone higher up as she was wrong.   This was at a Nexus clearing side too.  

So lesson is don’t rely on one person’s statement 

I have had similar situation with duty free alcohol at both Nexus and regular customs.

The fact is that you can bring what you want through - 1 bottle, 2 bottles, 3 bottles - but you are only DUTY FREE on 1 bottle of spirits up to 1.5 litre.

There are often specials in duty free stores where you buy 3 bottles and you get more savings.  I will take advantage of this but always declare that I am over my limit. 

In most cases I have been waved past by the Canada customs because I declared the overage.

With a couple of situations I was told very directly by the Canada Customs agent that I could NOT bring into Canada more than the allowed duty free limit, and they were adamant about this.

I do not argue or fight with these folks, so I just replied, "I expect you will pull me aside and I will pay duty on the overage" to which she marked my card... and of course I got pulled when leaving the luggage hall, and when I told the inspection agent that I was over by two bottles because of a special, he waved me on and I never paid any duty.

NO, the knowledge is not always there.... 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, lesters said:

The agent proceeded to state that the duty free amounts were by group not individual

If travelling with a spouse who doesn't drink alcohol, you can still bring in two bottles. CBSA is going to process this as a group of two people with a total of two bottles, so all is ok. While not technically correct, from a practical perspective, this is how they handle it. Similarly, if your combined spending on goods that you are bringing back after being away for more than seven days doesn't exceed $1600, they aren't going to double check to ensure that each person stayed within the individual $800 limit as opposed to one perhaps spending $1200 and the other less than $400.

29 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

you are only DUTY FREE on 1 bottle of spirits up to 1.5 litre.

1.5 litres for wine, but only 1.14 litres for "alcoholic beverages", a direct carry over from the pre-metric 40 oz.

On 7/9/2023 at 3:49 PM, Fouremco said:

There must be some misunderstanding here, as my DW and I, along with other posters here, simply updated the passport information on line.

This information comes directly from CBSA:

You do not have to go to an enrolment centre to update this information with the CBSA, unless it might affect your eligibility for NEXUS membership.

If these updates will not affect your eligibility, change your residential address and passport information on file using the Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) System operated by U.S. Customs Border Protection.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/travel-voyage/prog/nexus/update-miseajour-eng.html

From US Homeland Security:

Yes, you can update any passport or U.S. lawful permanent resident card that is associated with your TTP membership. If the document information is not already associated with your membership, or your name has changed, you must go to a Trusted Traveler Enrollment Center to add that information.

https://ttp.dhs.gov/faq

I came across this page too because I recently moved homes.  I updated the mailing address online.  However, my understanding is that we have to update our residential address in an enrolment office.  However, the content on the page says that is not required if it wont' impact your eligibility?  So does that mean if we just moved homes 20 minutes away no need to go into the office?

37 minutes ago, Sailing_Canuck said:

I came across this page too because I recently moved homes.  I updated the mailing address online.  However, my understanding is that we have to update our residential address in an enrolment office.  However, the content on the page says that is not required if it wont' impact your eligibility?  So does that mean if we just moved homes 20 minutes away no need to go into the office?

To repeat the information on the CBSA website:

So, whether you move homes 20 minutes away or move from Halifax to Vancouver, there's no need to visit an enrolment centre to update your residential address.