Are cruise ships visiting Corinto, Nicaragua in 2023-2024?

whogo

I think Nicaraguan ports were being avoided because of civil strife or something. Nicaragua is still on cruise itineraries. What's the situation today, please? The US Department of State website is not encouraging:

"
"Nicaragua, Republic of Nicaragua, Travel Advisory, December 5, 2022, Nicaragua - Level 3: Reconsider Travel
"Reconsider travel to Nicaragua due to limited healthcare availability and arbitrary enforcement of laws. Exercise increased caution in Nicaragua due to crime, and wrongful detentions."

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages.html

Nicaragua has been this way for decades with no likelihood of changing. 

It is ingrained and systemic and not likely to change in foreseeable future.  People fleeing Nicaragua have Temporary Protected Status.  The infrastructure ; water healthcare etc are poor.  The social structure is authoritarian with plain clothes para-police

I am not sure why cruise lines this the costal areas are a viable destination.  Sexual assault is a mentioned risk.

1 hour ago, whogo said:

Yes, as long as I am in the neighborhood. Corinto is on an itinerary I am considering.

Perhaps post your question in the applicable cruise company forum since you've already identified a Nicaragua itinerary. 

I searched the Cruise Critic boards, found that at least some Corinto stops were cancelled in January and April, 2023. Oceania Insignia will have a day at sea instead of visiting Corinto on July 21, 2023. Corinto is still a schedued stop on a number of Panama Canal cruises. I will expect to have the port cancellation announced after final payment is due.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whogo said:

I searched the Cruise Critic boards, found that at least some Corinto stops were cancelled in January and April, 2023. Oceania Insignia will have a day at sea instead of visiting Corinto on July 21, 2023. Corinto is still a schedued stop on a number of Panama Canal cruises. I will expect to have the port cancellation announced after final payment is due.

I'm on an Oceania Panama Canal cruise departing Dec 29 -- it has Corinto as a port of call. We shall see, I suppose....

• 3 months later...
31 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Are cruise ships visiting Corinto, Nicaragua in 2023-2024?

This site may be of interest to you:

https://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruises-to-corinto-nicaragua.html

They just copy what the cruise lines have on their published itineraries and since it's not unusual for a cruise line to not drop a port from an itinerary until the very last minute just being listed on this website is no guarantee that a port call will actually be made.

AFAIK Nicaragua still hasn't reopened to cruise ships.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 6:52 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I'm on an Oceania Panama Canal cruise departing Dec 29 -- it has Corinto as a port of call. We shall see, I suppose....

Got my cancellation notice for Corinto this week. Can't say that it was unexpected.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

They just copy what the cruise lines have on their published itineraries and since it's not unusual for a cruise line to not drop a port from an itinerary until the very last minute just being listed on this website is no guarantee that a port call will actually be made.

AFAIK Nicaragua still hasn't reopened to cruise ships.

Oh, I know.  But it seems like they're keeping their options open.