Question of Norwegian fjords cruise

MomC

I am seriously considering the port intensive Norwegian Fjord cruise for next August.  After researching several cruise lines, their itinerary looks the best.  It has many stops in small locations—I am sure to see the gorgeous coastal countryside.  My question:  can there be too much of a good thing?  Based on experience from those who have sailed this, how would you answer the question about so many stops in small ports?  Don’t get me wrong, I love nature and the beauty of the fjords.  I have done another cruise that went up as far as Bergen.  Loved it, want to see more. But… would love some feedback from those who have done this sailing.

I sailed on Carnival Pride June 10, 2023 to the Norwegian Fjords. Where are the ports for Azamara? We went:

Bergen, Alesund, Molde, Olden, Skjolden, Haugesund.

Olden was EVERYONE'S favorite. 

We had sea days going to and from London. None in between. It was tiring. It was VERY beautiful. We enjoy hiking, so we hiked everywhere except for Haugesund. 

This was the smallest ship we've ever taken. I think it's about 2000 passengers. I would love to try Azamara for the Mediterranean because I feel like getting into the smaller ports would be much better there.

Renee

We did an Edinburgh to Copenhagen Norway Intensive (our first AZ cruise) and it was fabulous.  I recommend paying for access to the spa deck so you can enjoy the hot tub there.  It was great pulling out of the port  with great views and being  lovely and warm.  To me, the only way to see the fjords is from the water and AZ ships are small enough to do just that.  We went up one narrow fjord and the captain did a 360 degree spin with the ship and them back out.  We happened to be in a port when close friends were doing a hiking tour so met up for a beer on the waterfront.  All they did was complain about the cost of food, beer, rainy weather and the inability to see the fjords because they were on land.  We bid them adieu, hopped back on the ship and savoured good wine and good food.  

We are hikers so we enjoyed hiking, walking and puttering about.  Sunset at midnight was amazing.  We are Canadian so used to cool temperatures and rain so the weather didn’t bother us a bit.  We certainly loved the comfort of the ship after our day’s adventure.  Ok, now I want to go back …

• Like 2

Our Norway cruise on Azamara Journey in July 2017 was our favourite - we went to Flam, Geiranger, Molde,Tromso, Trondheim, Olden, Bergen, the Lofoten Islands, Honningsvag/North Cape & Bodo (not in that order!). All were beautiful. We had White Night pretty far north - it was magical seeing the sun still above the horizon at midnight. There were numerous magical moments - the ship turning thro’360 degrees in Trollfjord, the Captain stopping the ship & sending a tender off to a small village to buy strawberries, going under a tight bridge and hearing the captain’s friend hailing us from above us, 

The weather was very varied - we had snow in Flam and hot sun in Bergen - so layers the way to go as far as packing is concerned.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Our Norway cruise on Azamara Journey in July 2017 was our favourite - we went to Flam, Geiranger, Molde,Tromso, Trondheim, Olden, Bergen, the Lofoten Islands, Honningsvag/North Cape & Bodo (not in that order!). All were beautiful. We had White Night pretty far north - it was magical seeing the sun still above the horizon at midnight. There were numerous magical moments - the ship turning thro’360 degrees in Trollfjord, the Captain stopping the ship & sending a tender off to a small village to buy strawberries, going under a tight bridge and hearing the captain’s friend hailing us from above us, 

The weather was very varied - we had snow in Flam and hot sun in Bergen - so layers the way to go as far as packing is concerned.

I would have thought that the one in July 2019 would have been your favorite.  You know...the one with us🤣

And, I agree.  It's a fabulous cruise!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, crzrr said:

I would have thought that the one in July 2019 would have been your favorite.  You know...the one with us🤣

That brings to mind Mark Twain's story of the women who went to heaven and the first person she met there was someone she had always detested.  So she enquired the way to Hell and left immediately.  "So there you have it:  Heaven for climate; Hell for society!"  🤪

9 hours ago, crzrr said:

You’re right - it was 2019 - got my years mixed up, they come and go so quickly nowadays 🤭!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/9/2023 at 5:52 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

That brings to mind Mark Twain's story of the women who went to heaven and the first person she met there was someone she had always detested.  So she enquired the way to Hell and left immediately.  "So there you have it:  Heaven for climate; Hell for society!"  🤪

That's like all the cool kids hang out in the back of the bus!

We just returned from the June 24 - July 10 Norwegian Fjords on Pursuit.  We particularly were thrilled to make it to the North Cape, We used Blue Puffin for tours in Tromso and Honningsvag (North Cape) and give them highest recommendation. Some other tours that were notable include in Hartstad was Adolf Cannon, in Loften was the Sea Eagle Safari. With 11 ports of call, we chose some to relax and DIY walks around town and shop.  We never tired of the beautiful scenery, especially as we traveled north to the Midnight Sun. This cruise was one of our favorites, we recommend it for anyone fortunate to get the opportunity.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 7/14/2023 at 11:26 AM, shank63 said:

We just returned from the June 24 - July 10 Norwegian Fjords on Pursuit.  We particularly were thrilled to make it to the North Cape, We used Blue Puffin for tours in Tromso and Honningsvag (North Cape) and give them highest recommendation. Some other tours that were notable include in Hartstad was Adolf Cannon, in Loften was the Sea Eagle Safari. With 11 ports of call, we chose some to relax and DIY walks around town and shop.  We never tired of the beautiful scenery, especially as we traveled north to the Midnight Sun. This cruise was one of our favorites, we recommend it for anyone fortunate to get the opportunity.

The Adolf Cannon looks interesting.  Did you do a ship tour or independent?  

8 hours ago, Nightowl13 said:

The Adolf Cannon looks interesting.  Did you do a ship tour or independent?  

We did the ship tour and were very fortunate to get possibly the best guide available.  He is an 84 year old retired military veteran who grew up in thr area and remembers hearing the cannon as a kid.  He knows the cannon inside and out.  It’s the best ship tour that I have ever experienced.

• Like 2

Amazing Azers,

We also just returned from the June/July Norway cruise on the Pursuit and agree with Bob and Beverly that it was a great cruise with fabulous scenery and interesting ports of call. We spent 5 days north of the Arctic circle in the land of the Midnight Sun, although it was overcast late at night so it was easy to pull the curtains and sleep!  We booked direct in Stravanger with Rodne for the Lysefjord cruise, a short walk from where the ship docked  https://www.fjordnorway.com/en/see-and-do/fjord-cruise-to-the-lysefjord-and-preikestolen,  Fabulous scenery! 

Mostly did private tours or went OOO  (on our own) but have to give a shout out for the ship’s Crab Feast tour in Honningsvag!  Many did the Blue Puffin to the North Cape which was well reviewed.  Highly recommend the Trollstigen The Land of the Trolls with Trond of Local Tours in Alesund.   https://localtrips.no/excursions.html

Weather was great and had brought clothing for colder weather but as a Canadian, never need it… (Floridians should pack for cold!)  This was on the bucket list for many years and glad we finally got to do it on Az with a balcony…  

M

IMG_1289.jpeg

IMG_1348.jpeg

DSC_9029.jpeg

DSC_9014.jpeg

DSC_8922.jpeg

DSC_8798.jpeg

IMG_7299.jpeg

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Turangi! said:

Amazing Azers,

We also just returned from the June/July Norway cruise on the Pursuit and agree with Bob and Beverly that it was a great cruise with fabulous scenery and interesting ports of call. We spent 5 days north of the Arctic circle in the land of the Midnight Sun, although it was overcast late at night so it was easy to pull the curtains and sleep!  We booked direct in Stravanger with Rodne for the Lysefjord cruise, a short walk from where the ship docked  https://www.fjordnorway.com/en/see-and-do/fjord-cruise-to-the-lysefjord-and-preikestolen,  Fabulous scenery! 

Mostly did private tours or went OOO  (on our own) but have to give a shout out for the ship’s Crab Feast tour in Honningsvag!  Many did the Blue Puffin to the North Cape which was well reviewed.  Highly recommend the Trollstigen The Land of the Trolls with Trond of Local Tours in Alesund.   https://localtrips.no/excursions.html

Weather was great and had brought clothing for colder weather but as a Canadian, never need it… (Floridians should pack for cold!)  This was on the bucket list for many years and glad we finally got to do it on Az with a balcony…  

M

IMG_1289.jpeg

IMG_1348.jpeg

DSC_9029.jpeg

DSC_9014.jpeg

DSC_8922.jpeg

DSC_8798.jpeg

IMG_7299.jpeg

Great photos!!!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Good feedback.  We are also looking at Norway - have done the lower half before, but want to get to the North Cape.  There are so many "small" towns that I was concerned with what we would really be doing in all of those places.  We like nature, hikes, and waterfalls, but didn't know if that is all we would experience for 2 weeks and be "a little much".  There is another cruise line that just hits the bigger, more standard ports up to Honningsvag that we are debating and would allow us more time on the front end for a few days on land.

We did the Azamara Quest cruise last July 25, 2022, to August 8th cruise that was the 14-night Norway intensive cruise. It was excellent. The itinerary was the following.

DUBLIN

SEA DAY

LERWICK/SHETLAND, SCOTLAND

ALESUND

OLDEN

VIK

ELDFJORD

ROSENDAL

STAVANGER

KRISTIANSAND

OSLO

OLSO

SEA DAY

AMSTERDAM

AMSTERDAM

There you go. It was beautiful and it was a cruise of a lifetime. If you take Azamara you won't regret it. 

Tyler

• Like 1