Questions re Luggage Tags and Electric Outlets

countdephotos

It's been a while since we cruised with Holland America, and I have two questions:
1) Should we put our HA luggage tags (the ones with our Stateroom number) on our luggage before we get on our flight, or after we arrive in Amsterdam (where we're staying overnight until our cruise the next day).

2) Do we need European electric adapters for the ship, or does the ship have US electric outlets?

Thanks for your help!

Do not put the HAL luggage tags on until you are headed to the ship. They will just be confusing to other luggage handlers not affiliated with HAL. Also remember to remove them prior to checking any luggage at the airport. 

The ships have US and European electrical outlets. Some of the newer ones have USB outlets also.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, countdephotos said:

It's been a while since we cruised with Holland America, and I have two questions:
1) Should we put our HA luggage tags (the ones with our Stateroom number) on our luggage before we get on our flight, or after we arrive in Amsterdam (where we're staying overnight until our cruise the next day).

2) Do we need European electric adapters for the ship, or does the ship have US electric outlets?

Thanks for your help!

I would put the HAL luggage tags on after your flight.  I always ask the reception desk for the loan of a stapler.

There are both types of electrical outlets US and European. The US are 110v and the European are 220v so if you do use an adapter, then do check that the equipment you are connecting to the European outlet is rated for 220v.  

I use special sleeve tags for the ship tags and simply put the regular tag over that one. Once off the flight I fold the slight tag over, showing blank,  and put it in the sleeve until needed again.  Now the cruise tags shows.   If you have a euro adapter you can use it in the euro plug on the ship thereby getting an extra slot.  You will need the plug in your hotel room 

• Like 1

At the embarkation terminal, there will be someone with a stapler to staple the paper tags you print to each piece of luggage.  It goes very smoothly and is never a bottleneck to boarding.

As others have stated, there are US outlets on the ship.  However, we always carry a bunch of European adapters to allow us to plug in all the electronic stuff we bring on board; there often is not enough conveniently placed US outlets for us.  You can buy adapters for just a couple dollars.  And it doesn't hurt to have one that can handle all the many types of outlets in various countries (for example, the UK, Australia, and Japan all have different plugs).  You can buy a universal adapter for about $10 and is great for hotels before/after the cruise.  Of course, this assumes your electronics can operate on anything from 120V to 240V, but this is pretty common now for stuff you might be traveling with.

Edited by Torquer
  • Like 1

Having electrical adapters are handy if traveling outtside the US as the hotels may not have US 110V outlets. It is important that the device will  be rated for the higher voltage.

The clear vinyl luggage tags provide additional security of not being torn off when the ship is moving your luggage. We carry ours in the suitcase untill the morning we are embarking and attach them then.

• Like 2

@countdephotos   I use tags like these.  Amazon has several different types. I gave some to my cruising companions a couple of times.  They liked them too!  Keeps tags dry and intact.  I put them on before leaving to go to the port....after the flight.

image.png.d9109b1ed4679bc1992b20e16a044c05.png

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 4

We use clear packing tape on both sides of the luggage tags to reinforce them. We call it "ghetto lamination." If we are flying, we'll take the little tape roll in a suitcase. If we are going to our local neighborhood Port Everglades, we'll complete the tape loop at home. We keep a scissors with TSA approved blade length in our suitcase for removing the tags once we're in our room.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, oakridger said:

@countdephotos   I use tags like these.  Amazon has several different types. I gave some to my cruising companions a couple of times.  They liked them too!  Keeps tags dry and intact.  I put them on before leaving to go to the port....after the flight.

image.png.d9109b1ed4679bc1992b20e16a044c05.png

Ditto - these are great, easier & quicker than staples or tape. But any method that gets them on AFTER your flight is your goal.

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

We use the type posted by Oakridger.  They are very inexpensive & reusable.  But if you order them, make note of the size you need & order accordingly.  The ones I ordered originally were the wrong size & had to send them back.  

• Like 2