Using AirportLink from cruise port to airport

dlh015

Tried the (almost useless) Search box but just a bunch of nothing really.  So...

After spending the day in Sydney, I intend to use AirportLink to the International airport terminal. (From Circular Quay)

Any reason I shouldn't?? I'll only have two bags.

Any tips/observations appreciated!

1 hour ago, dlh015 said:

Tried the (almost useless) Search box but just a bunch of nothing really.  So...

After spending the day in Sydney, I intend to use AirportLink to the International airport terminal. (From Circular Quay)

No reason at all not too use the the train to the airport. We have done it a few times. It is quite an easy walk from the cruise terminal (OPT) to Circular Quay. As long as you can get your bags on and off the train you will be fine.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dlh015 said:

We vary rarely use any other way than the train to the airport, fast and cost effective, way to go. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2023 at 2:03 PM, possum52 said:

As long as you can get your bags on and off the train you will be fine.

Is there a place to store suitcases on the train? How about Airport shuttle from Hotel?

Edited by Tedferg

2 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Is there a place to store suitcases on the train? How about Airport shuttle from Hotel?

We usually have just sat our luggage in front of us. We always sit in the level you enter the carriage from the platform.

Sydney Trains: Inside T62 from St James to Museum - YouTube

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Excellent, thanks.

Sorry, I didn;t answer the second part of your post. We have never used a shuttle from hotel to airport. If leaving from a hotel, unless close to a station, we will use a taxi to the airport.

13 hours ago, possum52 said:

Sorry, I didn;t answer the second part of your post. We have never used a shuttle from hotel to airport. If leaving from a hotel, unless close to a station, we will use a taxi to the airport.

Thanks, looks like $30 US so not bad, seemed like a long ride.

4 hours ago, lisabucsfan1 said:

Great post - thanks for starting this... question... can you successfully purchase tickets day of or is it better to pre-purchase?

Train or shuttle? 

4 hours ago, lisabucsfan1 said:

oh sorry I was assuming train since that was the topic - or my assumption of the topic... I didn't realize that AirportLink was also a shuttle.

On the day - in fact you can't prepay for an individual trip. (You can buy a stored value card in advance, but then you have the hassle of money left over, when there's no need unless you are using it long term).

However, they make it more convenient now in that you don't even need to buy tickets. You can just use your credit card and touch the gate to enter, and then the same card when you exit. You'll pay the same price as a regular ticket, but don't need to queue at a machine in advance to choose the right option/amount.

Edited by The_Big_M
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

However, they make it more convenient now in that you don't even need to buy tickets. You can just use your credit card and touch the gate to enter, and then the same card when you exit. You'll pay the same price as a regular ticket, but don't need to queue at a machine in advance to choose the right option/amount.

perfect - thanks for this information!!

On 7/18/2023 at 9:38 AM, possum52 said:

Train or shuttle? 

Sorry, I wasn't sure if you were referring to the airport train or to the posts above yours which were referring to a shuttle. I see that The_Big_M has comprehensively answered your question. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, possum52 said:

Sorry, I wasn't sure if you were referring to the airport train or to the posts above yours which were referring to a shuttle. I see that The_Big_M has comprehensively answered your question. 

I use a foldable electric wheelchair and am in pain 24/7.  As long as I am sedentary, pain medication helps.  However, walking or physically moving, pain medication doesn’t work. Taking this into consideration, our cruise ends in the am in Sydney.  The earliest flight to return to Honolulu is 9 pm.  The other people traveling with us are booking a tour that takes them directly to the airport at 4 pm, after the tour.  However, I read that each passenger can only have one carryon and one suitcase.  This can be booked through RCI.  Our airlines allow a personal item and one carryon plus one suitcase.  The people traveling with us were never told about tour limiting to one carryon.

What do you recommend?  My husband has only one arm and we usually hire porters at the airport.  Should we take the tour or catch a shuttle and spend the day at the airport?  It would be too difficult to board the train with our disabilities.

4 hours ago, iuki said:

I use a foldable electric wheelchair and am in pain 24/7.  As long as I am sedentary, pain medication helps.  However, walking or physically moving, pain medication doesn’t work. Taking this into consideration, our cruise ends in the am in Sydney.  The earliest flight to return to Honolulu is 9 pm.  The other people traveling with us are booking a tour that takes them directly to the airport at 4 pm, after the tour.  However, I read that each passenger can only have one carryon and one suitcase.  This can be booked through RCI.  Our airlines allow a personal item and one carryon plus one suitcase.  The people traveling with us were never told about tour limiting to one carryon.

What do you recommend?  My husband has only one arm and we usually hire porters at the airport.  Should we take the tour or catch a shuttle and spend the day at the airport?  It would be too difficult to board the train with our disabilities.

If you are concerned about what luggage you can take on the tour, I would just take your time and try to be one of the last off the ship, and take a taxi or shuttle to the airport. The The tour coaches are limited in space they have to store luggage. Find a comfortable spot to sit at the airport and people watch. Or if you want to do the tour check with your travel agent/cruise line if it is suitable for you to do.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, possum52 said:

If you are concerned about what luggage you can take on the tour, I would just take your time and try to be one of the last off the ship, and take a taxi or shuttle to the airport. The The tour coaches are limited in space they have to store luggage. Find a comfortable spot to sit at the airport and people watch. Or if you want to do the tour check with your travel agent/cruise line if it is suitable for you to do.

Thanks.  That’s what I was thinking of doing.  My SIL has been pushing us to join her and a friend on the tour.  She doesn’t seem to understand how cumbersome it is to manage everything.  Again - thank you.

Edited by iuki
Correct Autocorrect