Singapore: Travel Tips, Trends? Ideas & Insights?

TLCOhio

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

Per several web sources, the best time to visit Singapore is from December to June. The months of February to April fall within Singapore's dryer season and is generally when the country has a smaller amount of rain, lower humidity and the most sunshine.  Per Weather Underground, on March 1, average high of 88.3F and a low of 74.7F.  We will be there Feb. 28 to March 2, 2024.

The good thing about this period is that  the monsoon season is about to be over that means less rainy days. The bad thing about this is that the average temp would be in the high 80s with a humidity level of at least 80+%.

Keeping oneself hydrated is important other than running from one air conditioned location to the other.😁 

On 9/12/2023 at 3:11 PM, agape01 said:

The good thing about this period is that  the monsoon season is about to be over that means less rainy days. The bad thing about this is that the average temp would be in the high 80s with a humidity level of at least 80+%.    Keeping oneself hydrated is important other than running from one air conditioned location to the other.😁 

Per the previous wise comments and interesting follow-up about the heat and humidity in Singapore, I thought this highly-detailed article from the New York Times today would be of interest to share here.  

They had this headline: How to Cool Down a City" with this sub-headline on a story by Pablo Robles, Josh Holder and Jeremy White:  "Singapore is rethinking its sweltering urban areas to dampen the effects of climate change. Can it be a model?

There were some great graphics in connection with this article.  This includes this interesting visual from Singapore, among many used, to illustrate what this nation/state has accomplished: 

image.thumb.png.2d05108c8d99236ee05155097ccebef6.png

Here are some of their reporting highlights: “Pockets of downtown Singapore can be more than 10 degrees Fahrenheit hotter than rural areas outside the city.  That’s because almost every aspect of how we build cities amplifies heat, from the buildings we live in to the cars we drive.  But unlike most cities, Singapore is spending enormous resources to try to cool itself down — and learning lessons that could help other cities.  Singapore’s prime minister has reason to worry: Stifling temperatures and humidity already last all year, and the city-state has warmed at twice the global average over the past six decades.  Heat like this isn’t just uncomfortable.  Rapid urbanization has made Singapore hotter. A big part of the problem is how almost every global city is built.

Many aspects are outlined as to how Singapore has used trees, plants and building design/lay-out to improve air flow and lessen urban heat build-up.  

Also shared was: "Singapore is also encouraging the integration of greenery directly into buildings by offering financial incentives for rooftop gardens and vertical green facades. The foliage works as natural blinds, shading the structure and insulating the building’s material from the heat, reducing the need for air conditioning."

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/09/18/world/asia/singapore-heat.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 256,955 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1362155-solstice-livefirst-timer-reportspix’s-italycroatian-june-7-19/

18 hours ago,  UKCruiseJeff said: 

Thanks Terry.

1.  Botanical Gardens and the Orchid Garden.

2.  Satay street at Lau Pa Sat EVERY evening for 40 mixed sticks and a jug of Tiger from a Tiger “Aunty”.

3.  Gardens By the Bat at niight for  the two light shows. 

4.  Tiong Bahru hosing estate and the hawker center.  Don’t over think.  It’s all cheap simply try everything and in particular stuff you thin you should never eat.  You will be suprised. 

5.  Chinatown food complex.  Hundreds of stalls missed by almost all tourists.  Try anything but if in doubt join a queue.  Enjoy     Jeff

Expand  

Above are some very helpful follow-ups and suggestions from Jeff in the UK.  He's experienced from many lengthy visits to this fascinating nation/state.  

I already had the Botanical and Orchid Gardens on the priority list, plus the night light shows.  The others are very interesting and helpful.  Am sharing these tips and ideas on this Singapore thread on the Asian CC Board.  

For any others with Singapore experiences, don't be shy in sharing more insights and potentials.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 248,737 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

11 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

18 hours ago,  UKCruiseJeff said: 

Thanks Terry.

1.  Botanical Gardens and the Orchid Garden.

2.  Satay street at Lau Pa Sat EVERY evening for 40 mixed sticks and a jug of Tiger from a Tiger “Aunty”.

3.  Gardens By the Bat at niight for  the two light shows. 

4.  Tiong Bahru hosing estate and the hawker center.  Don’t over think.  It’s all cheap simply try everything and in particular stuff you thin you should never eat.  You will be suprised. 

5.  Chinatown food complex.  Hundreds of stalls missed by almost all tourists.  Try anything but if in doubt join a queue.  Enjoy     Jeff

Expand  

I already had the Botanical and Orchid Gardens on the priority list, plus the night light shows.  The others are very interesting and helpful.  Am sharing these tips and ideas on this Singapore thread on the Asian CC Board.  

The walk from the front entrance to Orchid Gardens is quite a stroll in 80+ degree temperature. You might consider taking a cab stating that you're heading to Orchid Gardens at the Botanic Gardens.

7 hours ago, mcgilldj said:

We will be arriving in Singapore on the Oceania Insignia. The Insignia is a small ship and is able to dock at ports closer to city centers. Does anyone know which of the two Singapore ports, the Insignia will dock at?

There are 2 cruise ports that cruise lines uses in Singapore. Large Cruise ships would most likely use the Marina Bay Cruise Centre.

https://mbccs.com.sg/

Little did I know  and after finding out that the other cruise terminal at HarbourFront is also in use. That cruise terminal is called Singapore Cruise Centre

https://singaporecruise.com.sg/

Most likely Oceania would be using this one as Oceania's webpage is on this port's website.

Also this port is also used by Silversea.

Hello Terry,

I’m a little late to this party but now that I am back home here are my thoughts on what you asked in another thread.

1.     Among the "usual suspects" for the top Singapore attractions, what are you favorites for first-time visitors??  Pluses and minuses for Gardens by the Bay, Little India, Buddha Temple, Arab Quarter, Colonial District, Merlion Park, China Town, Orchid Garden, etc.??  We are doing a ship's evening Light-and-Sound Show tour with boat ride, etc.

Considering your stay in India before coming to Singapore I think you can safely skip Little India and the Arab Quarter.

The Buddha Tooth Relic Temple, to give it its full name,  is a new building and I would say more relevant to devotees. It is right in the middle of Chinatown and opposite the Touristy Maxwell Food Centre so you might see in in passing anyway. It is hard to miss. If you are interested in culture and history there is the Sri Mariamman Hindu Temple, nearby between Pagoda and Temple Street. For a more culturally important Taoist Temple, Thian Hock Keng is the one to visit.

This leaves Gardens by the Bay and the Orchid Garden. They are iconic Singapore destinations. Note that the National Orchid Garden is part of the original Botanic Gardens located more centrally in Singapore and not on the reclaimed land where Gardens by the Bay have been constructed. That being said the Orchid Garden has recently been renovated and is well worth a visit, though I would still put it after the two conservatories (Flower Dome and Cloud Forest Dome) in Gardens by the Bay. The Cloud Forest in particular has a large variety of orchids so if pressed for time you might consider skipping the Orchid Garden if you already are visiting the Cloud Forest.

2. What are the less well-known locations that offer insights as to the "real life" for people who live day-to-day in Singapore?

3. Any special favorite dining locations that are fun, very tasty and interesting?  No interested in the over-priced "designer food" locations that get the media fawning.  Real places with good food!!

My answer to these two questions can be combined: visit a more “heartland” hawker centre. The Old Airport Road Food Centre is a good compromise. It is still inside the central core but surrounded by public housing rather than commercial developments. And about as “real” as you can get to Singapore food. It is a 5 minute walk from either Mountbatten or Dakota MRT stations on the circle line which you can get on at Esplanade station, which connects to South Beach where the JW Marriot is located. This way you get to experience the Singapore Mass Transit System as well as see what public housing where 78% of Singaporean live looks like. You can always take a cab back after dinner if you’ve had enough adventure for the day. It’s not a long drive and shouldn’t cost very much. Oh any card with the PayWave symbol including Apple or Google Pay will work on public transport. Bus and MRT. You need one device or card per person though. On the bus you tap on and off, on MRT you tap to go through the gantries.

I would say Singapore has the most diverse culinary culture and you can get decent to very good examples of all the major and quite a few minor cuisines of the world. The typical Singaporean diet is all about change and variety. You can try this fun exercise on Google Maps. Go to the Singapore map and type in “<country name> food” and see what pops up.

What we miss most about Singapore food is not just a particular dish that only grandma can make but the wide variety available.

NB Please reconsider visiting any hawker centre during the day. They are not airconditioned and there is a high chance the heat will be uncomfortable to unbearable. Once evening comes it becomes bearable but still warm. Early mornings are also good if you want to see some breakfast dishes. (Also, Beach Road Kitchen at the JW Marriot serves up acceptable facsimiles.) I think Old Airport Road is better for dinner.

4. Any overlooked and/or undiscovered "stars" in Singapore to consider?

I’m surprised no one in this thread has mentioned the otters. Even though Singapore is very urban our efforts to green Singapore have paid off with a boom in urban wildlife. Most famous and cutest of all are our otters. Type in “Singapore otters” on YouTube.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, photosg said:

Hello Terry,  I’m a little late to this party but now that I am back home here are my thoughts on what you asked in another thread.

1.     Among the "usual suspects" for the top Singapore attractions, what are you favorites for first-time visitors??  Pluses and minuses for Gardens by the Bay, Little India, Buddha Temple, Arab Quarter, Colonial District, Merlion Park, China Town, Orchid Garden, etc.??  We are doing a ship's evening Light-and-Sound Show tour with boat ride, etc.

Considering your stay in India before coming to Singapore I think you can safely skip Little India and the Arab Quarter.

The Buddha Tooth Relic Temple, to give it its full name,  is a new building and I would say more relevant to devotees. It is right in the middle of Chinatown and opposite the Touristy Maxwell Food Centre so you might see in in passing anyway. It is hard to miss. If you are interested in culture and history there is the Sri Mariamman Hindu Temple, nearby between Pagoda and Temple Street. For a more culturally important Taoist Temple, Thian Hock Keng is the one to visit.

This leaves Gardens by the Bay and the Orchid Garden. They are iconic Singapore destinations. Note that the National Orchid Garden is part of the original Botanic Gardens located more centrally in Singapore and not on the reclaimed land where Gardens by the Bay have been constructed. That being said the Orchid Garden has recently been renovated and is well worth a visit, though I would still put it after the two conservatories (Flower Dome and Cloud Forest Dome) in Gardens by the Bay. The Cloud Forest in particular has a large variety of orchids so if pressed for time you might consider skipping the Orchid Garden if you already are visiting the Cloud Forest.

2. What are the less well-known locations that offer insights as to the "real life" for people who live day-to-day in Singapore?

3. Any special favorite dining locations that are fun, very tasty and interesting?  No interested in the over-priced "designer food" locations that get the media fawning.  Real places with good food!!

My answer to these two questions can be combined: visit a more “heartland” hawker centre. The Old Airport Road Food Centre is a good compromise. It is still inside the central core but surrounded by public housing rather than commercial developments. And about as “real” as you can get to Singapore food. It is a 5 minute walk from either Mountbatten or Dakota MRT stations on the circle line which you can get on at Esplanade station, which connects to South Beach where the JW Marriot is located. This way you get to experience the Singapore Mass Transit System as well as see what public housing where 78% of Singaporean live looks like. You can always take a cab back after dinner if you’ve had enough adventure for the day. It’s not a long drive and shouldn’t cost very much. Oh any card with the PayWave symbol including Apple or Google Pay will work on public transport. Bus and MRT. You need one device or card per person though. On the bus you tap on and off, on MRT you tap to go through the gantries.

I would say Singapore has the most diverse culinary culture and you can get decent to very good examples of all the major and quite a few minor cuisines of the world. The typical Singaporean diet is all about change and variety. You can try this fun exercise on Google Maps. Go to the Singapore map and type in “<country name> food” and see what pops up.

What we miss most about Singapore food is not just a particular dish that only grandma can make but the wide variety available.

NB Please reconsider visiting any hawker centre during the day. They are not airconditioned and there is a high chance the heat will be uncomfortable to unbearable. Once evening comes it becomes bearable but still warm. Early mornings are also good if you want to see some breakfast dishes. (Also, Beach Road Kitchen at the JW Marriot serves up acceptable facsimiles.) I think Old Airport Road is better for dinner.

4. Any overlooked and/or undiscovered "stars" in Singapore to consider?

I’m surprised no one in this thread has mentioned the otters. Even though Singapore is very urban our efforts to green Singapore have paid off with a boom in urban wildlife. Most famous and cutest of all are our otters. Type in “Singapore otters” on YouTube.

Super appreciate these above great comments, suggestions and follow-up from Photosg in Singapore.  Such substance and background was well worth the wait till the completion of your long cruise.   This works for excellent sharing here.  Will need to dig deeper and see what additional questions that I have.  For others, don't be shy with your inquiries and info desires. 

Also, as always, agape01 continues to contribute in a wonderful way.  This thread is working well and providing such a great range and variety of helpful information.  Keep it coming!!

Good mention for the Beach Road Kitchen at the JW Marriot where we will be staying in Singapore.  

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 245,589 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

• Like 1

I don't deny that Old Airport is a very heartland  hawker center, but I would also advise on two other spots which are somewhat nearer to the JW Marriot. One would be Lau Pa Sat and the other would be Zion Riverside Food Centre. Lau Pa Sat is close to the JW Marriott and it does have most of the iconic foods that Singapore is known for namely Satay, Grilled seafood. Most of all it would give you a old Singapore hawker center feel which is tables are set up on the road and diners would just order what they want; sit down to eat. As for Zion Riverside Food Centre, it is close to the Orchard Rd belt and it is walking distance to Great World City stop. The main reason why I am suggesting this place is because as you cross the traffic light into the food centre, you will see a long line of people lining up for the most Iconic Singaporean Dish which is Char Kuay Teow. The stall selling their version of char kuay teow is rumored to the best in the country. I would go there for a late lunch at maybe 1pm or a early dinner at 530pm. This is to avoid the long lines.

Not forgetting what photosg said earlier about the 
Buddha Tooth Relic Temple, you could also visit Chinatown Complex which is right behind the temple. There are lots of local foods there and the stalls are located in two separate floors. Again, something to consider.

As for looking out for Urban wildlife in my city state, I would say that it is by luck you will see them and the wildlife that I am referring to is the Asian Clawed Otter. I have seen them more often at the Botanic Gardens than at Marina Bay or along the Singapore River. However, if you are really into seeing wildlife, you could take a cab to Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve where you could see the Salt Water Crocodile and other wildlife that lives in the park. Please do take caution and be well hydrated if you choose to visit.  

• Like 2

On 10/1/2023 at 12:43 AM, agape01 said:

I don't deny that Old Airport is a very heartland  hawker center, but I would also advise on two other spots which are somewhat nearer to the JW Marriot. One would be Lau Pa Sat and the other would be Zion Riverside Food Centre. Lau Pa Sat is close to the JW Marriott and it does have most of the iconic foods that Singapore is known for namely Satay, Grilled seafood. Most of all it would give you a old Singapore hawker center feel which is tables are set up on the road and diners would just order what they want; sit down to eat. As for Zion Riverside Food Centre, it is close to the Orchard Rd belt and it is walking distance to Great World City stop. The main reason why I am suggesting this place is because as you cross the traffic light into the food centre, you will see a long line of people lining up for the most Iconic Singaporean Dish which is Char Kuay Teow. The stall selling their version of char kuay teow is rumored to the best in the country. I would go there for a late lunch at maybe 1pm or a early dinner at 530pm. This is to avoid the long lines.

Appreciate these great additional background insights, comments and follow-up from our Singapore friend.  Wonderful additional ideas and options.  Keep it coming!!  

From the London/UK Telegraph this past week, they had this headline: How Singapore discovered the secret to a longer life" with this sub-headline:  "With an average life expectancy of nearly 84, the residents of this city-state can teach us a thing or two about longevity.

Here are some of their reporting highlights starting with the author Michelle Jana Chan's long-living uncle as she noted who is: “not that exceptional in Singapore, which has just been named the sixth Blue Zone in the world, nominated as having one of the 'healthiest, longest-living populations'.

Here uncle just celebrated his 101st birthday.  Here is more from her report: "Singapore, with a population of just under 6 million, is different, because it’s 'engineered' longevity. The impressive statistics for Singapore – a bustling metropolitan city-state with one of the highest population densities in the world – is more down to public policy, This includes good housing, reliable public transport and a lauded healthcare system. Wholesome food is subsidised and there are free community activities for the elderly. It turns out the healthiest choice is often the cheapest. Crime is rare.  Nobody gets burgled in Singapore. That peace of mind is worth a lot, especially to the vulnerable and elderly.  Around dawn, elderly locals congregate here to exercise before the heat of the day.  Another public place to watch Singapore’s nonagenarians and centenarians in action is at the hawker centres, the city’s renowned open-air hubs of affordable street food."

Interesting background about Singapore and aging.  Especially for those of us who are "Baby Boomers" and "seasoned citizens".  Right?

Full story at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/asia/singapore/how-singapore-became-the-worlds-newest-blue-zone/

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 107,189 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

On 7/16/2023 at 12:43 PM, agape01 said:

Well, generally about Raffles Hotel and Singapore you might want to watch this hollywood comedy called Crazy Rich Asians. This is where the protagonists of the movie stayed.

Yes, remember your excellent, earlier suggestion for getting and watching the Hollywood movie called "Crazy Rich Asian".   Just completed watching it this evening.  Fun, colorful, interesting, etc.  It kind of had a "Happy Ending" after many family challenges, twists and turns.  Was it a comedy or drama?  Lots of fancy homes, clothing and settings.  PLUS, most important, it was exciting to see many of the famous outdoor and night settings, buildings, etc., that make Singapore desirable to visit.  

image.thumb.png.26baed1a2e90340b1beec224f53ac7e3.png

Our Singapore friend also shared later: "When you're done with that movie, let's talk more."  Look forward to hearing and learning more.  

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 73,036 views:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2076101-live-amazon-river-caribbean-many-pix’s-terryohio/

2 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Yes, remember your excellent, earlier suggestion for getting and watching the Hollywood movie called "Crazy Rich Asian".   Just completed watching it this evening.  Fun, colorful, interesting, etc.  It kind of had a "Happy Ending" after many family challenges, twists and turns.  Was it a comedy or drama?  Lots of fancy homes, clothing and settings.  PLUS, most important, it was exciting to see many of the famous outdoor and night settings, buildings, etc., that make Singapore desirable to visit.  

image.thumb.png.26baed1a2e90340b1beec224f53ac7e3.png

Our Singapore friend also shared later: "When you're done with that movie, let's talk more."  Look forward to hearing and learning more.  

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 73,036 views:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2076101-live-amazon-river-caribbean-many-pix’s-terryohio/

Where the couple lived was at the Raffles Hotel.

The night celebrations was at Gardens By The Bay.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, agape01 said:

Where the couple lived was at the Raffles Hotel.   The night celebrations was at Gardens By The Bay.

Appreciate these great details and follow-up from our super helpful Singapore friend.  Great background and specifics.  

I did assume that the Gardens by the Bay were used much in this film for a variety of scenes.  At the end, I recognized this movie using the sky-high, roof-top pool at the Marina Bay Sands.    Also below is a visual I found on-line for the Chijmes, where Colin and Araminta's wedding takes place.

image.thumb.png.da16327211fee31a82027d86f5c35df9.png

Of added interest, I found out that nearby Malaysia's Langkawi Island, where Araminta's bachelorette party was held, was a setting for this movie at the Four Seasons Resort.  Before we arrive on our cruise from Mumbai, we will be visiting Langkawi.

It's all coming together wonderfully.   Great to sample these excellent sites in and nearby to Singapore via this movie.  

Athens & Greece: Visuals, details from two visits in a city and nearby with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 59,177 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

2 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate these great details and follow-up from our super helpful Singapore friend.  Great background and specifics.  

I did assume that the Gardens by the Bay were used much in this film for a variety of scenes.  At the end, I recognized this movie using the sky-high, roof-top pool at the Marina Bay Sands.    Also below is a visual I found on-line for the Chijmes, where Colin and Araminta's wedding takes place.

image.thumb.png.da16327211fee31a82027d86f5c35df9.png

Of added interest, I found out that nearby Malaysia's Langkawi Island, where Araminta's bachelorette party was held, was a setting for this movie at the Four Seasons Resort.  Before we arrive on our cruise from Mumbai, we will be visiting Langkawi.

It's all coming together wonderfully.   Great to sample these excellent sites in and nearby to Singapore via this movie.  

Athens & Greece: Visuals, details from two visits in a city and nearby with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 59,177 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Chijmes is only a short walk from Raffles. It’s full of restaurants and bars and has a lovely vibe at night. We wandered around and maybe sampled a bar or two 🥂

2 hours ago, Justpackingmybags said:

Chijmes is only a short walk from Raffles. It’s full of restaurants and bars and has a lovely vibe at night. We wandered around and maybe sampled a bar or two 🥂

Super appreciate this great follow-up about what is close and nearby to the Raffles and Chijmes.  Great news!

As mentioned earlier, we will be staying at the JW Marriott for two night after getting off of the Silversea Silver Moon on February 29, 2024.  

In checking, below is a map that I enhanced from Google showing our hotel in relations to the Raffles and this Crazy Rich Asians filming site.  Close!!!

image.thumb.png.94dd30598734ef4c40eacf92fa284890.png

Excellent to read your exciting summary: "full of restaurants and bars and has a lovely vibe at night."  Any specific and nearby dining, shopping, places to go to suggest and consider?  Keep it coming!  Wonderful sharing to be able to be learning so much and able to be better prepared.  

Dubrovnik!  Visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this super scenic and historic location. Over 51,487 views.    

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

9 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Excellent to read your exciting summary: "full of restaurants and bars and has a lovely vibe at night."  Any specific and nearby dining, shopping, places to go to suggest and consider?  Keep it coming!  Wonderful sharing to be able to be learning so much and able to be better prepared.  

Dubrovnik!  Visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this super scenic and historic location. Over 51,487 views.    

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Most places now have a website where it lists all tenants that are operating business on their property.

Chijmes is no different. 

Edited by agape01

On 10/11/2023 at 1:08 AM, agape01 said:

Most places now have a website where it lists all tenants that are operating business on their property.   Chijmes is no different. 

Aa always, great follow-up and helpful added information from our Singapore friend.  Today is just 120 days till we start our cruise from Mumbai on the way to Singapore.  

From MSN News this morning, they had this headline: Making the most of Singapore in 48 hours with these highlights: “It may be just a dot on the world map, but this small nation is brimming with both historical and modern attractions. Would it be enough time to enjoy the country’s world-renowned culinary attractions, incredible shopping scene and hidden gems?  There is no doubt about it – Singapore is in a league of its own when it comes to extravagance.  It is so worth looking beyond the flashy surface and exploring its local culture.”

Here is more from this interesting range of options and potential ton consider:  "I was keen to dive into the lively city, and headed straight for Gardens By The Bay.  Strolling around this famous area, it’s easy to see why Singapore is nicknamed the Green City, as you would be forgiven for forgetting that you were in the middle of a concrete jungle.  This is more than just a park – like everything in Singapore, it takes it one step further to impress visitors."

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/travel/tripideas/making-the-most-of-singapore-in-48-hours/ar-AA1ibUyA

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 33,963 views.  Many pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

31 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Aa always, great follow-up and helpful added information from our Singapore friend.  Today is just 120 days till we start our cruise from Mumbai on the way to Singapore.  

From MSN News this morning, they had this headline: Making the most of Singapore in 48 hours with these highlights: “It may be just a dot on the world map, but this small nation is brimming with both historical and modern attractions. Would it be enough time to enjoy the country’s world-renowned culinary attractions, incredible shopping scene and hidden gems?  There is no doubt about it – Singapore is in a league of its own when it comes to extravagance.  It is so worth looking beyond the flashy surface and exploring its local culture.”

Here is more from this interesting range of options and potential ton consider:  "I was keen to dive into the lively city, and headed straight for Gardens By The Bay.  Strolling around this famous area, it’s easy to see why Singapore is nicknamed the Green City, as you would be forgiven for forgetting that you were in the middle of a concrete jungle.  This is more than just a park – like everything in Singapore, it takes it one step further to impress visitors."

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/travel/tripideas/making-the-most-of-singapore-in-48-hours/ar-AA1ibUyA

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 33,963 views.  Many pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

I'll be around when you're docked in Singapore. If you like, i could take you around.

2 minutes ago, agape01 said:

I'll be around when you're docked in Singapore. If you like, i could take you around.

I believe you are also on the same celebrity Millenium cruise with us, ending in Singapore.  Looking forward to sharing the journey! 

6 minutes ago, Dobby36 said:

I believe you are also on the same celebrity Millenium cruise with us, ending in Singapore.  Looking forward to sharing the journey! 

We'll definitely hang out.

Looking forward in meeting you.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2023 at 3:52 AM, agape01 said:

Well, I live in Singapore and would gladly be of assistance.

As what you have asked for is way too generic for me to answer, just wanted to know what would you like to do, what would you like to know in the 3 days that you would be in my country.

I'm going to debark in Singapore next month and stay 10days.
I'm a solo male with carry-on and a backpack.

Right now I'm staying at the Holiday Inn Express @ Clarke Quay for $675 for 3 days.

the original plan was to then goto Kuala Lumpur for 7 days afterwards.

Now i'm staying all 10 days in Singapore. I could do $225/day for 3 days. But not $2250 for 10days. 😮
Any cheap places to stay near the casinos?
or which area to stay in that's near the casinos?

Edited by fstuff1

1 minute ago, fstuff1 said:

I'm going to debark in Singapore next month and stay 10days.
I'm a solo male with carry-on and a backpack.

Any cheap places to stay near the casinos?
or which area to stay in that's near the casinos?

You could possibly stay in the Chinatown area as there are cheaper accomodations. The subway or MRT is nearby and it's 2 subway stops away on the blue line otherwise known as the downtown line.

42 minutes ago, agape01 said:

You could possibly stay in the Chinatown area as there are cheaper accomodations. The subway or MRT is nearby and it's 2 subway stops away on the blue line otherwise known as the downtown line.

thx. these are the only 2 hotels booking.com recommends for Chinatown in my price range:

1) ST Signature Chinatown (1 full bed with window, shared bathroom, free breakfast, refundable, $1448 inc tax):

https://www.booking.com/hotel/sg/st-signature-chinatown.html?aid=356980&label=gog235jc-1DCAUoyQFCG3Jlc29ydC13b3JsZC1zZW50b3NhLWNhc2lub0gzWANorgGIAQGYATG4ARfIAQzYAQPoAQH4AQKIAgGoAgO4Ao3ss6kGwAIB0gIkZDhjOWI4MWMtOTE0YS00MTQ1LWE1ZWItN2Y2YzQ3NmFmNWQw2AIE4AIB&sid=aa228249ada71063204f173f47f29e30&atlas_src=sr_iw_btn;checkin=2023-11-03;checkout=2023-11-13;dest_id=0;dist=0;group_adults=2;group_children=0;highlighted_blocks=506021723_174862791_2_2_0;nflt=oos%3D1%3Bprice%3DUSD-min-230-1%3Bht_id%3D204%3Bany_deal%3D7;no_rooms=1;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;type=total;ucfs=1&

No window is $1314

2) Hotel 1888 Collection (1 queen, non refundable, $1333)

https://www.booking.com/hotel/sg/jinshan-hotel.html?aid=356980&label=gog235jc-1DCAUoyQFCG3Jlc29ydC13b3JsZC1zZW50b3NhLWNhc2lub0gzWANorgGIAQGYATG4ARfIAQzYAQPoAQH4AQKIAgGoAgO4Ao3ss6kGwAIB0gIkZDhjOWI4MWMtOTE0YS00MTQ1LWE1ZWItN2Y2YzQ3NmFmNWQw2AIE4AIB&sid=aa228249ada71063204f173f47f29e30&atlas_src=sr_iw_btn;checkin=2023-11-03;checkout=2023-11-13;dest_id=0;dist=0;group_adults=2;group_children=0;highlighted_blocks=25835002_141377953_2_0_0;nflt=oos%3D1%3Bprice%3DUSD-min-230-1%3Bht_id%3D204%3Bany_deal%3D7;no_rooms=1;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;type=total;ucfs=1&#tab-main

3) There's also my original choice of Holiday Inn Express at Clarke Quay 

- 1 queen bed

- breakfast included

- partially refundable

- $2136 

https://www.booking.com/hotel/sg/holiday-inn-express-singapore-clarke-quay.html?aid=356980&label=gog235jc-1DCAUoyQFCG3Jlc29ydC13b3JsZC1zZW50b3NhLWNhc2lub0gzWANorgGIAQGYATG4ARfIAQzYAQPoAQH4AQKIAgGoAgO4Ao3ss6kGwAIB0gIkZDhjOWI4MWMtOTE0YS00MTQ1LWE1ZWItN2Y2YzQ3NmFmNWQw2AIE4AIB&sid=aa228249ada71063204f173f47f29e30&dest_id=-73635&dest_type=city&nflt=oos%3D1%3Bprice%3DUSD-min-250-1&room1=A%2CA&group_adults=2&group_children=0&no_rooms=1&checkin=2023-11-03&checkout=2023-11-13&highlighted_blocks=81660003_108903893_2_1_0&atlas_src=sr_iw_title&ucfs=1

So which one? 

or pick another area?

7 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

thx. these are the only 2 hotels booking.com recommends for Chinatown in my price range:

1) ST Signature Chinatown (1 full bed with window, shared bathroom, free breakfast, refundable, $1448 inc tax):

https://www.booking.com/hotel/sg/st-signature-chinatown.html?aid=356980&label=gog235jc-1DCAUoyQFCG3Jlc29ydC13b3JsZC1zZW50b3NhLWNhc2lub0gzWANorgGIAQGYATG4ARfIAQzYAQPoAQH4AQKIAgGoAgO4Ao3ss6kGwAIB0gIkZDhjOWI4MWMtOTE0YS00MTQ1LWE1ZWItN2Y2YzQ3NmFmNWQw2AIE4AIB&sid=aa228249ada71063204f173f47f29e30&atlas_src=sr_iw_btn;checkin=2023-11-03;checkout=2023-11-13;dest_id=0;dist=0;group_adults=2;group_children=0;highlighted_blocks=506021723_174862791_2_2_0;nflt=oos%3D1%3Bprice%3DUSD-min-230-1%3Bht_id%3D204%3Bany_deal%3D7;no_rooms=1;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;type=total;ucfs=1&

No window is $1314

2) Hotel 1888 Collection (1 queen, non refundable, $1333)

https://www.booking.com/hotel/sg/jinshan-hotel.html?aid=356980&label=gog235jc-1DCAUoyQFCG3Jlc29ydC13b3JsZC1zZW50b3NhLWNhc2lub0gzWANorgGIAQGYATG4ARfIAQzYAQPoAQH4AQKIAgGoAgO4Ao3ss6kGwAIB0gIkZDhjOWI4MWMtOTE0YS00MTQ1LWE1ZWItN2Y2YzQ3NmFmNWQw2AIE4AIB&sid=aa228249ada71063204f173f47f29e30&atlas_src=sr_iw_btn;checkin=2023-11-03;checkout=2023-11-13;dest_id=0;dist=0;group_adults=2;group_children=0;highlighted_blocks=25835002_141377953_2_0_0;nflt=oos%3D1%3Bprice%3DUSD-min-230-1%3Bht_id%3D204%3Bany_deal%3D7;no_rooms=1;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;type=total;ucfs=1&#tab-main

3) There's also my original choice of Holiday Inn Express at Clarke Quay 

- 1 queen bed

- breakfast included

- partially refundable

- $2136 

https://www.booking.com/hotel/sg/holiday-inn-express-singapore-clarke-quay.html?aid=356980&label=gog235jc-1DCAUoyQFCG3Jlc29ydC13b3JsZC1zZW50b3NhLWNhc2lub0gzWANorgGIAQGYATG4ARfIAQzYAQPoAQH4AQKIAgGoAgO4Ao3ss6kGwAIB0gIkZDhjOWI4MWMtOTE0YS00MTQ1LWE1ZWItN2Y2YzQ3NmFmNWQw2AIE4AIB&sid=aa228249ada71063204f173f47f29e30&dest_id=-73635&dest_type=city&nflt=oos%3D1%3Bprice%3DUSD-min-250-1&room1=A%2CA&group_adults=2&group_children=0&no_rooms=1&checkin=2023-11-03&checkout=2023-11-13&highlighted_blocks=81660003_108903893_2_1_0&atlas_src=sr_iw_title&ucfs=1

So which one? 

or pick another area?

Alternatively you might want to try Wink at mosque street