Singapore: Travel Tips, Trends? Ideas & Insights?

TLCOhio

On 7/20/2023 at 1:56 AM, agape01 said:

During this period there's a massive crowd in the marina bay area due to a national rehearsal of Singapore's national day happening on the 9th August.  There will be some flyby and a fireworks show.   All of this is happening on the 29th July between 4pm to 9pm.

Appreciate these great follow-ups and the super helpful kindness from agape01.  Wonderfully supportive.  Lots going on in Singapore with the National Day upcoming.   

From CNN, the cable news network, earlier this past week, they had this headline: Asia’s best bars for 2023 with these highlights: “The winningest city in Asia was Singapore, which had a whopping 11 bars in the top 50.  The list is based on the votes of the Asia’s 50 Best Bars Academy, which is made up of members of the bar industry, media and mixology experts in the region.”

From this Asia’s 50 Best Bars 2023 listing, here are the eleven ranked in order for Asia that are from Singapore:
2. Jigger & Pony (Singapore)
7. Nutmeg and Clove (Singapore)
10. Sago House (Singapore)
15. Analogue Initiative (Singapore)
16. Republic (Singapore)
21. Manhattan (Singapore)
24. 28 HongKong Street (Singapore)
27. Atlas (Singapore)
30. Employees Only (Singapore)
32. Stay Gold Flamingo (Singapore)
42. Native (Singapore)

Personally, I am not that big of a "Bar Guy", but it is interesting that Singapore does this well.  Anyone know these locations, have added details/insights to share, etc.?

Full story at:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/asia-best-bars-2023-intl-hnk/index.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Kotor/Montenegro:  Various visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this scenic, historic location. Over 51,985 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

8 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

From CNN, the cable news network, earlier this past week, they had this headline: Asia’s best bars for 2023 with these highlights: “The winningest city in Asia was Singapore, which had a whopping 11 bars in the top 50.  The list is based on the votes of the Asia’s 50 Best Bars Academy, which is made up of members of the bar industry, media and mixology experts in the region.”

From this Asia’s 50 Best Bars 2023 listing, here are the eleven ranked in order for Asia that are from Singapore:
2. Jigger & Pony (Singapore)
7. Nutmeg and Clove (Singapore)
10. Sago House (Singapore)
15. Analogue Initiative (Singapore)
16. Republic (Singapore)
21. Manhattan (Singapore)
24. 28 HongKong Street (Singapore)
27. Atlas (Singapore)
30. Employees Only (Singapore)
32. Stay Gold Flamingo (Singapore)
42. Native (Singapore)

Personally, I am not that big of a "Bar Guy", but it is interesting that Singapore does this well.  Anyone know these locations, have added details/insights to share, etc.?

Full story at:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/asia-best-bars-2023-intl-hnk/index.html

Kotor/Montenegro:  Various visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this scenic, historic location. Over 51,985 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Well, most of these locations have webpages and you can easily find them on google and googlemaps. Who knows some of them might be close to your hotel.

21 hours ago, agape01 said:

Well, most of these locations have webpages and you can easily find them on google and googlemaps. Who knows some of them might be close to your hotel.

Agree on your follow-up.  Will check out the bars, etc., nearby to our JW Marriott Hotel.  Fun to research and plan ahead using the Google Maps features to explore and check out options.   

From Condé Nast Traveler magazine, they had this headline: 23 Best Things to Do in Singapore" with this sub-headline:  "The cost of admission is high, but this is one place you'll never be bored.

Here are some of their reporting highlights: “It may be the one of the most expensive cities in the world, but Singapore has racked up plenty of other superlatives: cleanest, best planned, and, quite possibly, most entertaining. The Lion City is home to the largest rooftop infinity pool, the world's first safari park for nocturnal animals, centuries-old temples and, of course, some of the best food on the planet. You'll also find extraordinary gardens, impressive architecture, world-class performance venues, and shopping streets. The city-state offers a fascinating melding of the old and new, the historic and the modern.”

This is their summary for the high-rated Gardens By the Bay:  "This is a hugely popular tourist attraction in Singapore, and rightly so. The breadth of plants and the creative ways in which they're displayed is awe-inspiring. In one part of the conservatory, the Cloud Forest mimics the cool-moist ecology of the tropical highlands. It has a treetop walk and an oft-photographed indoor 114-foot waterfall." 

Full story at:

https://www.cntraveler.com/gallery/best-things-to-do-in-singapore

Dubrovnik!  Visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this super scenic and historic location. Over 50,083 views.    

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

From MSN News and CBS-TV this past week by Simrin Singh, they had this headline: Singapore's passport dethrones Japan as world's most powerful with these highlights:The Southeast Asian country's citizenship document officially ranks as the most powerful in the world, according to the latest Henley Passport Index.   According to the index, Singaporeans can travel to 192 out of 227 travel destinations in the world without a visa.   In a 'major shake-up,' Singapore beat out Japan, which has ranked No. 1 on the index for the last five years. In comparison, the U.S. was quite a bit lower on the index, dropping down a spot from last year to eighth place, tied with Lithuania, with 184 travel destinations without a visa.

Interesting to see Singapore in the news and being ranked so high.

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/singapores-passport-dethrones-japan-as-worlds-most-powerful/ar-AA1e6dGn

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 33,606 views.  Many pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

• Like 1

I love Singapore.  Besides what you have planned, we enjoyed the Battle Box, a China town museum, and the Botanical Gardens.  The shopping is amazing as well as the food.  Get pepper crab and dumplings.  Public transportation is easy to use and clean.  

13 hours ago, ddpe said:

I love Singapore.  Besides what you have planned, we enjoyed the Battle Box, a China town museum, and the Botanical Gardens.  The shopping is amazing as well as the food.  Get pepper crab and dumplings.  Public transportation is easy to use and clean.  

Appreciate these great, above comments and follow-ups.  Keep it coming.  Excellent sharing. 

From the London/UK Guardian last month, they had this headline: Singapore bids farewell to horse racing to free up land for housing" with this sub-headline:  "City-state is to close its only turf club in order to redevelop 120-hectare site for public housing amid declining popularity of the sport.

Here are more of their reporting highlights:More than 180 years of horse racing in Singapore will soon come to an end, as the 'land scarce' city state closes its only race course to make space for public housing.  The final race meeting will take place on 5 October 2024, when the club holds its 100th Grand Singapore Gold Cup. The site will then be handed back to the government in 2027 for redevelopment.

Clearly, horse racing is not what it used to be.  BUT, land is also very limited and valuable in Singapore.  Interesting background.  

Full story at:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/08/singapore-bids-farewell-to-horse-racing-to-free-up-land-for-housing

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 32,154 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

21 hours ago, russianmom said:

Enjoying this thread and all of the info. We have about 24 hours in Singapore before we head on to Bali to board our cruise. 

Appreciate this great comment and follow-up.  Yes, if only 24 hours for Singapore, you need to do your research and homework in order to maximize the experiences and options there.  Glad we will have three days at the end of our cruise from India to sample the many potentials in this area.   

From MSN News in late July, they had this headline: Headed to Singapore? Don't miss these unforgettable attractions with these highlights: “One of the most popular travel destinations, Singapore is well known for its skyscrapers and modern lifestyle. A country with one of the least stringent entry requirements, Singapore is home to a diverse population with a mix of Chinese, Malay and Indian influences along with a tropical climate. Major attractions include Marina Bay Sands Singapore, Gardens by the Bay, Singapore Botanic Gardens, and the world-famous Universal Studios.”

Here is what they say about Gardens by The Bay:  "This vibrantly colourful park is located in the bay area of Singapore. Spanning an area of around 101 hectares, this park is divided into three waterfront gardens: Bay South Garden, Bay East Garden and Bay Central Garden. Home to the magnificent Supertree structures, it is worth a visit."

They also shared this about wandering around the Singapore Botanic Gardens:  "The Singapore Botanic Garden is the first and only tropical botanic garden to be on UNESCO's World Heritage List. The 162-year-old garden is a world-class scientific institution for research, conservation and education and is known for its landscapes, flora and colonial structures."

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/travel/tripideas/headed-to-singapore-dont-miss-these-unforgettable-attractions/ss-AA1ebFXa

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 21,957 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

I recommend taking a picture with Merlion.  I also visited the main mosque and a Hindu temple. If you’ve already visited the Hindu temple in TX, it’s much different.  More color.  I found Singapore easy to navigate-but then I land travel a lot.  There’s a HOHO in Singapore if you don’t want to walk too much. Drink plenty of water.  It’s hot.

Edited by tw0sugar5

4 hours ago, tw0sugar5 said:

I recommend taking a picture with Merlion.  I also visited the main mosque and a Hindu temple. If you’ve already visited the Hindu temple in TX, it’s much different.  More color.  I found Singapore easy to navigate-but then I land travel a lot.  There’s a HOHO in Singapore if you don’t want to walk too much. Drink plenty of water.  It’s hot.

Great to know that you've enjoyed your time in Singapore before the cruise starts.

• Like 1

Can I just add that you can eat cheaply in Singapore. Most shopping malls have a food court in the basement with a wide variety of options. Think burgers, Chinese, Japanese, pizza, Thai and more …. It’s all available. For a quick eat at a cheap price you will be spoilt for choice!

Enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/3/2023 at 3:38 PM, Kristal Blade said:

Can I just add that you can eat cheaply in Singapore. Most shopping malls have a food court in the basement with a wide variety of options. Think burgers, Chinese, Japanese, pizza, Thai and more …. It’s all available. For a quick eat at a cheap price you will be spoilt for choice!  Enjoy.

Appreciate the above and other great comments and follow-ups related to Singapore.  Keep it coming.  Very interesting and helpful.    

From Yahoo News two days ago, they had this headline: Singapore's New Attraction 'Trifecta' Offers Snowboarding, Surfing, and Skating Under One Roof with these highlights: “Singapore is about to redefine sports attractions with the grand opening of Trifecta on October 28th. Located in Singapore, Trifecta introduces an experience for enthusiasts of skateboarding, surfing, skiing, and snowboarding. The snow arena features virtual reality ski simulators, a freestyle area with airbags and slopes, while the surf arena boasts Asia's largest standing wave pool.”

Not sure in coming from a Midwest U.S. winter and at my age that these are my highest personal priorities.  But, interested that these will be offered in Singapore.  Seems like a "happening" place, right?

Full story at:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/singapores-attraction-trifecta-offers-snowboarding-000936008.html

Canada 2022/2023: Scenic visuals, details from Canada Maritimes (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island).  Plus, new from Aug. 2023, exploring historic/charming Quebec City.    Visual/Info Summaries:

www.flickr.com/photos/196555480@N08/albums

Thanks for starting this thread Terry and for Agape’s recommendations. We will be in Singapore for a few days before our Oceania cruise and want to see much more of it than I saw in 2010.  It is a wonderful city with so much to enjoy.  I will say we were disappointed with the night Safari. It was very crowded with lighting that prevented decent photos of the animals. It was also frustrating that even though we were repeatedly told not to use flash, people kept doing it. This not only affected the animals, but it messed up our night vision.  

9 hours ago, MVPinBoynton said:

Thanks for starting this thread Terry and for Agape’s recommendations. We will be in Singapore for a few days before our Oceania cruise and want to see much more of it than I saw in 2010.  It is a wonderful city with so much to enjoy.  I will say we were disappointed with the night Safari. It was very crowded with lighting that prevented decent photos of the animals. It was also frustrating that even though we were repeatedly told not to use flash, people kept doing it. This not only affected the animals, but it messed up our night vision.  

I would agree that the Night Safari is not for everyone when it comes to photography. I use the night safari to test how capable cameras and lenses can be. 

278549129_10158189030560458_6915541147554143276_n.thumb.jpg.e284c983878bb027a8eee45cda919ec4.jpg278246603_10158189030655458_876167946100515113_n.thumb.jpg.44d99f66eacec4b6313333b1a85edf4e.jpg278632736_10158189030530458_8572199543085095940_n.thumb.jpg.b4ad4b2a9faf665e65a453574bc9fec7.jpg
278599559_10158189030440458_242107096865690799_n.thumb.jpg.381dd9c852b810ad47c260fe928e99cb.jpg346811554_282495424201602_282525423274183530_n.thumb.jpg.3c9600d3d97c9088c3da0209dbbe827b.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/29/2023 at 10:14 PM, agape01 said:

I would agree that the Night Safari is not for everyone when it comes to photography. I use the night safari to test how capable cameras and lenses can be. 

Appreciate these great visuals, comments and follow-up about the "Night Safari" option in Singapore.  Very helpful!!!  Keep it coming.  Great sharing.  Given my interest in photography, this might be an interesting challenge and opportunity.  BUT, I am not sure if it is worth it.  The tigers look wonderful in these pictures.  My camera can shoot with a high ISO level, however, the visuals of them would be much better if done with the best lighting and lots of sunshine.   Lots of great options to consider in Singapore!!  Will keep researching and seeking to learn more. 

From the Condé Nast Traveler magazine, I found this article with this headline: 24 Best Hotels in Singapore."   It had this sub-headline: "With dozens of hotels opening in the last couple years there's never been a better time to visit.   Two hotels of interest were cited in this 2019 profile.  

For the JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach, they had these highlights: “Hip, happening, buzzy. The lobby is full of installations and furniture that doubles as art, like a floor-to-ceiling digital display and antique tables encased within modern glass tables. This is one funky Marriott for tech execs (Facebook has its office on the same property), business folks, and well-traveled couples. The interiors are Phillippe Starck and look it. Bottom line: You will fee cool staying here.”

For the Raffles Singapore, they had these highlights: “It can’t be easy being a living legend, a global icon, an object of universal reverence. What happens when, eventually, you have to renovate and possibly even change? In the case of Raffles Singapore, you do so in a way that appears effortless and natural. The good news at this 133-year-old classic is that all that was irreplaceable has been preserved, down to the wicker chairs and ceiling fans that provide so much ambience.”

Why of interest?  We are booked for two nights at a good rate at the JW Marriott after our Mumbai to Singapore, 18-day cruise.  Good location and interesting facilities, etc.  And, it is right across the street from the Raffles.  That makes it handy to explore that famed, historic hotel.  

Full story at:

https://www.cntraveler.com/gallery/best-hotels-in-singapore

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals, Our firsts in these scenic areas!  Now at 19,781 views. Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

10 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate these great visuals, comments and follow-up about the "Night Safari" option in Singapore.  Very helpful!!!  Keep it coming.  Great sharing.  Given my interest in photography, this might be an interesting challenge and opportunity.  BUT, I am not sure if it is worth it.  The tigers look wonderful in these pictures.  My camera can shoot with a high ISO level, however, the visuals of them would be much better if done with the best lighting and lots of sunshine.   Lots of great options to consider in Singapore!!  Will keep researching and seeking to learn more. 

I have brought people learning photography from me to the night safari once as a place to learn how to take pictures at night. At the end, I realized that this location would only suit photographers who are at a advanced level and not for those who are just starting out.

2 hours ago, Dobby36 said:

Thanks for sharing the article, @TLCOhio ! we picked the Ritz Carlton for our stay in a few months, primarily for its location with views of the bay and steps from Raffles.  Looking forward to exploring.  The JW sounds like an excellent option too!

Just note that the Ritz Carlton has got two views. One view will be facing the marina bay area while the other view faces the back which is called the Kallang.

Make sure that your reservation is the one that faces the city.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dobby36 said:

Thanks for sharing the article, @TLCOhio ! we picked the Ritz Carlton for our stay in a few months, primarily for its location with views of the bay and steps from Raffles.  Looking forward to exploring.  The JW sounds like an excellent option too!

Great that our San Diego friend has an upcoming trip to Singapore.  After your visit, try to post here about your biggest surprises, what you loved most, any tips and suggestions, etc.  

From that same Condé Nast Traveler magazine profile, they had these details for the Ritz-Carlton, Millenia Singapore: “The lobby will make you feel like you're in the Crystal Palace at the 1851 World's Fair and the rooms are luxurious in an old school sort of way. If you're a fan of classic pampering it doesn't get better than this: a plush room with the country's most iconic view of Marina Bay (and the Sands' nightly light show), and the convenience of being connected to one of Singapore's prime tourist areas. There's even a direct linkway to the Millenia Walk mall.”

Many, many top luxury hotels in Singapore.  Seems that most of the"bIg names" are there.  Your Ritz-Carlton is three blocks from our JW Marriott.  

Full story at:

https://www.cntraveler.com/gallery/best-hotels-in-singapore

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, agape01 said:

Just note that the Ritz Carlton has got two views. One view will be facing the marina bay area while the other view faces the back which is called the Kallang.

Make sure that your reservation is the one that faces the city.

Thank you for the note! Yes, they did have room rátes that specifically included bay views and we splurged on one. (It’s our honeymoon, so why not!?) 

• Like 1

16 hours ago,  krrgolf said: 

Terry,  We have been to Singapore several times - lovely city. Lots to see and do - things to see in no order of priority -

1. Singapore Flyer (The Wheel) - if you can book a flight ( lasts about 30 mins) to coincide with sunset ( around 7pm but check) the transition from daylight to Singapore at night in 10 minutes is amazing.

2. Botanical Gardens - the Orchids are incredible.

3. Marina Bay - check out the Marina Bay Hotel And go up to the Observation Garden at the top - incredible view of Singapore.

4. Singapore Railway Station (actually owned by Malaysia! It’s like a scene out of the 1930, Agatha Christie film set. We did a train journey from there to Bangkok ( 2 nights on the Orient Express.

5.Raffles Hotel - visit the Long Bar for a Singapore Sling - you won’t be disappointed. Afternoon tea was a bit of a let down to be honest.

6. Chinatown area - so colourful and fabulous food.

I could carry one - you will have to spend your time wisely - it is an incredible city.  Enjoy! I’m sure you will.

Expand  

From a post on another CC board, above is a list of suggested potentials for Singapore from Keith in the UK.  Appreciate his sharing and am posting here on the Asian ports CC section.  Lots to consider and do in Singapore!!  Don't be shy with any other ideas, tips and insights.  Love learning and hearing added ideas and suggestions.  Keep it coming!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Early 2020, many visuals and details from New Zealand/South Pacific in going from Auckland to French Polynesia.  This includes Bora Bora, Fiji, NZ experiences, etc:  Live/blog:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2735732-live-terryohio-“new”-regatta-south-pacificnz-pix’s/

52 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:
Keep it coming!!

We lived in S'pore for a few months. It should be added about the climate. Imagine the hottest, most humid July day at home in Columbus, Ohio. Now imagine the heat even more oppressive. That is the climate every day. Pace yourself. It is common for locals to do things in the morning, then come out again in the evening. It can be very draining to be out and about mid-day.

Pasar Malam, (Night Markets) are fun!  Enjoy your trip!

Edited by mtnesterz

On 9/11/2023 at 10:29 AM, mtnesterz said:

We lived in S'pore for a few months. It should be added about the climate. Imagine the hottest, most humid July day at home in Columbus, Ohio. Now imagine the heat even more oppressive. That is the climate every day. Pace yourself. It is common for locals to do things in the morning, then come out again in the evening. It can be very draining to be out and about mid-day.  Pasar Malam, (Night Markets) are fun!  Enjoy your trip!

Great above insights about the weather/humidity warnings/cautions from our friend in California.  Also,, like the night market idea.  Great sharing.  Keep it coming!!  All very helpful.   

Per several web sources, the best time to visit Singapore is from December to June. The months of February to April fall within Singapore's dryer season and is generally when the country has a smaller amount of rain, lower humidity and the most sunshine.  Per Weather Underground, on March 1, average high of 88.3F and a low of 74.7F.  We will be there Feb. 28 to March 2, 2024.

Canada 2022/2023: Scenic visuals, details from Canada Maritimes (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island).  Plus, new from Aug. 2023, exploring historic/charming Quebec City.    Visual/Info Summaries:

www.flickr.com/photos/196555480@N08/albums